Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 1997 - 2004 Bambi
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2004, 06:10 PM   #81
4 Rivet Member

Angry

Hi Jamie:
C&G did a good job of putting it back on better than the factory. If you like I'll try and photograph - post the fix? I would like to think Airstream will pay you back for trouble.
When ours fell it took out the black wardrobe with it, wires and all. I'm glad you found it loose and it didn't fall on you while sleeping!
Everybody... please check your cabinets!
Old 09-22-2004, 08:40 PM   #82
3 Rivet Member

Everybody... please check your cabinets!

Hi Linda; I never have. Which means its even money it isn't attached right. Please describe what you need to check and the fix. I wonder what it will take for AS to ever issue something like an alert (forget recall) for persistent problems which arise in a significant percent of any model. I'd heard they had hired a QC supervisor. Suspect he's been canned, or joined the Borg with the other Thor execs (whom I suspect to be a farm team of ENRON).
frozen chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 01:11 AM   #83
4 Rivet Member

<Everybody... please check your cabinets!>
<Which means its even money it isn't attached right.> I would't take that bet! Yes, I'll post pics ASAP.
BTW Jaime: Did Airstream fix your missing black tank flush? My bet still stands that you should have had one on your 16'er!
Old 09-23-2004, 10:20 PM   #84
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Arcata , California
Linda, I never pursued the black tank flush. I'm 300 miles from the closest AS dealer/shop and I really haven't missed what I didn't know I should have. I pour several buckets full of fresh water down the can at my last dump before home and then empty that out. A little more water for the drive home and everything seems to be fine.

Just a thought on the refrig question. Do you have both the gas/electric and the temp. dials in the off position? Maybe that is keeping juice to the refrig and activating the thermo-thingy on the fan.

Still with all the problems these little 16'ers are so darned neat!!!

Jamie
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 10:55 PM   #85
4 Rivet Member

Thanks Eric and Jamie: It's off now... very wierd! It'll be plugged in all night and I'll check it periodically during the day to verify whether I'm crazy! I'm worried about the battery too. I'd figure I was mistaken if Bob hadn't discovered it running first.
I need to take photos of the back cabinet fix.
Maybe the little guy is just urging us to swap out the fan for better ones, or signaling us to take it somewhere fun?
Old 09-24-2004, 05:16 PM   #86

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen chosen
Have any of you been disappointed with your battery output? Ours has the lifespan of a mayfly. I drove 3 hours this weekend, and found the charge down to 12.4 after only about an hour,
Don't forget to check the humidity switch on the fridge. That switch provides heat around the perimeter of the door keeping water from condensing. Its very easy to miss and leave in the on position. I know I have forgotten it and it will chew up a battery in not too short order. It works independently from the fridge on and off switch.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 03:41 PM   #87
1 Rivet Member

Battery, etc

Hi Friends,

My wife and I just returned from a week in the Black Hills of SD in our new 16. What a good time, after we arrived... the trip across our state took place on a day with 40+ mph winds, and higher gusts. I actually was very pleased w/ our stability (not blowing around the road), but my truck was a bit underpowered to tackle such a strong cross-wind.

The weather wasn't the best, but I guess it was an excellent week to spend time in the AS. Lots of clouds, rain, cool days, cold nights, and really anytime we weren't sightseeing or fly fishing we were in the camper. The heater and all systems worked great, I didn't notice any rain leaks, and most important, we were very comfortable with no rush to get home after a week (quite the other way... wished we could have stayed longer).

I do have a couple concerns after the trip:

1) My battery seems to run down in a matter of hours and from what I can tell, doesn't charge during the trip. After getting home, (several hours of pulling) the electrical systems didn't work at all. In fact, the red light on the "Battery Disconnect" switch was even off. BUT, the electric jack still works... which seems funny? I have noticed several mention battery problems and I plan to talk to the dealer about this as we've only had the 16 for a few weeks (staying only 7 nights thus far), certainly not a lot of use.

