Old 02-17-2012, 04:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Waco , Texas
Interior End Caps

68 Safari Twin. I'm doing a refurb. Major. I'm taking the interior end caps off. Stripping the inside. Never had an Airstream before but always had the dream. And thanks to this forum, and lots of trial and error, figuring some things out. Before I get to the critical stage of actually taking the end caps off, two questions that I don't seem to find answers to in any of my searches. First, do those end caps fit out the door? Second, Airstream didn't happen to use glue on those endcaps, did they? I can deal with rivets and screws even when they are invisible and inacessable.
Thanks,
Skywriter

Old 02-17-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
No glue just rivets

Old 02-17-2012, 05:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
1962 16' Bambi
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
They do fit out the door as that's how they got in there.
60 Ambassador Int.
56 Whale tail
98 Safari
68 Tradewind
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1985 29' Sovereign
Toledo , Ohio
Everything inside fits through the door .
Woodfox45 WBCCI 14183
Old 02-18-2012, 06:25 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Waco , Texas
Wonderful! Still a bit skeptical, but I DO BELIEVE!
Thanks Aerowood, Shacksman (really--a 22' 67 Safari!), and Woodfox45.
Skywriter
Old 02-25-2012, 08:30 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Denton , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to OnTheFlyRoad
Hey Skywriter, How far are you going with the interior restore? I am within a week or two of pulling the end caps off my '70 Safari. Everything else is already out. Going for the Full Monty this spring.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:31 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Waco , Texas
Talking Not to the end caps YET!

OnTheFlyRoad:
Greetings from down I-35 in Waco Texas. I haven't gotten to the interior caps yet. Wouldn't you know that I found out I had more things to pull before I got to the end caps. I THINK I am getting close however. Close being within a week or two depending on my level of ambition. Today I plan on pulling the first half ceiling panel. When I get all of the interior panels off, I'll be ready to pull the end caps. I discovered that the floor will have to be replaced. I found several places where I could poke my finger through it--especially bad by the water heater next to the sidewall and the rear of the trailer. Also found I have the aluminum wiring for the 120 and will have to replace that. I have given myself a year to do this project and that can be extended...as for a budget, well, I'd like to keep it within $6-8K doing most of the work myself. I'm hoping to find some used RVs and salvage some materials/systems. I'm not looking to have a new Airstream, but a useable camper with working systems.
Let me know how you are coming and what you are finding as you get into your project. This is all new territory for me--only camped with tents before.
Jack
Old 02-26-2012, 07:39 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
They do fit out the door.

Here's a pictorial proof.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f116...tml#post893274
Old 02-26-2012, 08:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Be prepared when you take them down, they are very FLOPPY and it would behoove you to have help to control it. The rear end cap took me to the floor when I released the last rivet to take it out (granted I'm close to the floor to begin with...). When you put the end caps back in, you need help, because of the floppiness to hold it in place until you get a few rivets in. A couple 2x4s are helpful as props. We were fortunate to have a tall son-in-law slave to help us with it. Once you get it tacked in, it's manageable. Good luck!

Kay
Old 02-26-2012, 10:22 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
1976 25' Caravanner
trenton , Missouri
Another person to help is a must. Two more is very advisable. Double check around the perimeter a couple of times, there is often a rivet that was overlooked. The key here is patience,don't try this on a day when you or your help have any other deadlines of any kind. This procedure is kind of a one shot deal and the 35-40 yr old plastic is still very susceptible to damage after being removed from the trailer. Though difficult you will probably admit once it's done it wasn't as bad as you thought it would be. As soon as you get it outside and on the ground relax with a cup of coffee!
Old 02-26-2012, 01:13 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Denton , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to OnTheFlyRoad
Soft floor? And so it begins! I am here to tell you, regardless of my post counts, one thing always leads to another. I just moved my trailer to A&P Vintage Trailer today. I have documented the entire takedown, but this was one of the last images (much further along since this image) -
Old 02-27-2012, 07:36 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Waco , Texas
Thanks to everyone for the replies and words of wisdom. I got the first large panel off and am making progress working my way to the end caps. Time to go to the hardware store and get a few more boxes of drill bits. And YES, extra help with these panels is an absolute necessity! I am amazed at how all the 44 year old aluminum still shines on the inside! And I have wondered a few times about my sanity. But then I look out in the yard and I see that Airstream and it just talks to my soul!
Skywriter
Old 02-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Mine are fiberglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimpy View Post
Another person to help is a must. Two more is very advisable. Double check around the perimeter a couple of times, there is often a rivet that was overlooked. The key here is patience,don't try this on a day when you or your help have any other deadlines of any kind. This procedure is kind of a one shot deal and the 35-40 yr old plastic is still very susceptible to damage after being removed from the trailer. Though difficult you will probably admit once it's done it wasn't as bad as you thought it would be. As soon as you get it outside and on the ground relax with a cup of coffee!
My 67 has fiberglass endcaps still floppy but probably not as brittle as 35-40 yr old plastic. I removed and reinstalled them myself. But like the others, I'd advise getting help. Especially for the reinstall, I had quite a struggle!
Old 03-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Waco , Texas
Talking End Caps off and out the door!

Done Deal!
Got some help and managed to get the end caps off and out of my '68. I can now get to the dents in that area. No big surprises. Just lots of nasty stuff left by former rodents who camped there more than previous owners. Next is taking out the floor. I'll do a search and get the benefit of experience from all the people who have already done this. I don't know what type of insulation I'll replace the original fiberglass material with. I do know that the mice loved that stuff. Also, on frosty mornings, water condenses and collects on the inside of the aluminum skin. Don't know if there is an answer to solve that problem or not. If it looks like I can do a specific task in two hours, if I triple the amount of time, I am close to half right. I used to think I worked fast, but I have found out that I only work half-fast
Skywriter