Old 08-18-2003, 01:23 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
Safari/ Bambi

I was told the same story by our dealer that the early production 2002 19' were labeled Safari (they received a couple) as a result of the 16' being labeled Bambi historically (and its abbreviated '02 re-introduction). Then A/S changed their minds and decided to pull the 16' back which left the 19' alone again, so the name change back to Bambi. They were sent new labeling to change the 19' Safari to a Bambi badging. Now we have the 16CCD Bambi, the 19'Safari Bambi and the 19' CCD. Wish they would just go back to calling the 19' a Globe Trotter which was the historic name for the 19 footer.

On the pics for the '02 19' still with the Safari badging, I noticed that they also had the rear and FULL sized roadside Zip Dee awnings (in addition to the curbside one). This is only the second such unit we have seen (ours being the other. Looked up their WBCCI # and they out of Amesbury MA. We REALLY like having 2 full sized awnings as it gives us a choice of which side to make into the patio (depending on sun and views).

Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 04:04 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
I am the owner of the "Safari" Bambi!

I am the owner of the "Safari" Bambi in the photo from the Region One Rally in Cape Cod this year and I have some answers to a couple of the questions raised in this thread:

1) What is the story behind the 19' Bambi with the "Safari" name tag?
2) Why is my 2002 unit parked in the vintage section at the 2003 Region One Rally?

Answer to Q1: What is the story behind the 19' Bambi with the "Safari" name tag?
My Airstream came off the production line in the summer of 2001 with the "Safari LS" name plates instead of the standard "Bambi" name plates. The reason for this is because during the summer of 2001, Airstream planned on manufacturing 19' Bambi's standard with the Safari upgrade option which included renaming the unit "Safari LS." The Airstream dealers protested because making the Safari upgrade package standard in this model would price the unit outside the reach of their lucrative entry level buyer market. Our Airstream was built during the two-month period when the Airstream Bambi production line was set up with the "Safari LS" name plates.

I later found out from Airstream that they made one other 2002 19' Bambi with the same specifications as mine (i.e., full awnings on both sides and a sleep sofa in the front instead of the standard dinette). Coincidentally, this person found me somehow and sent me an email with photos of his unit and he told me about this thread which is why I am here now telling my version of the story. For anyone who is interested in more information about the story behind my acquisition of my trailer (I purchased it pre-owned), I wrote a story called "Our First Airstream Adventure" and posted it on the New England unit website: http://www.wbcci1.org/ne/gallery.htm I am also the webmaster of the New England Unit so feel free to email me through the website.

Answer to Q2: Why is my 2002 unit parked in the vintage section at the 2003 Region One Rally?
We arrived late, after the parkers were gone, so grabbed the first empty sites we came across which happened to be in vintage.

On a related note, we also crashed the vintage section of the Vermont International rally this year. We were originally parked in a section of the International Rally that was opened up at the last minute after the overflow parking filled up. This new section was private property (located near the red barn and silo) and the deal the owners struck with WBCCI was that we could park there but we had to leave by July 3 as the owners had a family party planned for July 4. So, myself and two other units, had to move our units. To make a long story short, my unit only has an eight gallon black tank, and, we wanted to stay for a few more days but had no way to empty the black tank (it was a looooong hike to the rest rooms). We found out that the vintage section of the rally was located in an actual "campground" section of the fairgrounds so there was a dump station hidden there along with full hook-ups! More than half of the vintage group had left the rally by July 3 so we moved our units over there and had a grand ole time!

More information about the 8-gallon black tank:
I found out from Airstream that they made a production-line change during the manufacturing of the 2002 19' Bambi's where they started building them with 18-gallon black tanks instead of the 8-gallon tank. Unfortunately for me, the production-line change didn't occur until 100 serial numbers AFTER my Airstream was built. Needless to say, it then occurred to me that it meant my unit could be retro-fitted with the 18-gallon tank (for a price, of course). We made a decision to keep this unit for a long time so decided to move forward on the upgrade. As we speak right now, Airstream is in the process of doing the upgrade! We just returned home last weekend from a whirlwind 2-day trip to drop the unit off in Jackson Center to have the work done along with some warranty work. I look forward to many more years with this special unit.

Old 08-19-2003, 08:39 AM   #17
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Come on, Nancy. Give it up, and sell that thing. You *know* you really want to go vintage.

PS: hope you don't mind me plastering pics of your trailer all over the internet.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:15 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Chuck, you are too funny! I think I will become, what I heard many vintage folks have become -- the owner of more than one Airstream! My dream is to find a 50's or 60's 25' Airstream to restore. On the otherhand, I really do want to go camping in the meantime (i.e., during the restoration process) therefore, I need to have a workable Airstream to use!

P.S.
No, I don't mind you sharing the pictures nor does Pam mind you calling her motorhome "a big mutha motorhome!"
Old 08-19-2003, 11:03 AM   #19
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Hey, I calls 'em like I sees 'em. That thing IS big. I think its bigger than my house!

Say, I like that idea of owning 2 trailers. I just happened to notice a couple for sale in our area, listed in the "want-ads". they were 70's, though....I think a 77 31 footer in Gloucester, and a 28 foot 73 Argosy in Tyngsboro, cheap cheap. must be a basket case...they're only asking $1000 for it.
Old 08-19-2003, 09:46 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
1980 28' International
Avon , Colorado
Send a message via AIM to rfield54
Thumbs up

The only thing better than owning an Airstream is owning two (or more). If you buy right you can't lose, assuming storage is not a problem. The longer trailers (over 25') tend to be more common in the adds right now and henceforth appear to be under-valued.