2) When checking under the frame before we traveled I noticed what seems like a lot of rust and material degrading for a new unit. In fact, the the rivets that hold the bottom pan cover in place in the rear of the camper (looks to be an aluminum panel) on the street-side are almost all corroded through.

Both of the above concern me, but mostly the corrosion under the camper. For something brand new (I realize it sat on the dealer's lot for some time) and the fact I want to keep it a long time makes me wonder.

What can you tell me about my observations... maybe that is typical for new units?

Thanks all,

jim
sdairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 04:05 PM   #88

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdairstream
2) When checking under the frame before we traveled I noticed what seems like a lot of rust and material degrading for a new unit. In fact, the the rivets that hold the bottom pan cover in place in the rear of the camper (looks to be an aluminum panel) on the street-side are almost all corroded through.

Both of the above concern me, but mostly the corrosion under the camper. For something brand new (I realize it sat on the dealer's lot for some time) and the fact I want to keep it a long time makes me wonder.

What can you tell me about my observations... maybe that is typical for new units?

Thanks all,

jim
Jim,

My gut feeling is that your unit was towed from the factory to your dealership over salty roads. When was the unit built? From that you can figure out within 3 weeks or so when the unit arrived at the dealership. Salt is a nasty thing and you might get under the unit and give it a good spray with the hose.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 08:15 PM   #89
3 Rivet Member

Hi Linda; a friend recently bought a 16 and brought it up to Alaska. Guess what? They had the back cabinet come completely off and the front come down onto the curtain railing above the window. They said (how many times have we heard this?) it was held on with a single screw, and that it had not been a matter of a screw working loose; there were no screw holes in the skin. They are now having some talks with AS on solutions, but it reinforces the need for me to check my cabinets. So if you can post the pictures or otherwise instruct on how to check these screws.....It looks like the screws must be under the bottom shelf of the cabinets?

I am more suprised AS has not released an advisory to 16 owners and dealers, as well as how to check for this flaw. OK, maybe not that suprised.
Old 10-31-2004, 01:05 AM   #90
4 Rivet Member

Angry

Hi Brad: It took me a while to cool down after hearing that the cabinet fix AS assured me was going to be looked into... was NOT!
Here's my photo of the fix for the rear cabinet done under warranty. Along with I think 18 other items when we took her in for the first rounds.
The long strip is just behind the shade. It doesn't show unless you take the shade off.
The small brackets are still not secured. I don't know if when the screws came out again. I just noticed it when I went out to get the pictures.
Please let me know how this works out?
Thanks, Linda
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cabrearFIX2.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	9302  
Old 10-31-2004, 01:28 PM   #91
3 Rivet Member

Thanks Linda; now, are these angle irons the fix done by your dealer or the way it should look out of the factory? I pried up the orange bottom panel on the rear overhead cabinet and saw there were 4 screws which go horizontally through the wood latticework on the bottom of the shelf unit, then into the skin of the trailer. Are these the support which is supposed to be there, or are the angle irons what is meant to support these shelves?
Old 10-31-2004, 03:55 PM   #92
4 Rivet Member

Arcata , California
Brad, I too saw what you saw when I pried up the orange panel on the back overhead. Hanging by one screw a thousand miles from home (see earlier post). I can't believe the factory doesn't use angle iron to begin with. I put that on my things to do list before the next trip. Makes one think of a class action suit if one were the type for such things.
Jamie
Old 10-31-2004, 05:31 PM   #93
3 Rivet Member

I'm still confused; where are the tiny screws you mentioned? The 4 horizontal screws I saw were probably3-4 inches long, not tiny, travelling through the latticework then into the aluminum. I could not get my big head far enough in the cabinet to see if there were some other attaching screws somewere.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:27 PM   #94
4 Rivet Member

Arcata , California
Brad, You saw right. I say "tiny" because I was surprised to see that the 4 long screws were all there was to hold the back of the cabinet on. I replaced them with thicker screws. There are several brackets just inside of the sliders attached to the top of the trailer that seem "OK". Like I said before, I'm doing the angle bracket next time I bring the Pod home.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:55 PM   #95
4 Rivet Member

Hi Brad: There were no brackets on the back at all, but two on the front. I found these pics taken before ours was fixed and will post. Hope they help? I think we only had a couple of screws holding the back side. I found no screws longer than 3/4".
Jaime's trailer is one month older than ours, doesn't make sense. Sounds like all three trailers had the cabinets attached differently.
C&G asked "permission" from AS to put the reinforcment bar on the back. (I think).
BTW, watch out for leaks! We found our first ones during the heavy rain storm a week ago! Bob thinks he found them and they are sealed up. C&G gave him a few tips, one was to check around the lights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ASrearcabbrk.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	9309  
Old 11-07-2004, 12:40 PM   #96
1 Rivet Member

Question 16CCD Newbie Questions

Hi folks. I've posted a few times before with some 'exploratory' questions. Thanks for your indulgence. My wife and I have our eyes on a new 16CCD so over time we accumulate some questions for all you bambi pros out there, to help us understand what we may be getting ourselves into. I read this area of the forum regularly so here's our latest curiosities:

1] From reading this forum, I get the feeling that modern day airstreams from the Jackson Center manufacturing plant are basically solidly engineered vehicles with some pretty fair to poor quality control issues. Some of the fixes and adaptations you guys go through after spending real $$ on these trailers, simply amazes and surprises me. Does it make sense, or is it possible to order your Airstream directly from Ohio? In this way you could assure that you get it outfitted exactly the way you want and also inspect it for completeness before hauling it away. I've contacted the closest dealer to me in Fredericksburg, VA (100 miles away) and their attitude on the phone doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that they would stand behind an airstream purchase with top notch sales and service....something I require when spending roughly $30K.

2]This, you'll really get a giggle out of, but we really don't know and can't find the answer: Is it legal/safe to ride in the trailer while it is being pulled down the road? I can't see any reason why not.

3]What are some sedans, in your experience, that are powerful enough and reliable enough to pull a 16CCD loaded up. If passengeer sedans are out of the question, what about some (affordable) truck suggestions?

Thanks much......Michael
Sligobeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 03:08 PM   #97
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sligobeach
is it possible to order your Airstream directly from Ohio?
Nope, you have to go through a dealer. But I've noticed that many people ask that question, for the same reasons you stated. My advice is to find a dealer you feel you can trust. There are plenty of good ones out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sligobeach
Is it legal/safe to ride in the trailer while it is being pulled down the road? I can't see any reason why not.
Well, definitely not legal, anyway. As to safe, I think you should watch "The Long Long Trailer" (starring Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz) and then decide for yourself!

A 16 CCD is technically light enough for almost any minivan, small truck, and even a few passenger cars. But since there are zillion "what should I use to tow" threads on this forum, try a search on this forum. You'll find what people think you "should" use varies almost as much as the people themselves do!

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 04:12 PM   #98
1 Rivet Member

Well, definitely not legal, anyway. As to safe, I think you should watch "The Long Long Trailer" (starring Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz) and then decide for yourself!

Wow....I remember seeing that movie ages ago. I vaguely remember some harrowing comical scenes along the lines of your warning.

Anyone want to 'fess up as to whether they ride in the trailer in transit?
Old 11-09-2004, 12:08 AM   #99
4 Rivet Member

Angry Henschen Axles Safety REcall

We got a recall letter today for our 2004 16 CCD... #515810
Information about the recall is on this thread... http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=14498
Hope your trailer isn't on the list!

Take Care! Linda
Old 11-09-2004, 06:03 AM   #100
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaShep
We got a recall letter today for our 16 CCD... production number 515810

Hope your trailer isn't on the list!

Take Care! Linda
Nope, Linda....don't actually own the trailer yet! But, axle safety recall?: sounds serious. Good luck with it. I assume this is a job for your dealer. In what proximity is your dealer to your home? As I stated earlier, the closest dealer I've found (according to Airstream's website) is 100 miles away and the conversations I've had with them on the phone tell me Airstream is kind of a nuisance that they grudgingly will order for you if you really, really want one....but nothing available on the lot.