Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2008, 10:29 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Chico , California

I have been reading for quite awhile and just now joined up. My name is John and i have recently purchased a 1966 Safari. Its in relative good shape and I am trying to decide wether to do a restore, refurb or go wacko and redo the whole thing. I hope to someday get to meet some of you folks. I am in Chico, Ca. That is about 1 1/2 hrs north of Sacramento and I am retired. Lots of time to play with the new toy. I just don't know if I can afford to tow it!

JOHN
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00002.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	61596   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00021.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	61597  

Alumanutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:55 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Winter Haven , Florida
Welcome, your Safari looks great...
Old 06-01-2008, 11:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Welcome to the forums! Congrats on your great looking Airstream!

We are only a few hours north... My hubby completely did a frame off on our 1963 Bambi and is working on our Flying Cloud. The Bambi thread has lots of information on how-to's etc. I will post his link further down... You should decide whether to keep, redo or go whacko depending on how soon you want to go camping! Lots of places not too far from you, so fuel shouldn't be a major, major issue. If it were me, I would say be sure all the safety things are in good shape, tires, axel, electrical, no water leaks, water system... then get out an enjoy it awhile. Then you can decide what you want to do after you have been in her awhile.

I also suggest trying a rally or two and seeing what others have done to their rigs. It is a great way to meet folks and get cool ideas. There is a Rally at Lava Beds in August you might be interested in. Go to the toolbar at top and click on rally schedule and click on Lava Beds Rally to get info.

Well, here is a link to my hubby's restoration thread on the 63 with lots of pics, diagrams, how-to's: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...mbi-17925.html

Good luck, and again, congrats!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:12 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
salem , Oregon
What a cool ride! I just love how so many people on this site have chosen to restore those classy older models.
Welcome.
b
BeccaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:15 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Winter Haven , Florida
How does the inside look to you?
Old 06-01-2008, 11:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome the the Forums...youi are in for a great time with your new baby...both getting it ready to roll and then actually rolling! Glad you joined us!

See you down the road...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Welcome! You have come to the right place to learn.

I have a 66 Safari also....let me know of any special questions you have
Old 06-02-2008, 11:39 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Chico , California
Thanks for the welcome! I have had it for about a month. I felt the first thing to do was to make it weather tight. I rebuilt all of the window cranks and arms. Then installed new weather striping. Removed all the roof vents and rebuilt the LaDeux(?) lifters. It had the origional floor tiles covered with carpet. I have removed the carpet, popped up the tiles and bagged them up. I am assuming they are asbestos. The floor looks good so far. Today I hope to put it up on jackstands. I have removed the rear half of the belly pan for inspection and once up on stands, I will take measurements for axle replacement. While waiting for the axle, I will be tearing up the bathroom. The sink is really torn up. Looks like sun comming in thru the rear window has warped it really bad. I will need to replace the sink. Thanks again for the welcome and I will be visiting often.
Alumanutz is offline   Reply With Quote