Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2000 - 2004 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2003, 01:43 PM   #1
BAUXITE

2004 25' Classic
homosassa , Florida
Prevent rodents, ants in trailer.

Recently, I had the occasion to remove the plywood behing the lounge/sofa in front of my 2002 Safari. Noticed a hole in the floor of trailer to accommodate the wires coming from the front. The hole was large enough that a rodent could easily get in. No cover or flap was evident. Suggest you look at the underside in front of your trailer and fill with foam is you have this problem.
Ed Keyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 02:33 PM   #2
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Hi Ed - Thought you might be interested in this thread that I posted a while back. We had a mouse visit and are now trying this bounce plan to see if it works. Suggested to others to see if we get a grand total of how many and who it worked for. Try it you might like it. Leigh

bounce[/URL]
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 12:18 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via ICQ to overlander76 Send a message via AIM to overlander76 Send a message via Yahoo to overlander76
Ants and mice? This just happened to me.

First the ants came. I noticed what looked to be the Ho Chi Min trail going up my dirt driveway. They were very small ants, "ass to antennae", single file. Later that evening I went to use the bathroom and discovered where they were going. There were a hundred ants at least, all over the place. They were on the walls, shower, ceiling. It was like a movie! They were limited to the rear bath at first. That night one woke me up as I slept on the front lounge by exploring my face. I got up and turned on the light. Ants were on the wall by my head and crawling around the ceiling also. I spent the rest of that night elsewhere. The ants were walking up the power cord and up onto the bumper, and going into a crack between the bumper and the skin. I purchased Ortho Ant B Gone. I sprinkled some around outside and it killed them dead. The stuff was amazing. I never did figure out what they came for. I had zero food or trash around and never did figure out what they were after.

Last week it was mice. The first sign of them was shredded toilet paper in the bathroom cabinet. The weather here in Colorado has recently started cooling down. I left the fresh water drain cover off on the bottom of the coach and I think they entered into the bottom of the trailer here. Sounded like they were playing football in the belly, under the front lounge were I was trying to sleep. It was 2AM and it sounded like they were trying to get up the walls or something. I could picture them chewing on everything in sight. I couldn't sleep. They met their death with de-con and traps. I plan on keeping a couple traps baited at all times just so I can tell if they are back. My experience with mice leads me to believe that most of us probably have mice in our Airstreams and don’t know it.

Brian
overlander76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 12:38 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

front wire hole

My front hole for the wires was caulked by the factory but not very well. I smeared a big glob of caulk over the hole. I found it when I was pushing a CB wire through the hole. I mounted a CB in the arm rest and ran the wire out the wire hole and use a magnetic CB that sits next to the battery while traveling and at WBCCI rallies I put it up on the propane cabinent and it works fine.

2001 Safari 27 rear queen
awnings all around & 150w solar
Web Page: https://w9det.bizland.com
w9det is offline   Reply With Quote