Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Omaha , Nebraska
Replacement AC 1966 Safari

Hi Everyone!
I've been looking through the threads, and keep getting sidetracked. I also haven't found the answer to my question, so I thought I'd post it. We just removed the old AC from our '66 Safari. We want to know what to look for in a replacement. I keep reading about new ones being made for a 14" x 14" roof opening, but there's certainly no such hole in our roof. What do we do? Is there a different style I should be seeking, or am I left cutting a hole in the roof?

Thanks,
Caitlin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1843009754.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	477.0 KB
ID:	167328  
caitlinrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Pierre , South Dakota
I have just got a 67 Tradewind. Yours came with a Armstrong Bay breeze unit and they had two holes one the refrigerant lines and one for the motor shaft to run through the roof. Also if yours is like mine the condensate tube runs inside the coach down the divider wall and through the floor. I think I can get mine to work, the evaporator coils cool down but the fan motor is frozen.
To install new unit you will need to cut a 14"x14" hole through the exterior, reinforce the shell, most cut 2x lumber the shape of the roof for the front and rear "stringers or bows" and straight material on the sides. If your A/C does not have a condensate tube in the wall you will need to remove the street side interior panels to install.
If your A/C shroud is good I would be interested.
By the way IF you have not already removed your a/c most parts are still available, they can be repaired.
Good Luck,
Jack
195Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:40 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Omaha , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by 195Pilot
To install new unit you will need to cut a 14"x14" hole through the exterior, reinforce the shell, most cut 2x lumber the shape of the roof for the front and rear "stringers or bows" and straight material on the sides. If your A/C does not have a condensate tube in the wall you will need to remove the street side interior panels to install.

If your A/C shroud is good I would be interested.

Good Luck,
Jack
I was afraid of that. I don't like cutting new holes in the AS. My husband and father-in-law removed the shroud yesterday before we took the unit off. It would trip the breaker when we tried to turn it on and it seemed to be frozen up. From what I could see from the ground the shroud seemed to be decent. I'll try to take some pics the next time I'm out there and send them to you.

Caitlin
caitlinrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Omaha , Nebraska
Here are some pics. I tried sending a PM, but I couldn't figure out how to attach the photos. I have more if you want to send me your email address.

Caitlin
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3486223852.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	434.4 KB
ID:	168395   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-994121945.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	438.6 KB
ID:	168396