Old 04-04-2003, 12:41 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Thanks for the great info on the Reese v. Hensley. It is exactly the information I was looking for. Thanks also for posting the details on the carpet replacement. I will print it out and save it.

Doug and I are in the early shopping stages for a Bambi. We are slow at this (as we are with any large purchase) and it will probably be a while yet before we plunk down the money. We've learned a lot from the forums. We'll probably buy a lightly used model and put the saved money toward interior upgrades, a new Hensley hitch, and the extra awning now that we've seen yours!

As you can see, the thread you started has helped us a lot and we're looking forward to seeing future posts about your Airstream experience.

Old 04-04-2003, 03:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Lots of folks may think that while it's okay on a big trailer, a Hensley is overkill on a Bambi. But does a 4500 lb GVWR 19'2" Bambi need a Hensley any less a 9800 lb GVWR 34'10" Limited? If anything, I think the Bambi needs it more.

If you knock off 3' for the tongue, you're left with a trailer body length of about 16 and 32 feet respectively. With virtually the same exterior height, the Bambi has almost exactly half the "sail area" of the big trailer, but it's held down by about 10% less weight per square foot of sail area. The larger trailer also has a 6" wider track, which when given the same height, provides additional stability against crosswinds, not to mention six shock absorbers providing more control of the weight. And finally, there's the issue of a flat tire taking out 100% of one side's load capacity vs 33%.

That's just my perspective on it.

Old 04-04-2003, 03:34 PM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
This one could go round and round and round.

I have a Reese and although I haven't pulled my Bambi far yet, we have pulled a 17' and a 24' SOB over most of the U.S. and parts of Canada with a Ford LTD (400 ci) wagon and then with a 454 Suburban. The 17' was a single axle and the 24' was a dual axle. In the end, the Reese has done just fine, but I understand that some really like other things that are out there. My current Reese, with 1,000lb bars, sway and brake unit and wiring was $800- installed.

If some care to spend more and it's safe, I say why not. My .02, I don't think other more expensive stuff is any more, less safe or helpful in an emerg situation. BTW... on the 17' we had a blowout. A bit of luck and a whole bunch of towing skill is what saved the day. Also going 55-60 helped.

Eric
Old 04-04-2003, 03:48 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Used Hensleys

Just caught this post on RV.net:

http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/f...TID/710596.cfm
Old 04-04-2003, 07:36 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
, Ohio
Appears you have a bunk above your lounge. How do you like this?..

BTW. very nice job your bambi is very appealing inside.
Old 04-06-2003, 09:26 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
RE: Bunk above couch

JPAirstream,
We probably would not have ordered the bunk, but the dealer had done so. In afterthought, it has the advantage of offering a LOT more storage than the standard front locker. We removed the ladder attachment point and the mattress so as to allow us to use the space. A/S was smart to have included two doors on the foldup portion so we can access the space easily. If you want even more accessability, you can just drop the front entirely. My plans are to make a shelf system to slide into the bunk area, as we are not able to totally use the space and more storage space is always welcome, especially in the Bambi. When I make the shelf system, I am going to do some rework on the A/S design for the folding portion of the bunk as the exposed aluminum latch pin looks cheap and something of an afterthought. My plans are to anchor the shelf system to the secured portion of the bunk and then create the latching mechanism to lock the folding portion to the added shelf system. This will totally eliminate that cheap aluminum rod that A/S uses to hold the folding section upright. I also will be able to rework the area between the top of the folding section and the roof. In the A/S design there is a gap that varies from 1-2.45 inches. I am just going to make a recessed filler panel that will be covered in the leather of the couch (it will kind of mirror the effect seen on the rear locker above the bed).

On how well the unit might have really worked as a bunk, I will say that it is very well made and extremely robust once the ladder is locked into place. A child though pre-teen would probably do fine up there, but any larger would be a bit cramped. A/S states the load limit as 175, but I would hate to see a 175 person up there and I really don't think two kids that equaled 175 would find the area deep enough for two.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:17 PM   #21

Cool Question about curtains

[QUOTE=dtbw]JPAirstream,
Loved your curtains. I'd like to do the same with my new one. I'm not happy with the interior colors, either. How did you hang them? What type of curtain rod did you use? Can you screw directly into the inner wall without causing problems?

Thanks for your help and advice.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:42 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Afton
Photo's ?

.........Also cannot find photo's. Don't see the word "photo's" at the bottom of their post. What am i doing wrong?
bob r...
Old 11-29-2004, 05:33 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
Sorry about taking so long to get back to you. I reused the existing slide rails that A/S installed in our '02 Bambi. I did NOT reuse the elastic. I used a binding tape for the top loop thru the slide and new elastic at the bottom. This ensures that the curtains always hang perfectly from the top yet maintains the tension (the elastic at the bottom).

David
[QUOTE=madhog]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbw
JPAirstream,
Loved your curtains. I'd like to do the same with my new one. I'm not happy with the interior colors, either. How did you hang them? What type of curtain rod did you use? Can you screw directly into the inner wall without causing problems?

Thanks for your help and advice.
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 05:57 PM   #24
Craftsman

Much more inviting interior. Excellent work. I's always nicer to have exactly what you want instead of just accepting the limited interior options available from the factory.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:20 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
If you click on the poster's handle you will get a drop down menu and one of the choices is to view the members photo gallery. That is where you will find the photos. You can also attach photos to a specific post/

david
Quote:
Originally Posted by brohloff
.........Also cannot find photo's. Don't see the word "photo's" at the bottom of their post. What am i doing wrong?
bob r...
Air Forums # 2159
WBCCI # 7548
Old 11-30-2004, 12:08 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
1980 28' International
Avon , Colorado
Send a message via AIM to rfield54
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbw
If you click on the poster's handle you will get a drop down menu and one of the choices is to view the members photo gallery. That is where you will find the photos. You can also attach photos to a specific post/
david
It doesn't work. Is it because I use a Mac?

AIR #2753

www.roybloomfield.com
rfield54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 09:47 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
Which browser are you using, Explorer, Netscape or Safari (all three are available for the MAC)? As the link functionality is browser based, there is a possibility that there could be something going on with the MAC version of whatever browser you are using, but the MAC per say is not the issue. If you are not using Explorer, you might try downloading the MAC version and seeing if that fixes the problem (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfield54
It doesn't work. Is it because I use a Mac?
Air Forums # 2159
WBCCI # 7548
Old 11-30-2004, 12:22 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
1980 28' International
Avon , Colorado
Send a message via AIM to rfield54
No luck yet. I did download the latest Explorer, though (thanks for the tip). I also tried Netscape. Unless I'm alone, this might be an issue for the moderators. Thanks anyway . . . Roy

AIR #2753

www.roybloomfield.com
rfield54 is offline   Reply With Quote