Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
West Fork , Arkansas
Jim+Jane's '67 Safari

After years of thinking about Airstream this week we just had to buy a 1967 Safari from a fellow in Rudy, AR and haul it to our place in West Fork, AR.
Now the challenge begins. We are just beginning to verify what works and what doesn't. Body is in fairly good shape with minor dents and scratches. New tires but not sure brakes work and need to figure out 115 V wiring situation. Propane is now only connected to the stove and water heater. Interior could use a better bed arrangement and finishes need to be"adjusted". We have MUCH to learn but specific questions will go to the other forum so as not to bog down this thread.

I've attempted to insert a link to photos through photobucket.
Jim

JRF0st3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Welcome to the forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRF0st3r View Post
After years of thinking about Airstream this week we just had to buy a 1967 Safari from a fellow in Rudy, AR and haul it to our place in West Fork, AR.
Now the challenge begins. We are just beginning to verify what works and what doesn't. Body is in fairly good shape with minor dents and scratches. New tires but not sure brakes work and need to figure out 115 V wiring situation. Propane is now only connected to the stove and water heater. Interior could use a better bed arrangement and finishes need to be"adjusted". We have MUCH to learn but specific questions will go to the other forum so as not to bog down this thread.

I've attempted to insert a link to photos through photobucket.
Jim

Hi Jim, A few things to help you. Click on the pics to make them big.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream manual 15c.jpg
Views:	705
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	149329   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream manual 15d.jpg
Views:	700
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	149330  

Name:	Airstream manual 15extrear.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	262.3 KB
ID:	149331   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream manual 42.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	272.2 KB
ID:	149332  

Name:	Airstream manual 56.jpg
Views:	909
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	149333   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream manual 49.jpg
Views:	731
Size:	316.5 KB
ID:	149334  

Name:	Airstream manual 62.jpg
Views:	659
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	149335  

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Jim, Welcome to the forums! Happy to have another '67 Safari owner here. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Welcome to the forums Jim. The late sixties Airstreams are some of the best. I sure love my 66 TW.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
West Fork , Arkansas
Need rear window aluminum bar

Why should I seek when none exist? Our '67 Safari rear window has the top part of the aluminum bar and frame in place but a PO removed the bar attached to the glass and used sealant and screws to fix a piece of acrylic in its place. Of course the acrylic has cracks and leaks and will not open for ventilation. Does anyone have a junker '66, '67 or '68 from which a front or rear window bar could be salvaged? If I hear no other, sounds like polycarbonate, rivets & sealant is one path forward.
Onward thru the fog.
Jim
Old 03-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Folsom , California
Keep working on the pictures! Love to see some actual pics of your prize!!
JodyoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
West Fork , Arkansas
as found condition pics

If the pics attached, these are pre-renovation. We are repainting interior white after removing the darn pink paint from aluminum trim. SketchUp is being used to model a revised interior with a slide out double bed and wardrobe in the front, maybe Ikea cabinets in a totally redone kitchen and later rebuild of dinette and refer area. We have waterproof cork/vinyl tile to replace the carpet.
We have resolved the 120 Volt electrical concerns but 12 V looks like a rats nest, although it works. Brakes and connection to truck brakes are to be resolved and slowly addressing leaks, window repair, lighting issues and skin repair.
Concurrently, we have a "shed" designed to house the AS with amenities to make it guest quarters using the trailer or later fully enclosed to serve same purpose without it.
Not bored around here.
Jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN4847.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	498.3 KB
ID:	154127   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4839.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	154128  

Name:	DSCN4835.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	306.7 KB
ID:	154129  
Old 03-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Folsom , California
OH!!! Pink!!! What's wrong with PINK!!! LOL
JodyoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
West Fork , Arkansas
Guest Cottage first

Restoration of our 1967 Safari has been on the backseat for a few months while we built a guest cottage to shelter it, provide a full size bath, storage and deck. See photo. Yes, the view from the Boston Mountains of Northwest Arkansas is awesome!

We have repaired banana wraps, electrical faults, and started bed construction but MUCH more to do. At least now we will be able to work under shelter.
Jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	guest cottage SW view.jpg
Views:	992
Size:	645.2 KB
ID:	173016  
Old 01-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
West Fork , Arkansas
Rivet Preliminary interior design

We are using SketchUp to design the new interior. A lounge / slide out queen bed would be at the front and a wardrobe closet on the curb side. We are considering putting in a water tank and fill beneath since the original was replaced with a small tank below the dinette seat. Kitchen cabinets would be new, modifying Ikea units. A propane radiant heater might be installed at the base of the tall wardrobe / storage unit next to the kitchen.
Jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	airstream renovate.jpg
Views:	964
Size:	417.5 KB
ID:	175909  
Old 01-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
West Fork , Arkansas
12 V rats' nest

After removing existing kitchen and refrigerator / battery cabinets we discovered 8 openings in the wall above the battery, 6 of which still have aluminum wire stubs, some joined together. See photo. Should we be able to tell which wires are which purpose from the OM panel diagram on page 51?

The second pic shows the area beneath the dinette bench with a jumble of 12V wires, water pump and PO's substitute water tank. The system now has no Univolt or charging line from towing vehicle, just a wet cell battery and charger. Should we accept the system as it is since the 12V fans and lights that remain still work? If it would be safer and better to rewire starting with where wires come out of the wall, advice appreciated.

