Old 06-16-2004, 03:21 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2005 Bambi 19' interior scratch repair input please!

Hello to all,

I'm new to forum and airstream ownership, husband and I purchased this in Calif and it's a 19' International with the shiny interior, only thing of concern is large scratch in curved panel to right of sink.

Having no idea fix is an issue, we agreed to purchase as they said will replace panel and will look same as new. After reading posts here I am worried of result! Going tomorrow to finish details of sale but have signed offer to purchase and left large deposit on 6/13, with check dated tomorrow. Am thinking new unit better idea if fix is not perfect?

Any thoughts/input much appreciated, it's a new dealer in San Diego County, in El Cajon Ca, and hopefully will do what is right or I will be unhappy new camper!

Old 06-16-2004, 05:18 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
My $.02 worth:

Do not take delivery of the trailer (finish the closing) until the panel has been replaced and is acceptable to you. Once you take delivery you own it and if they create a disaster you are stuck with it. This way if they mess it up you can say it is unacceptable and walk, or pick another unit. The dealer wants to close the sale, so they will promise the moon to get it done.

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 07:37 AM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Brett is right on.......don't finish squat until it's fixed the way you want it.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:54 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

...ditto -- BTW, our Safari 28W had a scratch there too, and they fixed it and it appears new.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:45 AM   #5
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
When I picked up my new ccd at Paul Sherry, I was on the very initial walk around of the trailer when the dealer, not me, noticed two little dings in the front of the unit, just above the stainless rock guards. One of the dings was on the left side of the unit, and the second on the right.

They are very small. About 1/8".

About half dozen people including service dept., and the guy who actually picks up the trailers from Jackson Center took a look, they called Airstream, and even took digital photos to send to Jackson Center. They were trying to figure out what to do...

The dilema for me: There would be only one way for my situation to be totally resolved, and that would be complete replacement of two curved panels on my new AS. Of coarse if this were a customer paid for deal (which it would not have been), the repair/replace costs would have been thousands of dollars.

The ??? was do I want AS to tear apart my new unit, possibly never getting it back together quite right again, or is this minor enough to not keep me up at night.

When I walked around their lot at Paul Sherry and looked at every other coach, only one of the 15-20 units they had, had any minor imperfections.

My card was up.

In my case, I decided that I was going to live with this. Had these beeen any larger, I might have taken a more aggressive approach.

I also might have gone in a different direction had the dealer not shown me they were REALLY concerned about this. A real class act.

So Rhodie, ask yourself: If it IS a really large scratch, I guess the decission is easier, especially since it is in an area that you are constantly looking at, but if it looks really big because it is new, that is another consideration, but as the others have said, decide before signing on the dotted line.

Hope I didn't confuse further.

Jonathan

BTW: going to and from a AS Rally in Illinois this last weekend, I already picked up a few scratches here and there on my trailer, thanks to a small stretch of oil/gravel road leading into the park.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:02 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Appreciate all advice givin here, I will follow it. I have signed offer to purchase and left large deposit but going today to get financing through them so nothing is finalized yet. Will accept repair first, this makes sense and then am not stuck with a problem or can order another. Should I still leave this deposit, or ask for it back till this is acceptable repair and then do the financing?

BTW on your 28'Safari, how did they fix it? I was told they would replace panel but if scratch just in clear coat can they polish it out? I did make it clear I do not want to notice a repair in any way and we are far from any factory here!

Thanks again, this is a great group!
Old 06-16-2004, 11:12 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Missed last post, and to that the scratch is pretty noticable. I'm 5'1 and it's at eye level on that curve, about 10" long. I think it would make me crazy if not fixed but am also worried about repair. The dealers you went to sound like good people and I have no reason to think otherwise here, so will hope for good outcome.

BTW Johathan, no one could confuse me anymore than I am!

Thanks again everyone
Old 06-16-2004, 11:16 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
I don't know whether I can offer a solution to your concern, but if misery loves company, I can sure sympathize with your dilemna because a month or so ago I took delivery (and paid for) a new 2004 30' Classic Ltd. that had (and still has) a rather long list of quality defects.

Although I saw a number of these items before taking delivery of my unit, since getting it home (and getting up on a ladder) I've found a number of other concerns, including numerous scratches -- most of them are on the exterior, and several (but not all) of those are over the awnings, or on the roof -- places where I suspect the guys who built my unit don't give a rat's as*, probably thinking most people won't look there, or won't care.

My unit also has slashes, cuts, drill holes, burn marks in the vinyl floor and on the bathroom wall inside, as well, plus a number of other less flagrant "dings" in the woodwork.

If you are considering taking possession of this unit, I'd suggest you take a REAL CLOSE LOOK all over before making your final decision. When you can see such an obvious scratch as you've mentioned, I wouldn't be at all surprised if there are other scratches in less obvious places.

Between you and me, I'm beginning to think those guys at Jackson Center need something more severe than high warranty claims and dissatisfied customers to shake them out of these habits.

John
Old 06-16-2004, 12:29 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Was the scratch on the inside or outside? Mine was on the inside on the stainless backsplash -- they tore it out and replaced it. My 28W came with a CCD-like kitchen treatment...it was a panel about 18 inches by 5 feet...looked like they got it with a screwgun that walked accross it.

They also fixed up the countertop at the same time, so they had the kitchen mostly dissassembled -- on the work order, it took them 8 hours of labor to do it.

When they fixed a slit on the wall treatment, instead of replacing the entire panel, they spliced it, and it looks worse than the original problem...so I understand your concern...

I have since found other, smaller slits and such. If you look in the track the quality of 04's thread, you can get an idea of what people have done and how the factory does repair work...

It is going back to Jackson Center after a weeklong trip to Hershey in July, for the next punch list of flaws...I have done it this way because I live an hour from the factory...

-R
Old 06-16-2004, 12:58 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

...nevermind...interiror...duh!
Old 06-16-2004, 01:13 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Here is a photo...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scratch.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	7220  
Old 06-16-2004, 02:15 PM   #12
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
It is a tough call...if only these things weren't so hard to take apart and then put back together, well I guess it wouldn't be an AS then....

It seems like they would have to remove the trim around the windows, pull the kitchen, who knows.

How about this..renegotiate the original quoted price of your coach, figuring how much it might cost AS/dealer to fix the scratch, and then camp happily ever after.

I wish I had followed my own advice when I got mine, but I was sleep deprived, and mind fogged over in aluminum haze.

Jonathan
Old 06-16-2004, 08:32 PM   #13
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Opinions...

Everyone has an opinion... here's mine!

Leave the deposit, and let them finance the trailer, but tell them you're not signing the documents or taking delivery until the panel is replaced "to the customer's satisfaction". They'll cringe, cry, hedge, and moan... but they'll fix it to close the sale. They know you're a serious buyer and if all that's standing between them and your money is that panel, they'll replace it and do it right.

If they don't or won't, get your deposit back and walk. There are a million Airstreams out there for sale at dealerships (well, maybe dozens), and more coming off the line every day. You'll find another if that one's not suitable.

After they've fixed it, and you give it your stamp of approval, sign the docs, take delivery and go on your way as the newest Airstream owner in the country (at least for a little while!)

Roger
Old 06-16-2004, 10:22 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Well, here's the latest. My dealer who is showing he is very fair and honest, knew I would not accept a noticabe scratch. He called AS and they instructed him to use a clear coat safe compound to buff it out, as ripping out panel not a good option. That didn't work and now he is ordering me a new trailer and doing the best he can to get one asap, which is more than fair. It's a bad deal all around for the dealer though who is stuck with a trailer in need of repair because of a careless person who walked through it, and the fix was maybe worse than the scratch.

This dealer in El Cajon, Ca has earned our respect and is returning deposit and accepting a lesser deposit to order the new one. Other than having to wait now for this new toy of ours, husband and I are soon to be a happy campers.

Thanks again for all input, it really helped guide me through this problem
and I can't wait to post again when it arrives, as I now know where to go for advice on these things!!

Signing off from La Mesa Ca in San Diego County, where you see none of these trailers! We didn't even know they were made anymore so this dealer should do well as they are really cool and nowhere to be seen on this coast.