Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
please help with serial #1968

all,

found a trailer that will need a lot of work but having issues figuring out what model - according to the title - it is a 1968 serial# 0228s163 which according to serial# info this should be a 22' overlander because of the 0 as the 1st numeral??

but i see they didn't make a 22' overlander? is it a safari??

any help appreciated...thx!
groovzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #2
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
22 22 feet
8 1968
S Santa Fe (California )
163. Sequential number off the line

So yes, a Safari I guess, do you have pictures?

Look for the plate by the door, title often have differences or may not actually be for the trailer!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
With regards to the "O" standing for Overlander...that's based on a faulty document that has floated around in the Airstream archives for years and states the "0" or "O" stands for Overlander which was a 26' Airstream (available in both the Land Yacht & International versions). It is wrong and keeps being perpetuated as it is impossible to purge it from the internet. It mistakenly indicates a "0" (zero) as an "O" (letter). It stated the "O" (Oh) stands for Overlander when in actuality it is intended as a "0" (zero) which = Land Yacht package versus "I" (eye) or "1" (one) = International package.

The International package had a few extra bells & whistles. "0" (zero) is just a placeholder when the "Land Yacht" level of finish is present. "I" was used for "International" finishes.

The term "Overlander" has always stood for a length of trailer, not a level of finish.

I concur with reinergirl's assessment of what your trailer is based on the posted VIN #0228s163:

0 or O = Land Yacht package
22 = 22' long (Safari)
8 = built in 1968
S = built in Santa Fe, CA
163 = sequential number

Good luck with your new-to-you '68 22' Safari! Check out the archives for some additional examples to confirm your model....you ought to see alot of similarities!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
appreciate your help - the trailer is rough - has dents, needs floor and door is dented - interior is partially missing/gutted - it really is a mess

i can get it for $2K and since the smaller trailers are hard to find, i thought i'd buy it and take my time working on it.

***FINALLY ABLE TO UPLOAD PHOTO OF THE 22' SAFARI
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream1.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	260.0 KB
ID:	199789  
Old 11-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
i do have a couple more important questions - the very lower curved portion of the aluminum shell is very damaged in the front and just to the rear of the door - this would be the skin to the bottom of the lower trim. it looks like a seperate narrow pice of skin which is at the very bottom below the trim

are these curved aluminum pieces available?

also the wide ribbed aluminum trim which runs around the sides and front of lower portion of trailer is damaged - is this trim available?

thx in advance! ***found a photo of another trailer i was able to upload indicating what i am referring to above - yellow arrows are aluminum pieces and black arrows are pointing to wide ribbed trim
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2013, 09:16 PM   #6
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
The lower curved portions are called banana wraps and if...make that when.... you do your shell off restoration, they are very thin and can be rolled out with a roller to look much better! I saw one member who used a bowling ball and they looked great.

The trim is called rub rail and I'm not sure exactly what it looked like in 68 but a similar replacement can be found like this:

Airstream Trim Band (1956 to 1965)

The dents in the end cap are serious. And the panel in the left front I believe is a formed panel too. That means that you have to find a donor trailer. Or learn how to use an english wheel .

Honestly, I'm not sure I'd pay $2,000. If there's one thing I've learned from my restoration it's that you want to start with the most perfect exterior skin possible. ESPECIALLY the endcaps.

Good luck!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:53 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
They lower curved portions are called banana wraps and if...make that when.... you do your shell off restoration, they are very thin and can ba rolled out with a roller to look much better! I saw one member who used a bowling ball and they looked great.

The trim is called rub rail and I'm not sure exactly what it looked like in 68 but a similar replacement can be found like this:

Airstream Trim Band (1956 to 1965)

The dents in the end cap are serious. And the panel in the left front I believe is a formed panel too. That means that you have to find a donor trailer. Or learn how to use an english wheel .

Honestly, I'm not sure I'd pay $2,000. If there's one thing I've learned from my restoration it's that you want to start with the most perfect exterior skin possible. ESPECIALLY the endcaps.

Good luck!
thanks much for your info - i checked out your blog and the work you've done on your airstream is excellent. - are you moving to seattle anytime soon :-)

thanks again!
Old 11-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
i seemed to get ahead of myself with all the excitement of finding a 22 footer.

i must have been insane to think i would buy the above trailer considering just how damaged and pathetic condition the exterior/interior is. its in a sad state. lots of body damage on rear as well.

i'm really in no position to take on a restoration project - i just don't have the interest - i really appreciate the hard work and focus many of you have exhibited in your restoration work.

my search continues.....

btw, i'm not afraid to take on a project and i sent many years restoring older 356 porsches - here is my 1959 super sunroof coupe that i restored 25 years ago - i'm sure the airstream community will appreciate its deco design - it is a beautiful piece of art!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1959 356.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	199818   Click image for larger version

Name:	1959 356 2.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	199819  

Tags