Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
'99 25' Safari Interior

Hi TincanRitz!

Thank you. I really love that bedroom fabric too, I think that's the one you said you liked. The fabric in the living area is like a vertical wave, and is a great contrast to the other in that they both have the teal in them. Also, the "wave" reminds me of being at the beach, and we love to take Lola (our 25'er) and go to Top Sail in Florida.

Yes, I did fabricate the window treatments in our AS, but as I mentioned, I do that for a living, so it was an automatic thing to do. Actually, the treatments in the AS are easier to do than doing them for a home (I go into quite a few million dollar plus homes and those windows are normally extremely tall and oddly shaped), as the AS windows are easy to reach and you can tear apart the existing AS curtains to see how they are constructed. I didn't do our new ones just as the previous ones were tho, I made them more like treatments for a home. I did use the plastic pins which slide into the tracking at the top, but not at the bottom -- I wanted it to hang freely and a little longer. I also did not do the same pleating at the top but rather more like the construction of a flat panel in a home and they have the appearance of flowing in and out (I used a stiffener in the heading to train them to "flow").

I do like the idea of having recliners instead of a sofa, dinette, or banquette, but we needed the space for when our son, daughter/son-in-law camp with us in case of rain to play cards or whatever. Also, our son has disabilities, so when he goes camping, he travels with us and sleeps in our AS.

I know just what you mean about having a large dog who likes to be right next to you (or thinking he is a small lap dog), we have a 73 lb. Goldendoodle. Luckily, he hasn't tried to jump up onto the banquette seating. But, one good thing about having the faux croc (vinyl), if he would and had anything on his feet, it would wipe right off.

I think you said you had gutted your AS, is that right? Just in the sofa area or more? I'd love to hear and see what you've done and are thinking of doing.

As I said, I'll go out and take a picture of our bedroom area later today.

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Denver , Colorado
We have the same unit ... it would be interesting to see what others have done with that fabric panel - I have left it alone, because it matches the 'valance' - but I may be in the mood this winter to refurb that décor. We've kept ours in a blue theme, but liking some splashes of red here and there ... Wendy
Old 07-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Hi StreamRollin!

In case you missed it, there is a thread on "What's Behind This Upholstered Wall", or something like that which you might like to read in case you haven't. I moved over to this thread as I didn't want to hijack ChasMorgan's other thread.

I agree, I'm really curious to see what others have done/are doing to their 25'ers as well.

We removed our cornices (some call them valances) when we redid our window treatments. I think changes are good, whatever makes the individual(s) comfortable.

Deb
Old 07-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Durango , Colorado
Okey-dokey, you 1999 25 footers -- not to c.t.s., but are your twenty-fives 25', or are they 27'? My '99 Safari is 27' -- closer to 28' o.a., and the VIN verifies ... so I'm still a bit bewildered. I'll confess that this is not an unusual mental state for me to find myself in ....

Thanks for clarifying,

wryawry
awryawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Hmmmm, I just assumed ours is 25', but you pose a good question. When DH gets home, I'll see if he'll go out and help me measure.

Just so we'll know, are you measuring bumper to end of tongue? Or just the shell itself?

Deb
Old 07-25-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Durango , Colorado
This forum has stressed that measurements are taken over-all (o.a.) My VIN length code is "L": 27' to <28'.

http://www.airstream.com/files/libra...d86d618144.pdf
Old 07-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
You're right, the correct way to measure is from the tongue to the bumper, but sometimes people do their own thing, so I was just checking to make certain we would be comparing apples to apples.

Our 25' Safari measures 26'8", we just went out to measure.

Deb
Old 07-26-2013, 08:26 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Denver , Colorado
Air Cruiser, I followed you over here. Glad there's finally some discussion on the '99 25' (er 27 foot) Safari's. What we have done so far is in our gallery.

I agree each Airstream, after the newness wears off, takes on the style and design of the new owners ... that's why upgrade/refurbish threads are so fun to watch and I like to tap into other people's creativity.

Wendy
Old 07-27-2013, 06:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Hi Wendy!

Thanks for following us over here, since "ChasMorgan" (I think that's right) invited us to continue on in the other thread, I was thinking that perhaps we should do that so it will all be contained in one thread. I am so anxious to see what others have done and/or will do to their '99's. So, if it's not too much to ask, would you mind following us back to the other thread? (Not trying to give you the run around, just didn't want to take over their thread............now I'm thinking it's a thread for all of the '99'ers. Actually, I think that for several years around '99 the Safaris were similar in design, can't remember exactly what years tho.)

I know I promised a pic or two of our bedroom, but I have been tied up with business and then this weekend our son came to visit with us, so I'll try to get those posted tomorrow or Monday at the latest.

Deb
Old 07-27-2013, 09:21 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Durango , Colorado
'99 an' feelin' fine ....
Old 07-27-2013, 11:10 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
I removed the hideous fabric wall and cut a piece of Aluminum to fit.

You can kind of see it in this pic

These two links document all our changes.

Airstream interior tour | WatsonsWander - Exploring and working fulltime from our Airstream
What - 1999 Airstream Safari | WatsonsWander - Exploring and working fulltime from our Airstream
Old 07-29-2013, 09:12 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Timmaah, wow, fantastic job! I really like what you have done, the interior looks great. I see you have replaced the countertops and placed new aluminum skins in places. About the skins, did you remove the existing wall treatment, or just mount the new skin over top of the existing? If you went over the top, I imagine you used Olympic rivets?

I am also wondering about your exterior (which, by the way is great too!), what did you use to strip the clear coat off? Ours is streaking too, so that will probably be in our future to do as well, but I must say I'm not looking forward to it. A PO of ours also placed the map on our side which we'll need to take off.

I think I stated before in one of these threads that some of our windows have issues, well, they do. We have never opened the rear bedroom window and only half of the front tongue window.

Deb
Old 07-29-2013, 11:11 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Cruiser View Post
Timmaah, wow, fantastic job! I really like what you have done, the interior looks great.
Thanks. Was a fun project and it has held up well in the last year.

Counter tops I went right over the top. First replaced the rounded edges with a scrap square piece.

For the aluminum I removed the wooden wall panel in the kitchen and used it as a template. Same with the padded wall. The bathroom I just cut a piece to go over the old. No riveting.. all the edges are behind a piece of trim or cabinet or counter top so that holds it in really well.

The outside we used citristrip and polished with Gords Aluminum Polish. Both were crazy messy. Especially the gords. It needs another once over with the gords, but I'm not sure I have it in me.

We must have good luck. Amazingly all our windows work fine and don't leak. I did add another seal to the emergency exit portion of the back window that helped keep dust out.

-tim
Old 07-31-2013, 08:58 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Tim, thanks for responding.

Do you recall what seal you used on the rear exit window and where you bought it? While doing that, did you look to see if you had extra holes which were drilled in at the factory? Seems to me that I read somewhere that that did happen at times and caused leakage. Maybe that seal would help us too, but we have a leak and the windows don't want to open and I'm afraid to force them, so I was thinking of replaceing the entire window.

I am amazed that the CitriStrip took off the remaining clear coat! That is so good to hear. We were given a quote of $3500 about two years ago to strip, reclear coat, and reseal all seams/windows/etc. down to the beltline (blue). I've never heard of Gord's Aluminum Polish, but we have a ton of other brands including Nuvite and rouge bars to choose from! You know the commercial where the guy tells his wife he came to the end of the internet? Well, I think we are just about there with coming to the end of new-to-us aluminum polishes to try -- it's a joke with our friends that if anyone has any metal that needs polished, just come to our house and we can take care of them.

Our carpenter who did quite a bit of our home said it is possible to go over the top of the existing countertops, but we didn't know if it would hold up well (thinking of the heat that builds up inside when closed up).

Also, I guess I wasn't aware that the kitchen "backsplash" was a wooden sheet of something covered in that "wallpaper" -- I'm assuming you had that mottled wallpaper look too?

Thanks.

Deb
Old 07-31-2013, 09:21 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
I think gords is just a nuvite bar dissolved in mineral spirits. It worked but still shows some swirl marks in bright sun. The clean up was from the buffer spinning the black mineral spirits everywhere. Obviously won't clean with water. I'd like to try that Wizards stuff you mentioned in another thread. I did repolish one section by hand and didn't really do anything to remove the final swirl marks.

The extra seal I used on the back window was just a normal sticky on one side window seal from the hardware store. Used it on the emergency portion and pushed the window tight closed. Not sure what you mean by extra holes. The actual opening part of the rear window does take some effort and "pop" open, but they do work and we do open and close them daily.

Counter top glue has held up fine. I gave the old counter top a good sanding to rough it up a bit. Just used the normal contact cement.