Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1966 - 1968 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-16-2008, 09:54 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Chico , California
Restoration Started

I have decided to restore the interior of my 66 Safari over the winter. I removed the street side gaucho and cabinets first. I found my first problem with the refer vent. It is cracked around each rivet where attached to the wall. I am not sure what this is made of or what to use to repair it. I not even sure if I should! I have done repairs to my Dometic Refer so I am familiar with the process.(www.Alumantz.blogspot.com).
Looking for input or advise from someone that may have done this, or information on what to use to repair it. The closeup shows the worst part. The rest is better,but its not right.

NUTZ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Refer vent.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	69542   Click image for larger version

Name:	refer 1.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	69551  

Old 10-17-2008, 04:30 AM   #2
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
John, I think you should make a nice new one out of metal. That one is definitely leaking fumes out the sides. You can see the dark streaks on the edges.
You have opened a 22 foot can of worms now.... be ready to go much further than you originally intended. It will be a great winter project. Just keep up on that blog so I can follow what you are doing. If there is anything I can do let me know.

Did I mention how much we enjoyed the jerky you sent? It was great.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 05:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Hey John, good luck, I think you're going to do a fantastic job, yor refer repair looked absolutely professional and original.

And I agree with Frank, you could probably repair this one as you did your refer, but forming a new one from sheet metal would look really cool. Maybe even sheet copper? On mine, I will either create a new one from sheet metal, or clad my existing one with metal.

Good luck!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 06:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
John....please do continue to post pics here and on your blog. I have the same year/model as you and am just about ready to start my full restoration as well. My interior is in very good condition, however, I want to go down to the bare bones and check the frame, replace the floor etc...
Old 10-17-2008, 08:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Nutz,
Andy at Inland RV has a direct replacement for your refer vent...

Inland RV Center Inc.

Part #83825 marked down from $460.00 to $337.00

TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:06 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I know inlandrv sells the replacements but one out of copper or something would be cool if it is exposed... mine was cut on one side for some reason.. Little fiberglass will fix it... Opps Deitz645 beat me to the punch as I was typing...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:06 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Chico , California

Thanks for the kind words. I am posting this because I know if people are watching, the chances of me getting this finished will increase. My wife loves to remind me of an almost complete 1961 Corvette in the garage, several almost complete 1930's slot machines etc.etc. Almost like Frank doing the bathroom throw down with the VAP guys for motivation to get his completed! Speaking of Frank, glad you liked the jerky. You did not say anything about the "Polishing Music". I hope it did not pi** you off!
As far as the vent, I think I will save the copper for somewhere it can be seen. Have you noticed the price of copper recently? I will either patch this one or make one out of metal. More to come!!

NUTZ
Old 10-17-2008, 05:06 PM   #8
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
John, I have not listened to the CD at all. The only reason is that I have not done any polishing. When I do, it will be the very first thing I put on to inspire me. I am saving it for just the proper time.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:27 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumanutz View Post
Thanks for the kind words. I am posting this because I know if people are watching, the chances of me getting this finished will increase. My wife loves to remind me of an almost complete 1961 Corvette in the garage, several almost complete 1930's slot machines etc.etc. Almost like Frank doing the bathroom throw down with the VAP guys for motivation to get his completed! Speaking of Frank, glad you liked the jerky. You did not say anything about the "Polishing Music". I hope it did not pi** you off!
As far as the vent, I think I will save the copper for somewhere it can be seen. Have you noticed the price of copper recently? I will either patch this one or make one out of metal. More to come!!

NUTZ
You and your wife are too hard on yourselves. You completed the FANTASTIC job on the deep fried turkeys at the Rancheria Rally. So stick with the 'winter project' so you 2 will not have to sleep on the Safari floor again!
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 05:30 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Silverton , Oregon
I repaired my refer. vent (66 Caravel--same vent as yours) with epoxy--the kind you can form with your hands like clay after mixing it (got it I think from the POR 15 catalog). I had some (not as many) cracks similar to yours and one spot at the bottom where a couple inches of the "flange" was broken off. It came out pretty nice after sanding. I then painted with a can of spray paint for plastic surfaces. I'm doing a pretty major overhaul too. I've refinished the salvageable woodwork and replaced the rest, and just finish making and installing a new base cabinet and countertop for the galley after putting in a new Dometic refer. Next a floating bamboo floor, then the inside will be pretty well finished and I'll post some pictures. Have new converter in place and working well. New Henschen axle in place, but I chickened out and had that installed at a shop. Hope you enjoy the process as much as I have been. Can't wait to get back to it.
mrauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 10:13 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Keep posting folks!! You can't beat the '66 Vintage trailers and I am getting inspiration from you to begin the major work on Aunt Bee
Old 10-22-2008, 12:21 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Chico , California
Ok Frank, I got the sickness!! I have got everything out except for the tub-toilet sink combo. Water heater is trash. I bought a new breaker box and breakers. I don't really trust the 42 year old breakers. Now I need to decide whether to go back with PEX or copper. A few pictures to keep you folks laughing! Any hints for getting the tub combo out? So far this is the only bad spot in the floor. It is where there was a leak in the water heater door seal.

NUTZ
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00013.1.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	70060   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00017.1.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	70061  

Name:	DSC00030.1.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	70062   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00034.1.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	70063  

Old 10-22-2008, 12:36 PM   #13
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
The only advice I can give is you are de constructing it. You need to reverse the process and the hard part is figuring the process. Just look it over and figure out how they put it in. If that is all the floor rot you have, you are a lucky guy.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:55 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
The only advice I can give is you are de constructing it. You need to reverse the process and the hard part is figuring the process. Just look it over and figure out how they put it in. If that is all the floor rot you have, you are a lucky guy.
Even so, check the frame underneath to be sure...
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:45 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Chico , California
The floor thing is a mixed blessing. The trailer lived most of its life in a desert town called Hemet so very little rain. On the down side, before they painted the roof white, they sanded the metal so it would adhere better. I am going to try Franks method of sanding it down before a polish but I may end up repainting it white.
NUTZ