Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 1997 - 2004 Bambi
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2005, 09:14 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I found it. Here is the link and what's on the bottom of the page:

http://www.chevrolet.com/suburban/specifications/

"Maximum trailer weight ratings are calculated assuming a base vehicle, except for any option(s) necessary to achieve the rating, plus driver. The weight of other optional equipment, passengers and cargo will reduce the maximum trailer weight your vehicle can tow. See your Chevy dealer for additional details."
This is what I meant: On the Dodge web site, went there since I am not a GM person, the max GCVW of a 2500 is 20,000 lbs, the max towing capacity is 13,100 lbs, leaving 6900 lbs for the truck and cargo. The base curb weight is 6076 lbs leaving 824 lbs for passengers and cargo in the truck. If you exceed the 824 lbs then of course the towing capacity goes down since you will be over 20,000 lbs. The max GVW of the truck alone is 9,000 lbs, if you load the truck to this, the towing capacity goes down to 11,000 lbs.

I used my two vehicles as examples since I believe that it is better to use specifics and not hypotheticals. I had no intention to hijack the discussion of the capabilities of the 4Runner to old Dodge trucks and old Lincolns. I just disagree with some of the statements on towing capacities and the calculation thereof.

I am one of the few people who tow with old iron and as a result may have a different viewpoint.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 12:30 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Bellevue , Washington
Post 4Runner should be Ok

We towed our 2004 19' Bambi Safari with a 1999 GMC Jimmy six cylinder through the Washington Cascade Mountains and out on the high desert plateau in Eastern Oregon. We had no trouble towing. The Jimmy has its limitations going up hill. You are not going to go 65 mph through Snoqualmie pass. But it did the job. We weren't satisfied with the Jimmy and just bought a new 2005 4Runner SR5 V6. It is rated with more torque and horsepower than the Jimmy even though it has a smaller engine. Also, a weight distributing hitch upped the towing capacity to 6,000 lbs. We still need to get past the first 500 miles in order to try it out. I confident we will do better than we did with the Jimmy. We also have a Hensley Arrow hitch. Considered overkill by many and it's pricey, but we have mastered the hook up and driving down the road with the Jimmy, rated at 5,000 lbs. was a smooth stress free experience. I would bet you will be OK towing with one of the lighter Airstreams with your 4Runner.

Good luck and enjoy
jschelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 12:45 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Thumbs down A voice of reason

Ok, yep you can do it!

But my advice is don't.

I pulled my bambi with my 2000 Jeep Cherokee 4.0. It towed it, but a short wheel base and not enough power gave me ulcers! and grey hair, (dont' laugh Janet) I even took mine through the cascades to leavenwoth and down to sisters Oregon. STRESS!

Ever heard the term tail waging the dog? Bambi weighed 3800 pounds and I kept it lean, I had weight distribution and man I was burned out and tired from fighting the trucks on the highway, going up grades, listening to the engine whine in First and second gear and overall feeling that any day my number was up.

So advice to you is "tow with heavier longer based rig with some power" or get an old light weight trailer.

Sorry if I come across blunt, but I feel it is not as safe as with a bigger rig.

Good luck,

CC
Old 05-18-2005, 05:39 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

For all of you that shared your thoughts and experiences with me I thank you very much. If you look in my garage you will see my wifes much loved 4Runner and next to it is a new Nissan Titan V8 with the "big tow package" rated at 9400 lbs. Now everyone is happy and I have many more options. May look at the 28 footers.
Once again thanks!
Alan
inflt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 10:15 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by inflt
For all of you that shared your thoughts and experiences with me I thank you very much. If you look in my garage you will see my wifes much loved 4Runner and next to it is a new Nissan Titan V8 with the "big tow package" rated at 9400 lbs. Now everyone is happy and I have many more options. May look at the 28 footers.
Once again thanks!
Alan
Good choice!!!!!!!--------Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote