Old 09-08-2004, 05:57 PM   #71
4 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

HiYa: It's sounds like you are getting it all under control. Tho, it's good if you post pictures whenever possible? The shower issues are a bit confusing for me. I think Frozen and Xray know a lot about the wiring for the tunes and TVs at this point, they may have some tips for you.
Just wondering, how do your LP lines look under the rig curb side? It's an issue we've been told has been fixed with the 16's. Ours was too close to the stabilizer.
Check the stability of your cabinets, especially the large rear hanging cabinet. (Ours fell completely off). Also the cabinet door latches under the bed.
Be sure to check the battery regularly, and the lugs on the wheels.
What is the 'birthdate' for your trailer? Aka the day it left the mother ship. ours was July 30, 2003.
Welcome to the little guys!

Old 09-08-2004, 08:45 PM   #72
3 Rivet Member

Jim; 1 and 2 are common irritants. I'd take an hour or so with a vaccum and get into every crack and cranny to avoid long term fallout. The showere hose is something I haven't used yet, but Isee wht you are talking about. Seems the swivel fitting should be tight enough that even when poited up, most water should run don onto the shower pan; no gravity reason why it would such back into the wall. The stereo sounds like it is not the wiring (luckily) but either the speakers or more likely the stereo fader. The stereo system is one of the things we enjjoy the most, so I would get it checked out and contact AS if it needs replaced. Did you check out your TV system yet? If not, read the manual as to how it should work and test it. Also don't assume your wheels are properly packed, check that out by pulling the wheel and dust cap, then look to see if the bearings are lubricated. If the outers are, the inner bearings should be good too. A half hour here can save a lot of misery. The few aux. items we have obtained include a 10in. Sharp LCD tv that fits nicely onto the snap grommets at the foot of the bed, 2 Silenx fans to preserve our remaining sanity, a 1000W Yaamaha generator (seems plenty o power w/o an AC, and a circulating electric heater (not sure why we got this....). Unfortunately, the 16's have terminal cutes. This means your wife will become obsessed with furnishing it in a certain style which is totally non-functional. You must say nothing during this process. Preserve your masculinity by greasing fittings, cooking steaks, or hunting. If a neighbor in a 30ft 5th wheel walks by and comments "That sure is a cute little rig", immediately launch yourself at him and beat him within centimeters of his life; thus restoring harmony and balance to the world of 16 CCDdom.

Old 09-12-2004, 07:30 PM   #73
3 Rivet Member

Have any of you been disappointed with your battery output? Ours has the lifespan of a mayfly. I drove 3 hours this weekend, and found the charge down to 12.4 after only about an hour, with only the refer fans and a few lights on. I brought it back up with the charger, but when I checked the volts later in the day I read 12.1. I've always been careful with the battery, but no idea what might have happened before I bought the rig. I am planning on getting a new battery, but wondered if anyone has gone with a larger one, or hooked 2 SRM24s up together, or golf cart batts, or whatever. It looks pretty easy to weld a larger metal holder on top of the a frame part of the hitch.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:00 PM   #74
4 Rivet Member

Hi Frozen: Our battery died, we have already replaced it with the same type. OUr first trips, it was fine for several days boondocking. This spring it we found it dead. We didn't think we had left it untended for too long, but took the benefit of the doubt and just replaced it. Seems I read on this forum that many new rigs have had this problem? Considering you take really good care of your new rig, it could be it was in sad shape when you got it?
Old 09-14-2004, 05:10 PM   #75
Cloud10

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tualatin , Oregon
Send a message via Skype™ to smccollister
We've experienced similar problems with our battery on our 16 CCD. We'll probably replace it as well (need to check if there is a warranty on these??). The "fit and finish" on our trailer was generally good - but I'm also wondering if the RV dealer also plays a role with that as well - seems like they should be responsible for a final vacuum, etc.

The one problem we do have is with the Dometic fridge (besides the fan which we are "living with" for the moment). There is a small plastic part on the front face which appears to hold up the stainless-looking panel. That piece appeared to be lose when we bought the trailer and has now fallen off (along with the panel). Anyone know the best way to get a replacement part? Do I go to Dometic or a supplier?

