Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1966 - 1968 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2006, 07:56 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Very close Kevin! Soldiermedic, I am honored any time Kevin Allen gives us the value of his experience. He is right -- Shari is the source. See this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forum...ge-s-3631.html

So, 9" x 9" = asbestos. All asbestos was removed when the industry switched to 12" x 12".

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:35 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Hey Kevin,

I actually stopped for gas in Decatur on the way up to Bondville to get the beast. I can say that the only thing worse than driving I-72 is driving I-72 at night...NOTHING TO SEE!!

The tile size was 12x12 so no worries here. Over the next day I will post many pictures with questions. It seems that there are some issues that I could not see from the original pictures.

I know that everyone says that if I change any of the interior from the factory installed floor, walls, cabinets, etc that it destroys the value. I know that currently the interior needs more work than some sanding. I would think that a nice looking trailer has more appeal than a vintage with original equiptment (That looks like crud).

Thoughts anyone?
soldiermedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:14 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Aurora , Colorado
Congrats on your new baby. May you wean it away from your wallet early.

Just a couple of observations:

Once you remove the 12" x 12" tile you may very well find the dreaded 9" x 9" asbestos floor tile (I currently have 88,000 S.F. of the stuff at a project I'm starting and it's no big deal IF HANDLED ACCORDING TO REG'S). Floor tile is generally regarded as the easiest ACM problem and professional removal can range as low as $1.00/S.F. in large quantities; the stuff is non-friable and the bulk of the removal cost is in the mastic. Keep in mind, however, that I am not a pro in hazmat removal, only a veteran.

Chemical stripping/refinishing of the wood may offer you a faster and more aesthetically pleasing end-product than sanding. Would be happy to give you whatever pointers I've picked up in the area of wood refinishing (and/or general work on the A/S).

I'd be happy to come take a look at the new arrival (and coax the nephew into coming along) sometime this weekend. Drop me a line & let me know what's up.

Neophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 08:17 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Changing Interior Furnishings

Greetings soldiermedic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
Hey Kevin,

I actually stopped for gas in Decatur on the way up to Bondville to get the beast. I can say that the only thing worse than driving I-72 is driving I-72 at night...NOTHING TO SEE!!

The tile size was 12x12 so no worries here. Over the next day I will post many pictures with questions. It seems that there are some issues that I could not see from the original pictures.

I know that everyone says that if I change any of the interior from the factory installed floor, walls, cabinets, etc that it destroys the value. I know that currently the interior needs more work than some sanding. I would think that a nice looking trailer has more appeal than a vintage with original equiptment (That looks like crud).

Thoughts anyone?
I agree that I-72 is one of the less interesting Interstates, and at night it seems to have huge numbers of deer that like to hang out near the traffic lanes. I often take US-36 that is a close parallel when traveling either East or West from Decatur.

Regarding the issue of how best to deal with interior modifications, most who use their coaches on a regular basis, modify their coaches to suit their needs/desires. The originality concern usually focuses more on the very early coaches that may have great historical importance -- or with coaches that are either family heirlooms or that have a certain personal significance. My Overlander has had a number of "modest" changes that wouldn't suit a purist, but the coach is quite capable of comfortable, modern RV travel. While I have chose to stick with a near original design (as the coach has been a part of my life since it was new and I was five years old), I am aware of many who have made changes such as:
  1. Changed a front lounge model to a front dinette model.
  2. Changed a center twin model to a center double.
  3. Completely redesigned the kitchen/living area.
While such changes may detract from the value of a coach to a purist who is looking for total originality; well executed changes typically do not have a tremendous negative value, and may very well enhance the usability of the coach.

One possibility is to selectively replace panels with serious delamination with new panels of similar material utilizing the original panels as a template. I have several instances of this solution in my Overlander. The gentleman who did the cabinetwork, was able to achieve an almost perfect stain match for the replacement panels; and through his careful selection of veneer plywood, even the grain of the replacement panels was quite similar to the original. In fact, the new panels looked so good, I ended up asking him to refinish all of the cabinetry.

Good luck with your investigation and assessment processes!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 08:49 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
THanks Kevin, I am about to go dive head in and take lots of pictures before I begin gutting (So to speak).

Lots of dear on the road was right considering how many smears we saw. Poor things...

Steve
Old 11-04-2006, 11:51 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Now that I have it home I can truely see the issues that this trailer has. There is water damage in the rear, the front door, and looks like in the front behind the dinette. Haven't checked under the kitchen cabinets yet.

The dinette table hinges broke off in transit. Looks like it will need some work. The upholstery has some water damage from being in the said areas. The two toilet pedals are completely rusted shut. I couldn't get them to move and thought they may break if I pressed anymore. The side of one of my overhead compartments is cracked and will need replacement.

Many doors are having the veneer pull off. Some latches are missing. Any place I can get the old style latches? The pocket door to the bath is slightly cracked, but not too bad.

Phew!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bathfloorgone.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	28094   Click image for larger version

Name:	couch1.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	28095  

Name:	overheadcrack.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	28096   Click image for larger version

Name:	couchexpand2.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	28097  

Name:	rustedshut.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	28098   Click image for larger version

Name:	pocket.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	28099  

Name:	floorbehinddinette.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	28100  
Old 11-04-2006, 12:56 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Kevin -- Pictures, pictures & more pictures will help you greatly. A small digital camera means each picture costs nothing extra if it just stays in your computer. Don't hesitate to shoot -- you aren't looking for 4-star pics for putting in a book or posting to the Forums. A fair number of situations faced me when I'd be putting parts of my Argosy back together and I'd go back to a digital shot to double check parts & position from before I took something apart.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:35 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Austin , Texas
Cabinet latches for your safari

I saw these http://www.inlandrv.com/parts/18669-cabnetlatch.jpg
on inland RV, if you have not found a source.

I too am about to undertake working on a Safari. Mine is a 67 22' in good shape, but needs a makeover. Similar configuration to yours. Kitchen is just on the other side.
Going to make it to more my tastes on the interior Going a little Modern. Planning on keeping some vintage items: Stove (will be painted), Refrigerator (laminated with aluminum front). and the original lights if I can find a replacement for the double bullet style reading lights. (same as your style). Apart from that, New arrangments I have the dinnette in front and going to make it so the table folds down and the becomes a full bed in front. Just have to figure out where to hide the cushion that will cover the table when down.
Put in wood floors and build some more modern looking cabinets, Empty my wallet , New laminate and some aluminum in the kitchen.

Have a few windows to replace now, and an AC shroud to rebuild, but then will start this mess in the spring.

Good luck on it.
Alt
Thealt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 04:12 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Welcome Alt.

Congratulations on your '67 Airstream. It was the company's best year ya know.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 04:33 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Soldiermedic

It looks like you got yourself a great unit. Not that I'm partial to anything called Safari that's older than 1969 or anything , but it does look like a very nice unit. Were you able to get any of the trailers history? That's always helpful and if you can trace it back to an original owner you just may hit the jackpot with their original paperwork. It's surprising how many people kept that even though they had sold the trailer.

Have fun with it.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:56 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Austin , Texas
Think I have the whole kit and kaboodle

Only 2 owners before me and all documentation was kept including the original sales invoice.
Funny to think it sold for near 6500 new.

Alt
Thealt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:20 AM   #32
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
When it comes to asbestos, I am no longer in the industry, but a consumer can remove their own asbestos when it is in small quantities. The amount in your trailer would qualify. You will need to wet it with a solution of water and cascade dish washing detergent to keep any fibers from becoming airborne if the tiles break (and they will) as you pop them loose. There usually is asbestos in the mastic used to secure the tiles in residential use. Be sure to get a particulate mask that has a HEPA filter to protect yourself and anyone that is present during the removal. Double bag the tiles and label per your landfill's requirements and dispose of in a landfill that will accept asbestos containing materials. It cost a little more, but you will be handling it properly.

Also, if you want to make sure that either layer contains asbestos you can have samples tested for $50 or less. You would need a sample of each layer with the adhesive used to secure the product still adhered to the tile sample.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:49 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Wish I could give credit to the creator, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. A nice pic on the original layout with measurments!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	68SafariDwg.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	33410  
Old 03-05-2007, 08:50 AM   #34
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I think you got a great layout. Obviously, this owner took good care of this trailer even though there are items of deferred maintenance. You got a real gem in this one despite the work that lay ahead. The good news is that all of the items you have mentioned can be replaced/repaired with available replacements. The wood panels can be replaced and the stain matched. I know it is disheartening to look at photos that make the trailer look like it is in almost new conditions and then upon arrival find these situations, but you knew it was 40 years old and a trailer of that age has its issues. All of which can be resolved with a little time, a lot of elbow grease, and unfortunately, enough money.

Good luck with the renovation and congratulations on the new-to-you Airstream! When the reno is complete you will have a real gem!
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:24 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Sorry Mate..this ones getting a full monty!

Had to give the wife what she wanted...separate sleeping areas (Front and rear) and a side bath.

Thanks to Carlos Ferguson for all the help.

Steve
Old 05-26-2007, 09:12 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
1968 22' Safari
Clarksville , Indiana
Hey Folks,
Just came upon this forum. I purchaced a '68 Safari which looked good, but found it needed unseen work. The upshot to it was, I really enjoy tearing things apart and with this project, to put it back on a DIME!! Some of what needed done, were new rear floor, new kitchen counter(damaged by water leak), Hot water heater repair, new windows(boy are these things expensive). Here are a few pics of before and after. Alot of this was done for pennies for instance the solid walnut bath door($15).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IM001255.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	37943   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0636.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	37944  

Name:	IM001256.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	37945   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0635.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	37946  

Name:	IM001257.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	37947   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0641.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	37948  

Name:	IM001259.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	37949   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0637.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	37950  

papademojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 01:15 PM   #37

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Very nice! I like the red bathroom, how did you do that? It all looks great, Did you paint the inside white? Did you just paint right over the vinyl. It looks great without the beige/yellowish tinge they all have.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 01:21 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Although I have sold this trailer I have all the interior parts still. If you need something then let me know.

Steve
Old 05-26-2007, 01:31 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
1968 22' Safari
Clarksville , Indiana

Last night I posted a pic of the bath room with shower curtain.
That is under the shower curtain forum. So to answer your question, It was totally removed from tt and painted w/Por-15 marine paint. And No the interior was not painted white, I just cleaned it real good with Simple Green. I'll try to show the before pics of bath. BTW
thanks for the compliment.
papademojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags