Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1997 - 1999 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-21-2010, 12:41 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1999 23' Safari
Austin , Texas
What's Behind this Fabric Wall Covering?

Has anyone removed the padded wall covering pictured? If yes what did you find behind it??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1999 Airstream 025.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	258.2 KB
ID:	94492  
Chasmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:06 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1999 23' Safari
Austin , Texas
Probed with a needle and it appears to be a solid wood surface. Just curious if anyone has removed this material and what the conditon of the surface looks like. I'm reluctant to rip it off without some clue of what I'll find. Thanks for your help!!!
Chasmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasmorgan View Post
Probed with a needle and it appears to be a solid wood surface. Just curious if anyone has removed this material and what the conditon of the surface looks like. I'm reluctant to rip it off without some clue of what I'll find. Thanks for your help!!!
You will find a thin plywood panel.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:24 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Wayne , New Jersey
Good Morning, I am new to the forum and have been searching everywhere about the "fabric wall covering". Did you change yours? Ours is the most disgusting fabric in the world, but I'm a little worried about what I will be unearthing if I try to replace it. I have been thinking about painting it with Martha Stewart fabric paints. Thanks for any info!
Cheryl
TincanRitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:37 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1999 23' Safari
Austin , Texas
I did not replace nor probe further. My wife hates the material but i'm not comfortable with the removal/replacement process. I've updated counter surfaces so maybe nows the time to tackle that wall.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Wayne , New Jersey
Thanks for the quick reply. I purchased fabric today and I'm going to attempt to staple it over the existing fabric. I'm going to outline the edges in trim work. Hopefully, that will work. Best of luck with your project.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:35 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1999 23' Safari
Austin , Texas
How did the staple job turn out?
Old 07-23-2013, 08:27 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Hi!

We reupholstered our fabric wall. We were reluctant to remove the existing fabric, so we test our new fabric for bleed through, and it didn't, so we just applied right over the existing. You need to remove the top of the TV cabinet and the corner bead. We used a thin plastic tool to push our new fabric under the white trim which follows the contour of the wall, then reinstalled the bead trim and lastly the cabinet top. Didn't take long at all.

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:44 PM   #9
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Aw come on.... Pictures?
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Sure, I'll take a pic tomorrow and post.

By leaving the original fabric in place, the white trim held the outside edges of the new fabric really well without having to staple it in place, just make certain you don't pull it overly hard, or it could pull out. We did, however, run some staples along the left edge which later would be under the corner bead trim. Also, you staple the bottom down under where the cabinet top will cover, making certain not to use staples on the short run from the edge of the cabinet top to the corner bead trim. Also, make certain you turn under the bottom edge of your fabric prior to stapling so your raw edge is behind. Reapply your corner bead trim with an air nailer if you have one (small brads).

Deb
Old 07-24-2013, 04:34 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Wayne , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasmorgan View Post
How did the staple job turn out?
We haven't done it as of yet. Lol, we went from changing a few things to actually gutting the Airstream. I'll definitely post after it's done.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:38 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Wayne , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Cruiser View Post
Sure, I'll take a pic tomorrow and post.

By leaving the original fabric in place, the white trim held the outside edges of the new fabric really well without having to staple it in place, just make certain you don't pull it overly hard, or it could pull out. We did, however, run some staples along the left edge which later would be under the corner bead trim. Also, you staple the bottom down under where the cabinet top will cover, making certain not to use staples on the short run from the edge of the cabinet top to the corner bead trim. Also, make certain you turn under the bottom edge of your fabric prior to stapling so your raw edge is behind. Reapply your corner bead trim with an air nailer if you have one (small brads).

Deb
Sounds great! I have a light colored fabric that I'm going to add interfacing to. Then a narrow grey braid trim to outline.

Looking forward to your pics.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:30 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
I'm attaching a couple of pics of the interior of our Safari. When I went out there this morning, I noticed that the wall fabric is looking a little loose in a couple of places, I imagine that's because of how damp it is here -- we had 20 straight days of rain then some breaks in that and now we're back to getting rain off and on, so lot's of moisture in the air. If you are using upholstery fabric, it will be stiffer and may not do this.

Another thing is I didn't use upholstery fabric on that wall, I used the same fabric which I used for the window treats in the bedroom, to pull that fabric from the bedroom into the living area so the rooms will "flow". In one pic, I pulled the window treatment back from the corner to show the wall trim and how it looks to be push in under that trim. You may see that some of the trim is off of the top of the cabinet, we are planning to replace the top of the cabinet and the other countertops with the same that we used for the new table at the banquette, so it won't have that wood around it any longer either.

TincanRitz, I am attaching another pic to show you a remodel we did on our Safari -- we removed the sofa and built a banquette covered in faux croc, this pic also shows the flooring we used. I see in the photo that we still have not installed the perforated aluminum covers for the converter breather "holes" under the banquette. Lots of storage under this banquette! And, if/when we do use it as a bed, it makes into an over-sized queen.

As info, in the bedroom we did a quick changeover from twins to queen -- we placed a 3/4"partial sheet of plywood between the twins and then placed a 10" memory foam mattress on top. It is not like a "walk around" to make up, but it sleeps really, really comfortably and we get to sleep together and not as twins. We also replaced the toilet with a Thetford that has a china bowl.

We are considering changing our windows out too; our current ones have issues.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you are doing/have done to yours.

Deb
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1004.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	269.9 KB
ID:	191574   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1006.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	292.7 KB
ID:	191575  

Name:	IMG_1007.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	406.4 KB
ID:	191576  
Old 07-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #14
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Nice work on upgrading the fabric on that wall.

I would suggest perhaps using fabric cement to hold the new layer firmly in place, to those who put their new fabric over the old. Easy to work with, and bonds fabric to fabric quite securely.

Personally, I'm a chicken when it comes to colours. I tend to stay with very neutral colours, especially for large areas like that. But I do like the turquoise you did with the muted symbol repeating.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:18 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Aage, thank you for that. Actually, it's teal, but it appears differently probably due to the flash. I see that print as being a little retro/contemporary, and I fell in love with it. It was discontinued, one of my suppliers located some at the mill, but I had to take what was left on the bolt, which turned out to not be too overly much.

Colors, I understand what you mean. However, I do this for a living; I have a small business and do custom interiors, so I'm used to working with colors. This may be a bit much for you, but in the bedroom of our Safari I did an animal print (leopard) quilt/shams/bedskirt (small bedskirt across the opening between the doorway). The animal print colors are ones I pulled out of the window treatment fabric (living area, the brown in it) and flooring/cabinets. We call our Safari our "condo on wheels", and decorated it for the fun of it and for comfort away from home. I used blackout lining for all of the window treats so that really helps with cooling/heating and keeping sun out so it won't fade fabrics.

I have some experience with fabric cement, and with what I've used in the past, I had some bleed through of that cement, so depending upon the fabric used, it could be a problem. I'd do a test area with scrap or in an inconspicuous area first. The fabric I used in the bedroom/upholstered wall was a faux silk -- polyester, and that fabric would not be a good candidate for the fabric cement, unless there is something new out there which I'm not familiar with.

There is a fusible too, which I might be more tempted to use, however, it would be difficult to get my industrial iron out there to use on that wall. (Must say here tho, I'd still do a test on scrap or whatever before even using the fusible.)

Deb

PS -- I hope I haven't hijacked this thread, I truly didn't mean to, I only intended to offer info on upholstering that wall, and then I guess it just "grew". So sorry. If I can be of any help on your wall upholstery, please ask away.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
More about the upholstered wall..............I'm sorry, I meant to state this earlier, but forgot. This is concerning the white trim piece on the ceiling and curved portions of this wall. Ours appeared to be applied between the wall and ceiling/wall, which to us said it went on when they were building the wall; we decided we didn't want to get into all that just to reupholster this wall.

Also, I have several staplers which I use when doing light upholstery, one being pneumatic and specifically for upholstery, and has a tapered nose. I had thought that I could perhaps lift the edge of this white trim (plastic) enough to get the nose under it to lay some staples, but it was too stiff. Ideally, as I'm certain you know this, when upholstering you need to get a smooth stretch on fabric, in all directions, without pulling too hard or you'll have indentations at the staple areas from it having been pulled too tightly. Since we didn't want to remove this trim, that's why I could only place staples on the bottom and left side where they were later covered by the corner trim.

If you are gutting the trailer, then the problem of getting under this trim is a non-problem for you, but for anyone else, it would be. Having the old fabric under the new I saw as a plus in that it helped to have the additional thickness for "holding power".

Deb
Old 07-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
We have removed the mouse fur fabric from our moho. Here's a link to our thread, complete with photos.

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:38 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Wow, that was some job and looks great! Congratulations.

When we bought our Safari, the "mouse fur" walls were dirty in places, so I had Stanley Steamer come and clean them as you would carpeting, but I was very insistant that they use only a minimal amount of water. They turned out great, but I'm just not fond of them.

We have talked about possibly putting some aluminum in at least the bathroom and kitchen backsplash on our Safari -- don't know if we'll get around to it or not. More would be nice.

Deb
Old 07-25-2013, 05:12 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Wayne , New Jersey
Wow, love, love the fabric. What a wonderful job on the wall. Did you make the curtains as well? Now there is something I'm hesitant to try. I've read quite a few posts and oh, boy I don't think I have the patience.

Fabric glue is terrific to use, Aleene's Fabric Fusion is one of my favorites. I am going to use permanent fabric spray adhesive. We have valances and I used that for adhering the fabric on the front (after padding) and then stapled the back.

The banquet looks beautiful. My husband would love to replace the sofa with reclining chairs, but our weimaraner won't permit it. Having a 60 lb dog on your lap in a chair just isn't comfortable.

I will definitively post pics as we move along. We are using grey, sea glass and green (bedroom) in the trailer. Looking forward to more pictures of your project. Thanks for posting and the advice.

LOL, just noticed the second page of posts (ok, so it's early). Love the details in your bedroom. Pictures? : )
Old 07-25-2013, 05:29 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Wayne , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Dog Nite View Post
We have removed the mouse fur fabric from our moho. Here's a link to our thread, complete with photos.

Wonderful job on the walls. I hate the mouse fur, but I adore our white vinyl ceiling. I'm worried about removing the fabric and interfering with the ceiling since some of the vinyl ribs interlocked. The ceiling is pristine and I would hate to disturb it. Maybe I'll give in one day.....