Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1997 - 1999 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Clarksburg , California
Question '99 Rear escape window leaking

Hello all! We just bought a 1999 Safari 27'. We're the second owners, the former owner who is recently widowed claims it was only used about twelve times, it looks hardly used, we believe her.

But, we have a rear escape window leak. Looks like it could be from the upper part in the center. After reading the about other owners and their leaks, whew.... this might prove to be challenging.

Question: How might I get this fixed, doing it myself? It looks like it has been expertly chaulked around the outside seal. I suspect the inner seal is leaking, but not sure how it all goes together.

Thanks for looking, Bob
outbackbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Hi Bob,

I just dealt with a 99 Safari leaking rear window. This window was made by Creation windows and also had the flip out emergency exit that hinges at the top. It leaked in several area's. It basically is set in place with a strip of putty tape and screws in place from the inside. It was necessary for me to remove the inside trim to get to all the surrounding screws and remove the window from the airstream. The window was in pretty rough shape as the inside pane is a bit deformed from sun and age. I refit the window with a butyl sealing tape and evenly pulled the window back in place with all the screws. As the butyl would squeeze out from being pinched and the window was fully installed I took a razor knife and carefully cut off the excess so it looked nice and factory. The butyl is black just like the trim so you dont even notice it. When you flip open the glass exit and take a look to see if anyone accidently drilled holes that came through the window frame. If this is the case, the water will leak into the window frame opening and find its way through those holes and down between the wall skins. Good luck with your project. I did some research and that window company sold out a short time later. There are other windows that can be set in place with similar design.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Just curious, how is the water showing up from this leak? i.e. is the water showing in the lower window channel, running down the inside wall (you probably have "mouse fur" in a 99 Safari), on the carpet, under the carpet, etc... ?
Old 12-22-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Clarksburg , California
Thanks Bud.
Water on top of the center night stand and down the inside of the wall below the window.

Regards, Bob
Old 12-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbackbob View Post
Thanks Bud.
Water on top of the center night stand and down the inside of the wall below the window.

Regards, Bob
I have a 02 Safari 25 with a rear escape window. I am not home so I can't go out and check my rear window now. I think on my 02 the rear window was made by Hehr (there is a brand sticker on all of the windows which I think includes the rear window). I had a problem once with water running down the wall around the rear escape window. The problem was condensation collecting in the lower window channel and not draining out.

Have you checked the sealing area around the section of glass that is the actual escape area. Mine was not installed properly when I first bought my trailer. This would have resulted in a leak if I had not corrected the problem before the first rain.

I'm far from an expert, but I would think that if the window is leaking around the perimeter of exterior window frame seal, the water would be running down between the inner and outer wall and showing up under the carpet below the window. Are you able to check under the carpet below the window?
Old 12-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Clarksburg , California
Thanks! Fortunately we can park the trailer in our Barn. We just towed through a 3 hour rain storm so wettness was limited. But, this gots to be fixed!
Old 12-23-2012, 02:33 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Clarksburg , California
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airslide View Post
Hi Bob,

I just dealt with a 99 Safari leaking rear window. This window was made by Creation windows and also had the flip out emergency exit that hinges at the top. It leaked in several area's. It basically is set in place with a strip of putty tape and screws in place from the inside. It was necessary for me to remove the inside trim to get to all the surrounding screws and remove the window from the airstream. The window was in pretty rough shape as the inside pane is a bit deformed from sun and age. I refit the window with a butyl sealing tape and evenly pulled the window back in place with all the screws. As the butyl would squeeze out from being pinched and the window was fully installed I took a razor knife and carefully cut off the excess so it looked nice and factory. The butyl is black just like the trim so you dont even notice it. When you flip open the glass exit and take a look to see if anyone accidently drilled holes that came through the window frame. If this is the case, the water will leak into the window frame opening and find its way through those holes and down between the wall skins. Good luck with your project. I did some research and that window company sold out a short time later. There are other windows that can be set in place with similar design.

Vinnie
Yes there is a screw accidently screwed into the lower right window frame! A factory tech was not paying due attention. Inaddition, the inner seal is no longer adhering to the inner frame in several areas. Thanks for that tip. Now where can I find a replacement seal?