Thanks,

Scott
Old 09-14-2004, 08:58 PM   #76
4 Rivet Member

<There is a small plastic part on the front face which appears to hold up the stainless-looking panel. That piece appeared to be lose when we bought the trailer and has now fallen off (along with the panel). Anyone know the best way to get a replacement part? Do I go to Dometic or a supplier?>

When we took our trailer in for other warranty work, we opened the door and found the fridge panel had broken and fallen off too. We had it all fixed at the same time. Since then, it's been OK.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:27 PM   #77
Cloud10

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tualatin , Oregon
Send a message via Skype™ to smccollister
Hi Linda,

Where did you take your airstream in for the warranty work? (please don't tell me I have to take it to the factory!) :-)

Scott
Old 09-14-2004, 09:36 PM   #78
4 Rivet Member

<Where did you take your airstream in for the warranty work? (please don't tell me I have to take it to the factory!) :-)>

Hi Scott: C&G Trailer, Bellflower Ca. Took good care of our warranty troubles, nice people, and they are held in high regard - especially by Airstream.
Old 09-17-2004, 09:13 PM   #79
3 Rivet Member

Here is the set up I used for the refer fan replacement; 2 Silenx fans in series. It works great, ALMOST no sound. This week its winterizing time, and I found its a tight fit trying to install a 3 way valve ahead of the pump. I had to use an auxillary loop of flexi tube, but otherwise its a simple task. The local RV supply gave me 2 hints I have not seen before; 1st that the nylon plug on the water heater is an inch or so above the bottom, so its not a bad idea to siphon the remaining gallon out. and 2; to pull the gasket from the city water inlet and depress some sort of valve which would otherwise hold a column of water going to the main water line. I wasnot able to get the wire screen out to accomplish this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	silenx.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	8773  
Old 09-22-2004, 06:55 PM   #80
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Arcata , California
I checked my rear overhead cabinet after Linda said her's fell off and thought it was ok, but this last trip we noticed it was sagging. Pried off the bottom orange panel to find all but one of the tiny screws loose or off!!! Bought the required tools to do the fix on the road...argh!!!

My battery life sucks too. I charge it up every month.

Nice fan fix Brad. Silenx fans are the only way to go. Too bad you have to put your trailer to bed so soon.

Thirteen thousand miles so far and loving it.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:10 PM   #81
4 Rivet Member

Angry

Hi Jamie:
C&G did a good job of putting it back on better than the factory. If you like I'll try and photograph - post the fix? I would like to think Airstream will pay you back for trouble.
When ours fell it took out the black wardrobe with it, wires and all. I'm glad you found it loose and it didn't fall on you while sleeping!
Everybody... please check your cabinets!
Old 09-22-2004, 09:40 PM   #82
3 Rivet Member

Everybody... please check your cabinets!

Hi Linda; I never have. Which means its even money it isn't attached right. Please describe what you need to check and the fix. I wonder what it will take for AS to ever issue something like an alert (forget recall) for persistent problems which arise in a significant percent of any model. I'd heard they had hired a QC supervisor. Suspect he's been canned, or joined the Borg with the other Thor execs (whom I suspect to be a farm team of ENRON).
Old 09-23-2004, 02:11 AM   #83
4 Rivet Member

<Everybody... please check your cabinets!>
<Which means its even money it isn't attached right.> I would't take that bet! Yes, I'll post pics ASAP.
BTW Jaime: Did Airstream fix your missing black tank flush? My bet still stands that you should have had one on your 16'er!
Old 09-23-2004, 11:20 PM   #84
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Arcata , California
Linda, I never pursued the black tank flush. I'm 300 miles from the closest AS dealer/shop and I really haven't missed what I didn't know I should have. I pour several buckets full of fresh water down the can at my last dump before home and then empty that out. A little more water for the drive home and everything seems to be fine.

Just a thought on the refrig question. Do you have both the gas/electric and the temp. dials in the off position? Maybe that is keeping juice to the refrig and activating the thermo-thingy on the fan.

Still with all the problems these little 16'ers are so darned neat!!!

Jamie