Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1997 - 1999 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2002, 08:04 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Edina , Minnesota
Extra Battery Placement

I want to add a second battery to my 25C. Any creative ideas on where the second battery can go? I don't think that there is room with the original battery between the frame of the tongue without stacking them somehow. The other consideration is to not have them interfere with the WD spring bar hooks on the frame.

Has anyone with a contemporary Safari added a second battery? I'll be adding a solar panel next, so they will need to be reasonably close to one another. Any thoughts are welcome.
Jace
JaceBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 08:37 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
I thought they had the second battery, in fact I thought except for the bambi they all had the second battery. Always learning.
The only places I can think of that would be close to your current battery would be under the front couch but it would have to be sealed good to keep fumes out the living area as well as vented to the outside. Or outside between the A frame behind the gas bottles but as you say it cant interfere with anything there. Andy could give you the 'skinny' on this I'm sure.
What solar system are you looking at? just a battery charger/maintainer or panels to run things?.

John
83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 10:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Jace. You can install a second battery compartment. They are available from Airstream and look the same as the one you now have. That set up provides you with proper protection from fumes and or corrosive materials.
Most solar panels should be installed with a "regulator", so that you don't over charge the battery or batteries.
Make sure the wiring from a solar panel is of adequate size. Additionally, solar panels must be installed so that they cannot shake or vibrate when the trailer is in motion. If they do, fatigue cracks will appear, resulting in considerable expense to repair.
It is better to install 2 panels, side by side. If the trailer is parked facing north or south, then the sun will be on the panels longer than if they were installed fore and aft, which will give you much more effective charging time, as the angle of the sun has an effect on the output.
Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 03:22 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Edina , Minnesota
Andy & John,
Thanks for the note. Problem is, there is no built-in battery compartment on the new Safari's (I know, I shouldn't have gone the low cost route). The battery is presently in a plastic battery box, between the frame members, behind the LP bottles.

Something tells me that adding the battery compartment would cost more than I may want to spend. It may be more practical to just buy a Honda generator.

Thanks!!
Jace
Old 05-15-2002, 05:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Jace. Add another boat type battery box along side the present one. A rack can be made to hold them both.Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 09:46 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

I removed the existing battery box and had an angle iron frame welded to the trailer frame between the propane tanks and the front of the trailer (below the existing battery box). There is just enough room to place a Blue Sea battery box which will hold two Trojan golf cart batteries. I also installed a 120-watt solar panel with charge controller and I never run out of battery.
On The Road, USA
gwsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 04:19 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Edina , Minnesota
GW,
Just the info I needed. Where did you get the Blue Sea battery box? What are the model #'s of the Trojans? Did you use 2 6V or did the 12V, T-105s fit? What brand of solar did you choose?
Old 07-31-2002, 08:44 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

I chose the 6 volt golf cart batteries by Trojan. I believe the model number is T-105. I found the Blue Sea battery box at West Marine (www.westmarine.com). Search for Blue Sea on their web site. This box is specially made for the Trojan batteries and is designed for marine use so it weathers well on my Safari. You will need to find someone who can do custom welding and can design the rail for the box to sit in. There isn't a lot of room and the battery box will just fit. You can get the dimensions off the web site. I measured and decided the box would fit if I attached the rail to the bottom of the frame. I then purchased the box and took it, along with the trailer, to a local welder. We spent a couple of hours getting everything just right but now it looks like original equipment. I got the solar panel from Northern Arizona Wind and Sun-www.windsun.com. They will help you design a solar system to fit your needs if you call them.
Good luck,
Jerry
On The Road, USA
Old 08-01-2002, 02:43 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Edina , Minnesota
Thank you!
Old 10-01-2002, 07:50 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2001 27' Safari
Springfield , Virginia
Battery Box for 2 Trojan T-105s

Jerry:

I would love to see photos of your battery box installation on the Safari A-frame. Any chance you can post a few showing the configuration and welding details?

Lew Brodsky
2001 Safari 27-B
Springfield, VA
lbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 09:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
How are you guys getting by with one solar panel? A $500+ 120W panel with 17 volt open circuit, 7 amp short circuit rating is going to produce what? An average of 5 amps at 14-15 volts over a mostly 5 hour period on a good day? 25 AH? That won't even replace 30% discharge of ONE 85AH battery!

The two SRM-27 Interstate batteries in my rig will give me 85AH (17 hours) each at a 5A per battery discharge rate, and keeping discharge to no more than 50%, that's 8.5 hours with a 10A draw... or maybe 10 amps from 6PM-11PM (a coupla 30W lights, the radio, and a vent fan... or the water pump, bathroom light and vent and one other light when bathing... or the water pump, stove vent and a coupla lights when washing dishes... not to mention the little phantom loads) and a couple of amps the rest of the 24 hrs. The point is, we can easily use 75-85 AH, half of the two battery capacity, in one day.

Looks like we'd need at least 3 of those panels to charge the batteries, plus at least one smaller panel to run the vent fan to remove the heat in the trailer that the sun same producing power on the panels is causing. And we'd better pray for sunny skies every day if we don't want to drop below 50% discharge with the two battery setup. And I'd really be more comfortable with a pair of 100AH or larger batteries and the needed 4 panels to charge them.

OTOH, a $860 (free shipping) Honda EU2000i running from 10AM-6PM would charge both batteries at 10A+ total while also powering the vent fan and all the other little phantom loads (even on a rainy day), AND leave the evenings and nights quiet.

Plus we'd have the option of starting it in the evenings to run household appliances without worrying about an 800W inverter drawing 80 amps out of the batteries.

You must be extremely frugal to get by on two panels, much less one!
Old 10-02-2002, 05:03 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2001 27' Safari
Springfield , Virginia
More panels

Maurice:

You are right. A single panel won't produce much juice on an average day. However, with two 75-watt panels, I get up to 8 amps/hour flowing on a bright day which, combined with long days can do some replenishment. This combined with judicious use of current in the evenings can prolong battery drain to allow a week or more of boondocking. Then, charging during travel or at the next shore power campsite brings me up to full capacity. Of course, adding more panels on the roof will shorten recharge times, but one must consider return for investment...solar panels are not cheap. Those of us who prefer the clean quiet of solar vs. using a generator sometimes sit in the dark and make the sacrifice.

Lew
lbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 08:14 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Honda 2000

Maruice,

I am in the market for a Honda EU2000 generator but have been holding off because the local supplier wants $1100 for it. Where did you find it for $860? Can I order it on the internet? Thanks.
Old 10-02-2002, 08:54 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Re: Honda 2000

Quote:
Originally posted by Les Gilliam
Maruice,

I am in the market for a Honda EU2000 generator but have been holding off because the local supplier wants $1100 for it. Where did you find it for $860? Can I order it on the internet? Thanks.
Most everyone I've talked to has ordered theirs from Mayberry's at considerable savings over local prices.
Old 10-02-2002, 09:24 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Lew, I will try to borrow a digital camera and take some pics.

Maurice, I do most of my boondocking at the beach or the mountains so I get unobstructed sun most of the day and everyone knows it never rains in California. I use no more than 40AH per day so the 120Watt panel will replace that. I do have a generator but only use it when I run power tools.
On The Road, USA
Old 10-02-2002, 11:32 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Ah... California!

Saturday night here it dropped below 60 by 10PM, hit 50 by 4AM, and wasn't above 60 again until 10AM.

The 7.5A furnace was running about an average 20% duty cycle during that 12 hours (off 4 times longer than the on periods). 7.5A X .20 X 12 hours = 18 AH plus the bit it ran before 10PM (set on 70 degrees)

I guess a "real boondocker" would've grabbed a blanket and wouldn't have had the furnace on for such mild temps
Old 10-02-2002, 01:03 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Moe, we usually spend the evenings in front of the campfire. If we need heat in the trailer we use a propane catylitic heater to save the batteries.
On The Road, USA