Regards, Bob
Old 12-23-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I had leaks in my 2000 Safari when I got it, at the upper corner of the Hehr escape window and also in one of the panel joints. Re-caulking took care of those two leaks, but water also came in at the bottom of the window from the weeps being blocked with trash.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Clarksburg , California
Rear Escape Window inner Seal

This seal was loose in several places and not contacting the window frame when closed. I am going to replace it. I understand this is a creative window. The pictures show the gasket that looks similar to the one shown that was removed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Window Seal 1.JPG
Views:	373
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	175183   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Window Seal 2.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	175184  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Window Seal 3.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	175185  
Old 12-24-2012, 06:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
I had some leaks around my rear window, which is just like yours. I stripped out the original surround gasket that the closed window contacts, and replaced it with the gasket that Airstream now recommends for the old Creation windows. It's a self adhesive "D" shaped gasket, about 3/8 - 1/2" wide, as I recall. The same gasket works on all of the opening Creation windows. The original gasket would harden and shrink, pulling away for the window frame in the corners. Any Airstream dealer can order it for you, sold by the foot. That took care of the corner gaps. I still had a drip from the top of the interior frame, and ran a bead of TremPro sealant across the edge of the exterior top window gasket. I also ran a bead across the top of the rear clearance lights, where the chrome meets the aluminum body. That fixed the drip problem. The only time i get water inside that window now is if I spray it when washing the trailer, because there are weep openings at the bottom, with little deflectors, to let out any moisture. Spray them with a hose, and they let water spray in!
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:40 PM   #11
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Glad to hear you got a handle on this leaking window. Sometimes you just have to get in there and explore and you find all kinds of things that dont look right. I too like the D style gasket for this area. Sealing up the holes in the lower edge of the window frame makes sense too huh.

Here is a link for parts.. http://creationwindows.net/page2.html

Cheers.. Vinnie

Old 12-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Actually, you do not want to seal the weep holes that drain to the outside. The D gaskets will seal the closed glass, but do not seal the channel against water from the outside. For example, water running down the outside of the window will run down the glass and over the sealed gasket, but will still run into the channel wherever there are gaps created by the glass pressing against the gasket. If you seal the weepers, the water can build up in the channel and run inside and down the wall. You just don't want to spray the weep holes when washing the outside of the trailer.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:39 PM   #13
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert claus View Post
Actually, you do not want to seal the weep holes that drain to the outside. The D gaskets will seal the closed glass, but do not seal the channel against water from the outside. For example, water running down the outside of the window will run down the glass and over the sealed gasket, but will still run into the channel wherever there are gaps created by the glass pressing against the gasket. If you seal the weepers, the water can build up in the channel and run inside and down the wall. You just don't want to spray the weep holes when washing the outside of the trailer.

I agree.... The holes Bob is referring to is the same experience I had where the installation tech accidently drilled into the frame from the inside of the airstream when installing the window. He allowed the drill bit to aim into the frame where the window seals. Now when water flows into the frame opening the water leaks through those holes and down between the walls.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Clarksburg , California
Rear Egress Window replacement

All:

Thank you for the fine information offered in this thread! Having looked into seals & gaskets & after-market RV window suppliers & considering all the great advice, I believe the Airstream manufacturer has the best solution.

http://www.airstream.com/files/libra...e002e13776.pdf page 41

They have a window PN: 371362-12 which replaces the Creation window PN: 371362-06 for $328.86.

Why stress.....
Old 12-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #15
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
That makes sense.. the price is reasonable too.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Hi Outbackbob.

I just came across your thread on the rear window. We have a '99 Safari, and have the same type of leak which you mentioned.

I am wondering how your replacement window is doing and if it was tricky to install? As a matter of fact, we have another window (by the door) which we can't open because the glass is loose. How did you find the information regarding replacement windows? Actually, all of our windows could probably stand to be gone over and repainted and I imagine new seals would be great.

Thanks for any information you care to share.

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:29 PM   #17
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Hello Deb,

Check this out from airstream.

http://www.airstream.com/files/libra...e002e13776.pdf

Page 41 will get you started.

Vinnie

Old 06-08-2013, 04:47 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
In post #8 above, I said I had all of my leaks fixed. That was Dec 2012. I must have jinxed something by commenting. I learned had more than one issue to resolve.

Later in January I woke up one night with several drips splashing onto my head. When I got up and looked outside expecting rain, the moon and stars were shining. The outside temperature had dropped into the low 40's and condensation was forming somewhere within the wall above the rear window. It was dripping where the interior skin meets the window trim. It would build up and drip several times really fast for a few seconds, then stop. Several minutes later it would do it again. It kept doing it till the sun got on the trailer next morning.

I have checked for leaks several times since last winter and found no wet inside. It has been raining pretty steady for the last two days from the tropical storm passing nearby. It's all dry inside.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:04 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Clarksburg , California
Thanks for asking. After I caulked the screw hole the was drilled into the lower right frame and removed/reinstalled the inner rubber seal all is good. I bought a replacement window and haven't been motivated to install it since the leak has gone away. The replacement window is much better. I will be installing it in the near future.