Jim Foster
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	exist 12V battery.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	176446   Click image for larger version

Name:	exist 12V & water.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	257.6 KB
ID:	176447  

Old 01-21-2013, 09:02 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
West Fork , Arkansas
The verdict is in. Subfloor must be replaced. I found that what we were seeing that seemed stabile was a 3/8" plywood covering over a reasonably rotted original subfloor. So far interior partitions and furnishings have been removed (and saved for pattern) back to the bath wall. I can see that the bath fixtures must also come out to do this right and I'm dreading that since they look fragile. Posts from other threads such as Jack's '67 Safari have been most helpful.
Of course there are belly pan gaps to repair, insulation to add and ongoing effort to resolve leaks. Along the way the utilities will be upgraded, details TBD.
My new mantra is "if this were easy, the PO would have done it."
Jim
Old 01-21-2013, 11:00 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Everywhere you look....

Jim,
Just take your time here! Before you get busy with the sub-floor replacement you should get your leaks under control. As you have to remove the interior anyway to replace the floor you might as well strip out the interior wall and ceiling panels and seal all your panel seams from the inside. Then seal all the exterior seams and any vents or riveted patches/covers. That way all leak issues except the windows and doors will be addressed. As for the rear window there was someone out west that was parting out a '68 Tradewind that may have the parts you need. His name was Wally but that is all I can remember right now. I bought several items from him for my trailer. I will look up his info and see if I can come up with contact info for you. More to follow. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
West Fork , Arkansas
Ed,
Our Airstream spent 9 months under sky as we built the shed in which it is now housed when parked so we had opportunities to watch for and address leaks. I know for sure that the rear window remains a problem and two more vent pipes need seals. There could certainly be concealed leaks between inner and outer skins, although I had not anticipated stripping out more of the inner skin than essential for floor replacement. I do value your advice to take it slow, although my spouse is getting impatient. (I'm resisting an obvious joke here.)

Thanks also for helping to find a contact for rear window part! After looking at it closely, the hinge is still there but the glass bar, glazing and some of the operating hardware is gone. Glazing and hardware can still be purchased but I'll need to find or fabricate the glass bar which fits between hinge and glass.
Jim
Old 01-21-2013, 03:08 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Jim, like your '67, your shed, and your location! Great way to start a serious restoration is a nice shed to cover your work. And getting to do your work in the Boston Mountains is outstanding. My boss (wife) and I lived in Fayetteville for 5 years in our very early days going to the U of A and I dream of making a trip to Devils Den one these days. Keep us posted on your restoration and please post some photos of the beautiful surroundings there!

BTW, what Sketch-Up are you using, the free version or the purchased one?

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Jim

Take your time removing the bath. Label everything very carefully. If the trim molding pieces that cover the rivets where the tub meets the wall and other spots in the bathroom is the same as my 68, it is not available anywhere. Take care with it. Good luck with the project. Good luck on finding the window parts never know when they will be on Ebay or here on the classifieds. I looked for months for light fixtures to match my originals and one day a fellow had 2 for a good price. Just have to check every day.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:14 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
West Fork , Arkansas
SketchUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonse View Post
Jim, like your '67, your shed, and your location! Great way to start a serious restoration is a nice shed to cover your work. And getting to do your work in the Boston Mountains is outstanding. My boss (wife) and I lived in Fayetteville for 5 years in our very early days going to the U of A and I dream of making a trip to Devils Den one these days. Keep us posted on your restoration and please post some photos of the beautiful surroundings there!

BTW, what Sketch-Up are you using, the free version or the purchased one?
Alphonse, it's good to hear from a former Arkansan. In the distance we see the UA campus from our new retreat. We are Razorback fans, having lived here for 21 years, unless their opponent is Texas A&M.

I've been using the free version of SketchUp. Our guest shed was built with this tool, see attached, and design of the AS interior started with downloading a similar 3D model to adapt.
Jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Guest Shed +AS~.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	177184  
Old 01-22-2013, 09:12 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Jim
Thanks for the Sketch Up perspective, looks really good. I have Sketch Up but simply haven't spent any time with it to learn it. I used Autosketch in days gone by and Sketch Up appears to be quite useful. How did you learn how to use it, "Learning by doing"?? Very nice concept for your shelter by the way.

If I get to Devils Den, I am going to holler!
Best,
Alan

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:54 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I really like your guest/storage shed. It looks like a great design. Nice location and view too.

You might show a photo of your rear window so others can see what parts you need.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:39 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
West Fork , Arkansas
SketchUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonse View Post
Jim
Thanks for the Sketch Up perspective, looks really good. I have Sketch Up but simply haven't spent any time with it to learn it. I used Autosketch in days gone by and Sketch Up appears to be quite useful. How did you learn how to use it, "Learning by doing"?? Very nice concept for your shelter by the way.

If I get to Devils Den, I am going to holler!
Best,
Alan
Alan,

Please do let us know if you make it to Devils Den some day. It is just a few miles away.
I learned SketchUp mostly be doing it but the SU website has free basic instruction videos to get you started. I'm a retired architect and I used this tool for thinking through concepts in recent years. A terrific resource for AS owners is AF member "NorCal Bambi". See the resources he offers by doing a AF search for SketchUp under the General Repair forum. This is from his posting:
Howdy All. I've been work with the computer program SketchUp. I've helped a couple of forum member with this program to design there restoration/renovation projects. Google SketchUp is the easiest 3D design program out there. You can see examples of what's possible with this program by clicking on two of my blogs below. My SketchUp blog and the Picasa site. You don't even have to have any experience to begin right away to design with this program. There tons of tutorials on line and on youtube to help you learn this program.
This thread will have the purpose to help you learn the program and to assist in solving any problems you may have.
If you are interested please do the following: Place a post on this thread stating you interest and send me a PM stating the same.
The program can be downloaded free from Google.
Let's design Don __________________
airstreamsketchup@gmail.com
www.donsstudio.com
SketchUp by Dawn
http://doneastsart.blogspot.com/
http://picasaweb.google.com/home