Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1966 - 1968 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Waco , Texas
Need an axle

Okay, got the frame ready for the Por 15 treatment but it was damaged in transit and looks like I'll be waiting another week for it to arrive. So, I'm looking at the axle on my 68 Safari Twin 22 footer. It doesn't let the wheel down AT ALL when I jack the frame up. So, I figure new shocks and axle at a minimum. Checked the archives, did a search, but haven't found what I'm looking for which is a good place to buy a new replacement axle and shocks. Am I looking for an axle or a "running gear"? And electric brakes sound like a lot of problems with things that can go wrong. I'll have to pull the wheels and see what I've got to work with. Any helpers close to Waco? Sure will be nice to start putting things back together and not tearing things apart...that does eventually happen, right? Is it possible to get an axle rebuilt?
Thanks for any advice from those of you out there who have been on this journey.
Skywriter
Skywriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I would recommend Colin Hyde. He knows what he is doing.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
You definitely need an axle. Never heard of anyone rebuilding them. As mentioned above, Colin Hyde Trailer Restorations ought to be able to help. Another alternative is Inland RV, perhaps more expensive, but you get a more "commercial" experience. There are certainly other providers as well.

Electric brakes seem to be the norm. You can order an axle with hubs, brake drums, and the whole sh'bang without any extra trouble. I think I ordered a complete axle for around $750.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Colin now supplies inland RV with axles. The two manufactures are Axis (plant is in Elkhart, IN) and Dexter (plants around the country)
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywriter View Post
Okay, got the frame ready for the Por 15 treatment but it was damaged in transit and looks like I'll be waiting another week for it to arrive. So, I'm looking at the axle on my 68 Safari Twin 22 footer. It doesn't let the wheel down AT ALL when I jack the frame up. So, I figure new shocks and axle at a minimum. Checked the archives, did a search, but haven't found what I'm looking for which is a good place to buy a new replacement axle and shocks. Am I looking for an axle or a "running gear"? And electric brakes sound like a lot of problems with things that can go wrong. I'll have to pull the wheels and see what I've got to work with. Any helpers close to Waco? Sure will be nice to start putting things back together and not tearing things apart...that does eventually happen, right? Is it possible to get an axle rebuilt?
Thanks for any advice from those of you out there who have been on this journey.
Skywriter
Yes you are correct, your axle definately needs replacement. Rebuilding them is not currently an option, although I believe at one time it was. Your axle will come completey assembled & include 12" brakes, powder coated axle tube,"safety-lube" spindles (allows you to grease the bearings without removing the wheels), shock brackets welded in place, mounting bolts, lug nuts & an owner's manual.
Thanks,
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hendersonville, NC , North Carolina
Colin got mine for me... We're happy we did three years ago.
kokopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
You might want to check and see if there is a Red Neck Trailer supply near you. I had inland order them and had the shipped to a local red neck supplier. There was no shipping charged, so it saved me $$$$$$ !! The axles were Dextel axles working well so far.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Buda , Texas
I am in San Antonio, and I am working on a 68 Safari Twin. I am a little behind you on my trailer. Would love to help, but Waco is a little too far. Good luck, by the way I will be ordering my axle from Colin, maybe he can work us a deal on shipping?
Old 06-30-2012, 08:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Map_man View Post
I am in San Antonio, and I am working on a 68 Safari Twin. I am a little behind you on my trailer. Would love to help, but Waco is a little too far. Good luck, by the way I will be ordering my axle from Colin, maybe he can work us a deal on shipping?
Shipping is certainly cheaper, when more is on the pallet
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:03 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
for what it's worth, (nothing really) but, i too would recommend colin. he got me squared away when i replaced the axle on my 66 caravel
cojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:32 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
Olathe , Kansas
+1 on Colin. He was a pleasure to deal with and really knows what he is talking about!

Ken
Old 07-01-2012, 07:48 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Springfield , Illinois
I purchased mine from Inland and received the fastener package in a couple of days and received the 2 axles direct from the factory after they were built. Took a couple of hours to get organized on the installation but after the first axle installed it took 2 hours to replace the second. Well worth the effort though.
Riverrat6270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:03 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Map_man View Post
Unfortunately, shopping can and does add considerable cost to replacement axles.

But also, that sort of depends on which axles are needed.

Different shipping areas are sometimes available.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote