Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1966 - 1968 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2003, 06:28 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

electrical problems

Hi everybody!

We worked on the electrical system today which was lots of fun.
Any day that we can block out and work on the a/s is fun.....

That problem with the tail lights was because the male end of the
embilical cord was wired differently than the female end on our truck; (Obie One Canobie) our electrician figured that one out.

But that still doesn't solve the problem of us changing out the embilical cord, because of the cracked insulation, where it comes
up out of the hitch. Has anyone done that one before?? Any one
ever done that one before???

Thanks for your help in advance!!!!

PS The new tail lights work great!!!!
Old 09-30-2003, 06:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
look on the front wall behind the goucho or Dinette. Should be a acess pannel in there some where The problem will be fishing the new cable up into the body cavity.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 06:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Electrical

A word of caution
I tried pulling the umbilical (six wire) to replace with a 7 wire. Couldn't get it to pull through. When I took the body off, I discovered why. The cord was knotted with an overhand knot under the floor.
Could have pulled until it broke without success. Don't know if they changed this method later, mine was built in '59.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 07:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: Electrical

Quote:
Originally posted by markdoane
A word of caution
I tried pulling the umbilical (six wire) to replace with a 7 wire. Couldn't get it to pull through. When I took the body off, I discovered why. The cord was knotted with an overhand knot under the floor.
Could have pulled until it broke without success. Don't know if they changed this method later, mine was built in '59.
Mine must have been changed, No knot in the main cable just a paired red wire that I need to trace to figure out where it goes. 59 Ohio as well.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote