Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 1997 - 2004 Bambi
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-15-2006, 05:15 PM   #1

2001 Bambi Black Water Tank

Does anyone know how large a black water tank I can fit into a 19' foot Bambi. It currently has an 8 gal. which is not sufficient.

many thanks,
george
winethief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 06:31 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Starting in model year 2003, the tank was upgraded to an 18 gallon tank. I would think the housing specs would be the same. The black tank I believe sits for the most part under the raised platform the head sits on.

So, I'm thinking that yes, you might be able to fit the factory 18 gallon tank in the space the 8 gallon resides, but I would contact the factory just to make sure. They can provide part numbers, etc as well.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:40 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Falmouth , Massachusetts
George,
I had my 2001 19ft Bambi at JC for work in 2002, during which they changed out my 8gal blackwater tank with an 18gal. At that time, it was the first upgrade they had ever done. I have some pictures of my Bambi, which I presently have the belly skin off, showing this blackwater tank installation. I am happy I had it done.
Marshall
mswartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 09:46 PM   #4

May I ask how much the 18 gallon cost to install and the parts, etc.

Thanks for responding,
George
winethief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 07:03 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Falmouth , Massachusetts
The installation of my 18 gal blackwater tank was performed while the factory, under their warranty, was replacing the four lower quarterpanels due to corrosion and had some of the working area exposed. I don't have the receipt but recall it was more than $500, which I was told was discounted due to the experimental nature of the work at that time and the hassle factor.

At the time, I did not request installation of the black-tank flush connection. I understand from several other posts that this is a nice feature, but early installations (I don't know if these were retrofit or new installations of the 18gal tank with flush) apparently had occasional problems with leaking in the freshwater flush line.

If you decide to look into that feature, search this forum, including such threads as:
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ush-20418.html
and
http://www.airforums.com/forum...stem-3592.html
and
http://www.airforums.com/forum...lush-3583.html
mswartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:21 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Elgin , Texas
Bambi 19 woes

I realize this is an ancient thread but I am desperate.
I bought a 2001 Bambi 19 3 months ago and have been full timing in Austin Texas since. I left for Wyoming last week and had a blowout that ripped the the grey and black water plumbing of the trailer. I am now in Rawlins Wy. without access to any suppliers of parts and cannot figure out how to access the BW tank. Any help is very much appreciated.
4seasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Pictures would be nice. Inside and outside.
There are 2 hardware stores in Rawlins.
Should have ABS or PVC and primer or cleaner and glue.
Look for RV parts on the net in Rawlins. There is one.
Is Rawlins your final destination?
Is the coach towable?
Do you have the belly pan off to where you can see the floor of the coach?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:35 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Pictures would be nice. Inside and outside.
There are 2 hardware stores in Rawlins.
Should have ABS or PVC and primer or cleaner and glue.
Look for RV parts on the net in Rawlins. There is one.
Is Rawlins your final destination?
Is the coach towable?
Do you have the belly pan off to where you can see the floor of the coach?
Rawlins is a temporary stop. I got hold of an excelent Airstream parts guy in CO and he was able to find all parts but the reducer fittings at BW and GW tanks. They are supposed to be shipping 3day expedited. I can still tow but will need to button up the left side pan and trim to do so. From underneath it does not appear the BW tank can be accessed as it is above plywood. I am still trying to figure out how to do that. I will remove toilet today and see if that reveals anything.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:38 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Elgin , Texas
Pics available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswartz View Post
George,
I had my 2001 19ft Bambi at JC for work in 2002, during which they changed out my 8gal blackwater tank with an 18gal. At that time, it was the first upgrade they had ever done. I have some pictures of my Bambi, which I presently have the belly skin off, showing this blackwater tank installation. I am happy I had it done.
Marshall
Hi Marshall. Are these pics of the BW still available? They may help me to figure out how to get to the tank. Thanks.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:02 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Where are you headed?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:45 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Elgin , Texas
The long answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Where are you headed?
I started in Austin Texas. I sold my house and bought the Bambi after a divorce. The plan was to head back to the Appalachians where I grew up and find some land to buy. When my must leave by date hit my ex was in WY for work and I felt I needed to see her one last time before disappearing (we were together for 33 years and no, I’m not over it). So I decided to go the long way out east. I am trying to keep the heartbeat of my plan alive thru this set back.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:45 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Elgin , Texas
I am back in Austin and finally figured out how to get the BW tank out. I have not been able to find anything about the upgrade to 18 gallons (from 8 gal) other than what is mentioned above. Airstream offers a 17.3 gal. tank that came in later Bambi’s but won’t guarantee a fit in my 2001. I have not been able to reach the fellow that posted above that had the upgrade done and had photos. Is there a way on this forum to see if he is still active here?
Old 06-10-2022, 03:44 PM   #13
Superannuated Member

2001 19' Bambi
Beaver Lake , Arkansas
My 2001 Bambi has an 8 gal. tank that sits on top the trailer subfloor. The toilet platform is the black water tank. If there is an 18 gal (or 17.3 gal) upgrade it must surely extend down into the belly pan area, and crossmembers, etc. could interfere. Need to ask some questions to see if it would fit our 2001 models.
Aironius is offline   Reply With Quote