Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2002, 10:32 AM   #1

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Need a step?

Those of you who have the newer Safari's know that Airstream only built a single step into the retractable step unit. Unfortunately there is no retrofit of the Classic line double step units into the Safari's.

To make due I decided to purchase a folding step from Camping World. It will run about $70 but its wide, quite stable and fits easily into your rear storage compartment. My wife has a bad knee and this step makes the difference in her being able to enter and exit the trailer safely.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...3&skunum=13291

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 05:28 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Jack, this is what I was planning to buy for my Safari. Do you know of any reason why it shouldn't work??

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...=SRCH&tcode=37
On The Road, USA
gwsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 06:59 AM   #3

Fenton , Missouri
Jerry,
As long as you have clearance and the ability to mount it....go for it. I've explored the double step issue with the Airstream factory and they tell me that the existing double steps used on the Classic line will not fit the Safari's due to ground clearance issues.

I would think if a double step was available from another manufacturer, they would put one in. They surely should have received customer feedback on this issue. They have been building this line of Safari's long enough that this issue could have been addressed by now.

Just curious did you get a customer feedback card from Airstream when you purchased your Safari? I know they do listen, since in 2002 they changed the stabilizers to the same models used by the Classic line. Lots of customers, including me, hated those old pop up stabilizers that they used. I know one of the issues I raised was the steps.

Let me know if the steps work.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 01-20-2003, 09:34 PM   #4

Lightbulb Aluminum two step can be mounted.

The two step Classic fold out step can be installed on a Safari, I had one put on mine. It operates perfectly with none of the clearance issues noted here. It requires the cutting of the skirt below the door and the welding of a mounting frame....but it can be done and it makes going in and out of the trailer a simple matter.
smudge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 03:07 PM   #5

Fenton , Missouri
Re: Aluminum two step can be mounted.

Quote:
Originally posted by smudge1
The two step Classic fold out step can be installed on a Safari, I had one put on mine.

I'm assuming you had your dealer do this for you. I know the guys at the factory service center said no when I was there. My gut feeling is that unless it was a bolt on solution, they weren't going to get into modifications and welding. Obviously nothing is impossible. It's just a matter of how many $$ you want to spend to accomplish your goal. Thanks for the update.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 01-25-2003, 09:28 PM   #6

Step on Safari

Yes, my dealer installed the unit for me, we had it done prior to delivery. It isn't cheap but we find it very, very worthwhile.
smudge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 10:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Jack,
I've been leary of any type of folding step on a trailer since one folded inward on a friend's camper and the entranceway caught me right in the shin. I limped around while deer hunting the rest of the weekend. The step on my '77 Excella 500 was in good shape but I decided to buy an aluminum unit from CW for $49.49 member price that measures 14" D X 19" W X 8" H. I just leave it in the entranceway of the trailer when towing and then put it on the ground when I arrive at my destination. It is #13755 in the CW catalog listed as Safety Step with non-slip rubber leg tips. I think they might have changed the design where it now has fold-up legs but I know that Nashville, TN. CW has them.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 08:36 AM   #8

Fenton , Missouri
Craig,
I just checked your step out. This should be the link to take you to the Camping World page.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...&tcode=3722129

It looks nice, fairly close in price to the one I recommended in my earlier post. We chose that model based on its size. It's larger and when you are steping out that door I would rather have a margin for error than to miss the step. Sometimes the brain and feet seem to be going in diferent directions!

On the good side my step when folded and in its orginal box fits exactly in the Safari's back storage compartment above the rear bumper. I wish it was aluminum color like yours. I never thought about keeping it in the doorway when traveling. I might consider that since Patty uses the trailer for bathroom stops inroute. It sometimes is a long first step for her with her bad knee.

Thanks for your input.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 01-26-2003, 11:05 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Jack,
When my trailer is parked in the back yard and I need to get something out of it, I don't bother pulling the step out to put it on the ground. It sets next to the refrig. on the left side of the entrance and there is still room to step up onto the floor without stumbling into it. At 52 my long legs and back still allow me to do this but it is a chore for my wife who is 5'10" tall and working toward 50. When I have been out hunting all day long, there is a certain portion of my anatomy that is dragging so I really need that step if you know what I mean. The step has been convenient for me as I know yours is for you.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote