Old 10-12-2003, 07:33 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Send a message via Yahoo to dhe9
2003 couch forward

saw on another board a picture of a '02 bambi that had a couch forward instead of the table and seats. has anyone seen this before and if i wanted to convert my '03 to a couch area, how would i go about it?

'03 19' bambi
dhe9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 08:17 AM   #2
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Dtbw(David) has an '02 with the front couch. I'd send him a PM not only because he has that config, but he's also pretty fearless when it came to upgrading the interior. I would think that you could remove the table and seats and install the couch.

You may have to move some of the electronics in the street side seat and water tank, but I am sure it can be done....

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 11:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master
2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
David's Bambi was equipped with the couch (and overhead bunk bed) from the factory. Perhaps he can shoot some pictures of how things are laid out underneath it for you.

You can download the 2003 Safari/Bambi Parts Manual here, get the part numbers you need on page III-9, and have a dealer get pricing on them from Airstream for you.

There may be other parts besides these that you'll need.
RoadKingMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 11:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master
2005 28' Classic
Austin (Hays County) , Texas

The couches from the larger Airstreams will fit without the big padded armrests. Look for a wrecked later-model Airstream. I very nearly put one on my International from another A/S.
John W. Irwin
2005 Classic 28 "Sabre-Dog III"
2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison LTZ
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 07:35 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
Send a message via Yahoo to dhe9
couch forward

lots of information guys. thanks, i believe i may look into this.

'03 19' bambi
dhe9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 12:19 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member
I too was romancing the idea of having a comfy couch forward on my new Bambi instead of the booth....but then was discussing this with another owner who pointed out that you really need somewhere to eat...and that if you have the couch then you have to fiddle with the table and insert the base into the hole in the floor which extends farther into the traffic pattern and blocks the way to the door and hard to get around! I quickly decided that the dinette is the best choice in this small configuration and to leave the couches to the larger roomier models.
I also have always loved going to Diners with booths to yak over a cup of coffee for 'hours' and feel that looking into your partners' eyes instead of being next to was more romantic anyway...and what if you have to get up 'all of a sudden'????You'd be trapped!
"A mind stretched to a new idea never returns to its original dimension." -Oliver Wendell Holmes
Babyblueyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 09:12 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member
1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
Front coach

As has been mentioned, our Bambi is one of only a handful that A/S has built with the front sofa. It was our decision that we wanted it over the dinette. The sofa is the same unit used in the Safari models. A/S uses the same water tank, just turned crossways under the roadside portion of the sofa. The waterpump is located in the roadside armrest area.

As for the eating area, we typically eat outside. We have full sized ZipDee awnings on both sides so there is always a shady place and we like being outdoors. We carry folding tv tables that can be used indoors or out. There is NO table included in the front coach model of the Bambi, at least not the last time I checked. I have designed and purchased hardware to make a detachable table that connects to the roadside wall, but have not yet built it. It includes a sliding, popup extension that will extend almost the full width of the sofa. Once I build it, I will post pics. The way I have it designed, it will store the space between the bed and the bathroom wall perfectly. I am still debating whether to make the table out of corian to match our counters, or go with something lighter (corian is extremely heavy).

As has also been noted, our Bambi is very much our creation. Other than the appliances and cabinets, there is nothing original about the interior. I had the Bambi at the factory back in Oct and the new CEO as well as the Dir of Engineering spent about an hour going over our modifications. It also drew a steady parade of other A/S employees while in the shop.

david & bret
'02 Bambi LS
'99 34' Limited
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 05:00 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member
Richmond , Virginia
I ordered my 2004 Bambi with the couch forward. Got it in leather. Figured the fixed dinette was pretty much wasted space in a small space. You know, three meals a day, then what. I'm thinking, eat outside, a couple of TV trays. I think watching TV will be better on the couch and hate to limit nap space to only the bed!

I think Paul Sherry RV has pictures of a 2004 Bambi forward couch on its website. Saw it yesterday.

Mine will start prodcution 3/23 with late April delivery.

WBCCI #2468
2006 Ford F-150 Lariart 4X4
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
luckydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 08:34 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Our 2002 19' Bambi has a sofa

We purchased our Bambi with the sofa. It is a factory-installed custom solution as A/S wasn't offering it as an option in 2002.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front_sofa.gif
Views:	231
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	6742  

WBCCI Region One

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote