Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2002, 10:38 AM   #1

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Thermostat replacement

For you Safari owners who are unhappy with your furnace temperature control, replace your Atwood thermostat with a Hunter. See details in the following thread.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...=&threadid=246

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 06:25 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2001 27' Safari
Springfield , Virginia
Hunter Installed

Jack:

I installed the Hunter last weekend. Seems to work great though I am winterized and not really using the trailer until the spring. I plugged the hole behind the thermostat with sealing putty and then glued aluminum foil to a piece of cardboard cut the same size as the Hunter. This cardboard was then mounted between the wall and the Hunter with foil side facing the wall and the refrigerator. Hopefully, this will serve to reflect refrigerator wall heat away from the thermostat. I mounted the foil on cardboard to preclude shorting out the metal terminals on the back side of the Hunter thermostat.

Lew Brodsky
WBCCI 2585
Springfield, VA
lbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 09:06 AM   #3

Fenton , Missouri
Re: Hunter Installed

Quote:
Originally posted by lbrodsky
Jack:

I mounted the foil on cardboard to preclude shorting out the metal terminals on the back side of the Hunter thermostat.

Let me know how this works for you. Quite honestly the heat gain to the thermostat from the refrigerator doesn't affect proper operations when the weather gets cold. The digital display shows accurate inside temperatures during this period.

It really is more of a cosmetic issue when the weather gets warm and the thermostat is showing a temperature about 2 degrees higher than actual. Since heat isn't needed during these times and the thermostat isn't controlling the A/C its really not a big to do.

Bottom line it was a big improvement over the A/S supplied Atwood thermostat.

Thanks for the update Lew.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 07-24-2017, 11:38 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Pachuta , Mississippi
I have a 23 ft Land Yacht. Does anyone know what make of Airconditoner is on my Airstream? Trying to replace the Airconditioner thermostat.
Isabella2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:45 AM   #5

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella2014 View Post
I have a 23 ft Land Yacht. Does anyone know what make of Airconditoner is on my Airstream? Trying to replace the Airconditioner thermostat.
I'm not sure but on some air conditioners the thermostat is part of the air conditioner unit itself and the wall thermostat only controls the furnace. One way to tell is to go inside your trailer and look up at the air conditioner discharge and intake. If you see two knobs on the air conditioner panel itself, one for off/on/fan speed, and another for temperature (usually showing an arrow for cooling), you are using a standard thermostat and the one I described in this thread would be a good replacement. Keep in mind I wrote this post years ago so the model of thermostat may have changed, but are still very low cost.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 07-25-2017, 04:21 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Pachuta , Mississippi
Jack...Thanks for the reply. I only have one control on the unit inside and it controls the fan (three speeds). There are three wires that went to the old thermostat. One red one, one green, and one brown. As I understand, the brown one comes from the battery, and the others connect to their respective colors. I am looking for the thermostat that will work with those connections. TG
Old 07-25-2017, 09:08 PM   #7

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella2014 View Post
Jack...Thanks for the reply. I only have one control on the unit inside and it controls the fan (three speeds). There are three wires that went to the old thermostat. One red one, one green, and one brown. As I understand, the brown one comes from the battery, and the others connect to their respective colors. I am looking for the thermostat that will work with those connections. TG
Okay it very much looks like the thermostat on the wall only controls your furnace. Your air conditioner is controlled by that fan switch. It is much like my 2001 Safari. I bought the lowest cost digital thermostat which I found at Walmart. It controls heating and cooling but in this case like yours the only wire present was for the furnace so my digital replacement thermostat was either set to off or for heating. It really becomes an issue of noticing the terminals that are on the old thermostat (the wires are connected to terminals that have a letter or letters on them). For example the wire connected to the R terminal on the old thermostat should be connected to the R terminal on the new thermostat. Do the same for each wire. Do not use the wire color as the guide. You may find one of the wires that is a certain color may not be connected to the terminal that corresponds to the wire color. For example you may find that the White wire is not connected to the W terminal. So what is important is to connect by the letter on the terminal of the old thermostat to the same letter on the new one. Go back to the first post of this thread and you will get to the link of my original post that goes through the process of upgrading the thermostat of my Safari.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 07-26-2017, 08:58 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Pachuta , Mississippi
Thermostat Hunt.

Thanks for all the info...will let you know how this turns out. TG