Old 02-07-2004, 06:36 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Arcata , California
Hello Pod People,

My wife and I love our 16'. We were in Death Valley with it when you posted your question. Hope I'm not too late responding. It was our third trip since we got it in July. Always learning something new. It seems from reading this forum that there will be something not quite right with what ever you get. I've found that if you are the least bit handy most problems can be solved yourself and in the process you become more familiar with your trailer.

We have never felt cramped in it. We need to be aware of where we each need to be so we don't get tangled up. Only one person up at a time usually works.

One thing to consider with the 16', it is great at a full hookup site, but you need to nurse it along when dry camping. In Death Valley the only water was at the entrance to the campground with the dump station. We needed to hook up and dump the tank and refill the water every other day after we showered (showered every other day). We also had to run our Honda 3000i generator about a hour a day to keep the battery up, usually while cooking dinner in the evening when everybody else was running theirs. We ran the heater in the morning for about an hour and in the evening for a couple more. I hear the heater is a battery drainer. We got the Honda 3000i instead of the 2000i so we can run our air conditioner. It's a bit heavy and I got tired of lifting it in and out the truck each time I left camp so I finally decided to just leave it in the back of the truck and just slide it out onto the tailgate when I need to run it.

So, did you get one?

Old 02-07-2004, 10:00 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Santa Fe , New Mexico
The 'pod' came home about a week ago. We been loading it and plan to get away for our
first trip next weekend. We have really been surprised at how much storage space there
is for such a small trailer. It also seems to have more people room than we first thought
(of course - this is my impression in the driveway - I hope I feel the same after a trip or
two!)

We have heard about quality control issues with the internationals - but really have found
very few problems so far. We have been able to solve most of them ourselves - I think
your right that if you are a little handy - you can address most issues. The only problem
that has us stumped is the hand shower leaks at the connection into the wall when
the shower faucet is on. Its a slow leak - it just drips out where the hose is screwed into the short 'L' out of the wall. We have tried everything we can think of - new washers, silicon, etc - but no luck. I
guess the dealer is going to have to address this one.

We are planning on a good bit of dry camping - we were concerned about the small
water and grey/black tank - but if you can make it 2 days - that's not too bad.

Sounds like you had a good trip - Death Valley really is a beautiful place and the weather
is great this time of year.

We're open to any hints, improvements, ideas, etc - this is our first trailer (tents before)
and advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 02-08-2004, 11:46 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Arcata , California
The shower hose has a built in draining valve at the base of the hose so water drains out after use. Is that where the leak is? If so, it sounds natural. I added a quick shut off button to the handle as a water saving device. I got the shut off at my local plumbing supply store.

I added a kill switch to the CD player. It's always on otherwise and puts out an annoying amount of light at night, not to mention a theoretical drain on the battery. Just a basic 20-amp on/off button at Radio Shack. Just hook it up to the red wire of the CD player.

We also had some foam added to the seat cushions. Click on my photos to see what I'm talking about. We added an inch but maybe more would be a little better.

We made a flat panel curtain for the door to our Pod that we attach with little Velcro tabs. Good for when too much light comes in in the morning or to eliminate that embarrassing silhouette as you get in and out of the shower at night...

We added a small shelf in the closet about half way up the front of the water heater. Good for hats, purses, slippers, or whatever.

Put a paper towel holder in the overhead above the table. We didn't get a toilet paper holder and have just been placing it on the wheel well, but now we're looking for the right one to install.

Let your fellow 16'ers know what you learn and add.

Thinking of the Southwest Desert in late March/early April. Any secrets you'd like to share?

BTW, Our's is christened the Escape Pod or the Pod for short.
Old 02-08-2004, 12:08 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Arcata , California
Oh, and another thing! The dang fan for the refrigerator on ours was annoyingly loud! Loud! Like a buzzing bug you can't get rid of. It was screwed onto the thin and cheap luan plywood under the kitchen counter (accessible from the outside) which just acted as a sound board amplifying the noise. I moved the fan to the inside of the upper outside access panel. I put disconnects on the wires to the fan, drilled holes (ouch) in the access panel and bolted it on with rubber spacers, hoping that would help on the vibration. Soooo much better but still noisy. Does anybody have any suggestion for better vibration dampeners?

Pod People. That's an excellent name. Love it.

We actually went four days dry camping at Yellowstone (they had shut off the water because of freezing and the dump station was down for repairs).

Jamie
Old 02-08-2004, 12:18 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Hey Jamie:
Ditto for the fan. We'll look at ours and see how it's attached. For a fix we just turned off the refridg. to stop the noise. It takes a few minutes to actually stop.
Another annoyance for us was the little green light on the CM detector. I taped a little piece of paper over it and the red battery indicator light near the door. When you are in a small space, little things matter.

I bet a dollar if you call Jim Parrett at Airstream, he'll send you the paper rack right away.
The Airstream customer service number is 877-596-6111.

Great to hear your trip to Death Valley was good.

Linda
Old 02-08-2004, 01:18 PM   #20
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
One of the ways to quiet down the fridge fan is to replace it with a 24 volt fan. The fan will need to be rated to move 2X the air your 12 volt fan does so that will mean it is a lager fan. Since it is a 24 volt model it will run at half speed without mods. Or get 2 24 volt fans, but then the amperage draw may be a bit much.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 10:45 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Santa Fe , New Mexico
Hey Jamie and other '16 folks'

Thanks for the info on the shower "leak" - I'm glad to know that its supposed to drain that
way - it was driving me nuts.

We went out last weekend for a 4 day test drive - and survived. It turned into winter
camping - just our luck that Carlsbad New Mexico had snow for the first time in 2 years
and we got to be there for it. We were pretty surprised at how well the pod is
insulated. We only hooked up to water to fill the tank - as it was getting down to the low
20's at night. But everything worked great.

We have put some short wire shelves in one of the overheads and it has added to the
useful space. (the shelves are the kind with wire legs - they are sold at Target,
Wal-mart, K-mart, etc - and we screwed the legs down inside the overhead). Also -
we found some plastic drawers at Target and put them in the lower part of the closet
in front of the hot water heater. The drawers came in sets of 3, and we stacked 3
sets - so a net of 9 small drawers. They are just about as wide as the closet door
and almost as deep as the available space. They seem to be working well for all those
small things we had no idea where to store (hair dryer, etc). This leaves some space for
long narrow things along the far left side of the bottom half of the closet - so far we
have an umbrella there (very useful in the desert) - but I'm sure something will fit there
eventually.

We are about to undertake refrig fan surgery - I have to agree that it really incredibly
loud.

As for traveling in the southwest - I have to put in a plug for Santa Fe - if you've never
been here - you should plan a couple of days here for looking at art and eating (the
two main activities in town). Also - one of my favorite places anywhere is Chaco
Canyon. The Anasazi ruins there are amazing - also there shouldn't be too many people
there that time of year (its rarely crowded anytime really). Also, if you time it right,
you can make the Navajo rug auction in Crownpoint, New Mexico (its near Chaco). I
have never been there for it - but I have many friends who go periodically - its a once
a month event and you are buying directly from the folks who made the rugs (I think its
held in the high school gym). Its supposed to be a great time - if you want buy a rug or
just want to meet folks.

well enough babbling for now
Old 02-28-2004, 05:42 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Arcata , California
Pod People,

Let us know how you quiet your fan. My father in law suggested a 1/2" thick brass plate between the underside of the counter and the fan...

Your invitation to come see Santa Fe sounds like a plan. My wife and I just got back from several days learning to snow ski (her) and snowboard (me). We're in our mid and late 40's. Lived to tell and it was a gas! But now it's time to take the trailer out, warm up and see what other mods we can do to our Escape Pod.

I liked your wire rack and closet drawer ideas. How much stuff can we pack into these little things?

Jamie
Old 02-28-2004, 09:50 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I feel so guilty, reading how satisfied you all are with your 16' Bambi's, while I type this from my 31 footer, I dream of a 34' tri-axle model. I looked at a 16, a 19 and a 22 footer and crawled around the inside at the local dealer today.

I'd like to have a 16' for 1-2 day trips, a 22' for 3-4 day trips and a 34 for stays longer than 5 days. Is owning 3 Airstreams that much to ask for?
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 03:13 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Santa Fe , New Mexico
Folks

Has anyone found a satisfactory solution to the noisy fan?

I keep looking at it (and listening to it). I said I was going to do surgery about 2 months ago - but I just haven't quite figured out what to do. We've gone on 5 weekend trips so far - and the only complaint is that !#!# refridg fan.

Jamie - did you try the 1/2 inch brass plate?

thanks -
Old 04-09-2004, 03:15 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Santa Fe , New Mexico
One other quick question

does anyone know about how many 16CCDs AS has made? Or how many they are planning to make in 04?

thanks again
Old 04-09-2004, 03:33 PM   #26

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaShep
Jamie:
Our thermostat is as you described. There's a thread somewhere on the forum that discusses poor quality of the Atwood thermostats.
Yes one thread I started in that vein is in the 2001 Safari forum. I took my Atwood off and replaced it with a $20 Hunter digital thermostat that I bought at Walmart. Heads and tails better than the Atwood. Easy 2 wire replacement.

That forum also contains a few other hints that may apply to you all.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...play.php?f=197

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 09:21 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Re: Podpeople's Q: I don't know either, but would be interested in the no. of 16's coming out. I am currently working on installing an LCD tv at the foot of the bed. I'll post some pictures once I figure a few things out. Have any of u 16'ers tried the cable connection in the rear? I assume its a split feed of some kind. It seems, though, that w/o a switch to go between the outside cable connection and the roof antennae, you are likely to be getting 2 signals, albeit a weaker one, which could produce ghosting. Naturally, the manual is vague at best, something about a jumper...
If all this works, I wont need the fold-down tv shelf and might replace it with clothing hooks or a set of shelves or ?
I would consider the fan fix, put the TT's still sitting in about 5 feet of the white stuff.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:02 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Arcata , California
I haven't had the Escape Pod out since I moved the fan from under the counter. Next trip is May 11. But it seemed much quieter just moving the fan. Didn't do the half inch plate. I'm bringing the trailer home soon to Walbernize it. I'll re-listen to the fan and report back. I'm thinking shut-off switch for bed time if I don't like what I hear... I'll take photos of what I've done.