Old 10-01-2009, 08:16 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2007 19' Safari SE
Hood River , hood river
2004 Bambi 19

Hi all, new user. My name is Scott Zagarino and I'm a long time Airstream fan about to possibly purchase a 2004 Bambi and could use a little advice on two topics.

I work raising money for prostate cancer research and I'm using the AS as a mobile office. Athletes for a Cure > Home

1. The 2004 Bambi I'm about to purchase is in great shape with a few extras. The price is $25,000. Is that in the ballpark? Hard to nail down used values.

2. I've been told my 6 cylinder Toyota Pre Runner has the guts for this tow. Any comments or suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

zagarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:53 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member
2009 19' International
Calgary , Alberta
Hi Scott

Welcome to the forum!

I think the problem you're going to run into is not the towing capacity of your (fore?)runner, but the payload capacity. Check your owners manual for your GVWR and GCWR numbers to see how much you have to work with. The trailer will put about 10-15% of its own weight onto the vehicles hitch.

We have an '09 Bambi 19' international which we tow with a 2000 V8 Tundra. Our '19 puts about 400 lbs of weight on the hitch loaded but dry. That added to any additional gear you carry, plus fuel, people, etc. could quickly max out your payload. With careful weight management on cargo, a weight-distributing hitch (with anti sway of course), and sensible driving, we manage okay but I personally wouldn't want to tow this trailer with a smaller vehicle, especially if you plan to tow a lot in the mountains - but that's just me :-)

Freeheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:59 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member
2008 25' Safari
Jasper , Georgia
Welcome to the Forums. All the answers are here.

$25,000 seems on the high side for a 6 year-old Bambi. Check prices on Ebay and in the Forums Classifieds for similar units.

You should look up the towing capacity of your Toyota on the website.
Look for the Towing Guide box on right side of the home page.

The GVW of the Bambi you are looking at should be less than 80% of your tow rating.
You can get Airstream Trailer weights at Airstream, Inc :: Home

Good luck with your quest!

Paul&Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:32 AM   #4
. , .
Originally Posted by zagarino View Post
...I'm using the AS as a mobile office...
hi scott, welcome aboard.

16 or 19 footer?

each unit has a placard indicating base weight, gross weight, weight of water/lpg and CARRY CAPACITY.

find this info on the unit.

SOME of the 03-05 bambis have LESS THAN 200 lbs of carry capacity

given that is food, clothes, utensils, toys, gadgets and camping essentials...

there won't be much left over for basic OFFICE needs.

an older runner ENGINE might be fine on the flats, but brakes, tranny, cooling and suspension may need a LOT of attention.

the WIND, winding roads and GRADE in your region will challenge the combo, and as already mentioned,

the runner doesn't have much payload left once the tongue and hitch are loaded.

LOTS of towing info here, LOTS of threads on pricing and LOTS of help with your selections.

reading is good

all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:20 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member
2007 19' Safari SE
Hood River , hood river
Thanks everyone

While I'm kind of bummed to get the news that you guys delivered which is going to keep me out of my Airstream for another year, it's great to have such a reliable source for AS info.

Almost everyone I talked to before I got here told me the Pre-Runner would be a toss-up, you guys convinced me it's not enough for the AS, so I passed until I can afford a full-size truck.

Thanks for all of the help. I'll be around until we are part of the "family."

zagarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:23 AM   #6
Rivet Master
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Sorry I have not visited in a while.. Our Bambi is winterized, so interests have shifted. I'd say 25k for the Bambi your looking at is in the ballpark. We paid a little less than that for a 2002 last yr. I bought used from a dealer. I could have saved $$ with ebay, or the fleamarket here, but I wanted the local dealer involved. As it turned out we had a lot done to our 02 to get it the way we wanted it. All at NC. I am not a mechanic, and will let the dealer do as much as possible especially if its in the No Charge catagory..
I do want to tell you though that pulling a Bambi with a pre-runner should be no problem.. We pulled ours all over last year with a Tacoma. I have the 4x4 double cab, but we are talking about the same engine.
I went thru passes in CO, across KS at 65-70 mph (it really cuts your mpgs) The Tacoma handled it with ease.
I never felt like the Bambi was "pushing" me at any time. Idid take it easy coming down the steep grades. Put it in 2nd gear, and hardly touched the brakes. I was not the fastest guy going up the mountain, but not the slowest either.
Once again, sorry I did not see your post earlier.
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:00 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Half Moon Bay , California
First off, check all the Pre-Runner factory specs for every weight factor, load and CGVW in particular.And give it a very thorough maintenance - transmission, lube, ball joints, laternator, et al. If the Bambi is still available I"d be surprised. But if so, drop the price a couple of thousands, purchase a really good WD hitch and sway control with the savings, and use it with your Pre-runner. and see how it goes. It all depends - sometimes "legal
is berely adequate, with other combinations, it may be legal, but there is in sense in having he truck with its tongue hanging out all the time. Might be you could take ir easy for a year ot two which you save enough for the truck with all the features you reallly want. And a 19 ft Bambi won't be leaving much room for office staff and equipment. jsutro

jsutro is offline   Reply With Quote

bambi, office