Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2010, 04:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Georgetown , Texas
Question Generator Options?

Hi there - We purchased a 25' Safari a few weeks ago. We are wondering - what are good options for a generator(s) and how can they be transported? We have a Lincoln Navigator as a tow vehicle (not a truck). We would like to be able to use the A/C in extreme weather boondocking but could perhaps just settle for something to recharge the batteries.

Thanks,
Karen.
tawakoni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Yamaha 2400

Hi, I have a Navigator and a 25" Safari; I bought a Yamaha 2400 generator for this purpose. Reasons that I picked the Yamaha 2400 are:

(1.) One generator that will run my A/C. [instead of two]

(2.) Light enough that one person can pick it up, but has two handles so two people can more easily move it.

(3.) Quiet and very dependable. Top choices are Honda & Yamaha.

I carry it in my trailer and it dosen't leak or stink.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:51 PM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Everyone likes the Honda and Yamaha inverter generators (I don't have one though).

There are propane conversions available which addresses the problems involved in dealing with fuel, since you already have a safe way to carry propane, and since the nature of the conversion is that no propane stays in the generator when it is stored.

Some people figure out a way to mount the generator on the hitch. There are a number of problems inherent in this approach, structural concerns, security while parked, safe management of engine exhaust, and road spray chief among them.

I am currently contemplating on paper a design involving a 3 HP Honda engine converted to propane, driving via a belt a Delco 12si alternator, permanently mounted on the trailer tongue replacing the toolbox. This would serve to charge batteries without the complications, cabling, and expense of even a small inverter generator.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:33 AM   #4
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I am currently contemplating on paper a design involving a 3 HP Honda engine converted to propane, driving via a belt a Delco 12si alternator, permanently mounted on the trailer tongue replacing the toolbox. This would serve to charge batteries without the complications, cabling, and expense of even a small inverter generator.
I have a car alternator on my Burning Man vehicle, which is powered by a small 6 hp engine... the problem w/ car alternators is that they optimize bringing the starting battery back to full charge as quickly as possible. As a result, if the battery is at all low, the alternator goes to absolute full power; I cannot even start the engine w/o a resistor in the line to reduce the load at startup. Now, I've got a 3:1 step up on the unit, which I wanted to make sure I could charge at less than full engine speed.

You'll also find car alternators to be inefficient, but that's not terribly important in this application.

Remember to run a separate #6 wire back to the batteries for charging, and fuse it @50A.

This unit will be quite noisy; the big selling point of the inverter units is the excellent sound control....

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:51 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
We bought a single Honda EU2000i. It will run the AC in out Base Camp (a 5000 BTU unit), but not the AC on out Argosy. Our main reason for the genset is not the AC, but rather to charge batteries and, most important, provide power for the blender!

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:08 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Gen

We use a Honda 3000 that runs our air and everything else in the trailer at the same time (we don't use a mircowave). This gen. is one of the quietest on the market. It is electric start and very fuel efficient on eco mode (lower rpms). It is a bit on the heavy side so we have it chained in the back of our truck for the entire travel season. We just fold back the bed cover and fire it up. Without a truck we would use two Honda 2000's. You only need one for charging etc. and both for air. These are very light and can be moved with ease.

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:52 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Montreal , Quebec
Send a message via Skype™ to Rawn77
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkasten View Post
We use a Honda 3000 that runs our air and everything else in the trailer at the same time (we don't use a mircowave). This gen. is one of the quietest on the market. It is electric start and very fuel efficient on eco mode (lower rpms). It is a bit on the heavy side so we have it chained in the back of our truck for the entire travel season. We just fold back the bed cover and fire it up. Without a truck we would use two Honda 2000's. You only need one for charging etc. and both for air. These are very light and can be moved with ease.
Does that mean your 3000 is short enough so that you can keep your pickup truck cover (tonneau) closed while travelling?
I would have thought the Honda would have been too tall to keep the bed closed.
Just wondering

2017 Classic
4 Flexible 100w Solar Panels
3000w Magnum Hybrid Inverter
1000 Amp Hours Lithium Battery
Honda EU3000
Drain Master Sewer Connection
2017 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax
Hensley
Rawn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:14 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
I like the Honda 1, 2 or 3 KW portables.
2 2kw Hondas can be joined to power the a/c and maybe a bit more.
Have also heard good things about the 3KW.
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:20 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
I agree with Bob, we also have a Yamaha 2400, it is super quiet, it runs everything including the A/C and we will either bungee it down inside a big plastic tub in the trailer or in the back of the Navi or Trailblazer.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:40 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Honda Gen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawn77 View Post
Does that mean your 3000 is short enough so that you can keep your pickup truck cover (tonneau) closed while travelling?
I would have thought the Honda would have been too tall to keep the bed closed.
Just wondering
Yes I keep the bed cover (tonneau) closed while traveling. The fill cap on the Honda 3000 just touches the cover. I did measure the Honda before purchasing a cover to make sure the installers new what my demands were. It's been in the back of the truck since early March....Tim

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator