Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2018, 11:06 AM   #201
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Buda , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaa10bill View Post
What did you use to make 1/2 inch air space for wiring? Where did you mount your power control center and battery? I'm doing over my '68 Safari twin that I bought gutted, so I don't know where everything went originally. Pioctures would be helpful. Thanks

See post 95 for best picture of where we put electrical
Old 04-17-2018, 09:11 PM   #202
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Jamul , California
Did you install bottom panels first or last?
bsaa10bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 04:09 PM   #203
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Buda , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaa10bill View Post
Did you install bottom panels first or last?

Bottom interior panels first, front and back lower interior panels first, then work up. Overhead ceiling panels last. Make sure end caps are in before mid height panel and ceiling.
Old 03-05-2022, 12:52 PM   #204
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Buda , Texas
David & Diane's '68 Safari Milestone

After many years, I am getting the old Safari ready for my future retirement. I found a leak coming from the Fan Tastic Vent on the front of the trailer. When I installed the vents (flat vent on curved roof) I laid down a thick bead of Vulkem and tightened center screws then outer screws less tight. Worked fine since 2014, now the whole frame has cracked at front center and rear center. So, now to solutions, buy new fans (still flat fan on curved roof); second option is to drill small holes in cracked flange and fill with epoxy as flange is now curved to shape of trailer. Well, does anyone have ideas or suggestions on what to do moving forward.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5359.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	415.3 KB
ID:	412729
Old 03-05-2022, 05:42 PM   #205
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Well, well: Hello again from Colorado: I sure hope you have been enjoying that beautiful Safari you and your DW built on your kitchen table. Good idea to plug the leaks before retirement.

I might try filling the crack with a good epoxy and see if you can stop the leak. It seems a shame to do all the work to replace the fan and maybe have the same problem again. Consider the crack a 'stress relief' and now the fan is more relaxed on it's curved mounting. But you know more about these things than I do.

Glad to hear from you folks.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 07:29 AM   #206
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Buda , Texas
David, good to hear from you, glad that someone remembers our build. I agree that the relief of the stress created by my installation has occurred. I am thinking that the epoxy might be the best option.
Old 03-06-2022, 09:35 AM   #207
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
West Fork , Arkansas
Fan leak

David,
Retirement is a good thing; roof leaks not so much.

Do you think the fan frame crack will continue to flex? I think David is right that at this point it might be best to first try a sealant but if the joint is likely to continue to flex, use a sealant that also flexes.

When I cut the skin to fit the FanTastic I added aluminum angles beneath to support the unreinforced edges of the curve. I can't be sure this resolved the issue but so far, so good.

Jim