Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1966 - 1968 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2003, 04:13 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Zolotone?

We finally brought our Airstream home on Saturday and have made a big dent in cleaning out the family of mice that had taken up residence over the last nine years. YUCK. So much poop we had to wear face masks, don't want to die of any rodent diseases! The walls of our trailer are textured, appear to be vinyl but not wallpaper. They are in bad need of refinishing as the finish has pretty much faded away around the door, windows, and a few other places. I have read about this Zolotone paint but can't figure out if that is the paint on my Airstream. Does anyone know for sure whether this was used on the 67 Safari? I went to the Interior Forum but didn't find my answer there, however there is good information there if I knew for sure what I had. Anyone help me out here?
Lana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 04:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I believe you have vinyl wallcovering in a '67. Zolotone was only used until '65 or so. If it's Zolotone, it has different colored "speckles" like splatter-paint, and the texture is from the splatters. If it's vinyl, it will have a "color" & a "texture" usually a very regular, fabric-like texture to it.

If the vinyl is adhered well, you could Zolotone over it if you want, for the "look", although any texture of the vinyl would show through...or there was a thread somewhere about stripping the vinyl previous thread

Good luck Lana with whatever you decide to do!

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 04:45 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Thanks a lot! That answers my question. We don't have speckles and it is like a fabric texture so it must be vinyl. Now at least I know where to start. I read on the interior forum about needing to sand the vinyl and prime it and then paint it. Has anyone here done this and if so can anyone give me some tips?

Thanks
Lana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 10:32 PM   #4
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Lana:
Vinyl clad aluminum is what it is.I don't know if I would recommend sanding it.I took out my furnace for overhaul and found they used off-cuts of the material on the inside skin as a frame.I think I may have one laying around and could do a test on it and report.
Some time ago on InlandRV.com/parts Andy had a tip for cleaning interiors with a simple and cheap chemical.Can't remember what it was though.
Tip on the mouse dung-spray it with a weak bleach solution first (too late -right?) as we have deer mice (small rats) in CA that carry the Hunta virus which can be downright DEADLY.
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 05:08 PM   #5
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Well-I shot my mouth off too soon and when I went searchng for the "sample" it was nowhere to be found.I did however try a 220 grit sandpaper test on the wall inside the sink cabinet and it did not seem to touch it.My feeling is that the faded sections could be brought back with a paint "wash" technique,assuming you can find a paint that will adhere to the vinyl.
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote