Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2018, 05:48 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1958 18' "Footer"
North Pole , Alaska
Axles replacement 1967 Safari

Does anybody have the ordering info for the axles on a 1967 Safari? I would go out and measure myself, but the 4 feet of snow around the thing makes it a wee bit difficult. I would like to get these ordered and on their way long before the snow melts. Could take months to get em shipped up here. I am hoping that someone just did these on their and happen to have the info sitting around.

Seth
badpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello from Colorado: I wish we had 4' of snow around here. We are in drought conditions this winter. We need the snow.

I replaced the axles on my 66 Trade Wind. I am also waiting new axles for my 75 Overlander. Specifying Airstream replacement axles got harder in the last few years as manufacturers consolidated. The Airstream factory isn't much help. I believe Dexter is the sold manufacturer of "Dura Torque" or Flex Torque trailer axles now.

Here is an Air Forums thread on the current state of the Airstream replacement axle business. You might find it useful.

http://www.airforums.com/.../current...ss-176380.html

The easiest thing to do it contact an axle expert and trust their judgement. Colin Hyde in Peru, NY, Inland RV in California are the old standbys. They can get you axles. As a closer to me alternative, I called Luke Bernader in Fort Collins, Colorado. Luke has specified scores of Airstream axles and he knows how to order correctly from Dexter. I recommend him:

AirstreamInCo@gmail.com

Here are the specs I discussed with Luke for my axle order:

3100 pound axle rating
22.5 degree downward starting angle
10" x 2.25" self adjusting drum brakes with bearings ("3500# standard configuration)
6 bolt on 5.5" bolt circle wheel mounting studs in the drums
EZ lube spindles
1" lift brackets to gain ground clearance
Shock mounting brackets with studs welded to the swing arms
80.5" hub face to hub face distance

Your trailer will have vertical shocks which are different brackets than the horizontal shocks used since 1969 I think. And your Safari is much lighter than my Overlander. Some Safari's have single axles, and some have two.
Single was more common I think. Your weight rating for a single axle may be in the 3500 pound range.

Here is a photo of the new axles with shocks mounted on my former 66 Trade Wind, see below. Plan on drilling new mounting holes to bolt up the new axles.

I hope this helps get you started...

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1406 Axles Both Mounted (Small).jpg
Views:	148
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	304776  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
1967 Safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by badpaddler View Post
Does anybody have the ordering info for the axles on a 1967 Safari? I would go out and measure myself, but the 4 feet of snow around the thing makes it a wee bit difficult. I would like to get these ordered and on their way long before the snow melts. Could take months to get em shipped up here. I am hoping that someone just did these on their and happen to have the info sitting around.

Seth
Seth , If you have a 1967 Safari trailer it only has (1) axle! If you are not sure of the specs on your trailers axle you should definitely check in with either Colin or Andy as to the axle you will need for your trailer. There should be an id tag on your current axle to give you that info but with 3 to 4 feet of snow I doubt you can get under the trailer to locate the tag. But before you call either of them make sure to have your trailer VIN number available... that will give them some useful info if you cannot get to the axle id tag. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:35 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1958 18' "Footer"
North Pole , Alaska
Sorry. The "Axles" thing was a typo. It is a single axle trailer. I will get the VIN and call them up.

Sadly, most of the snow is from when I cleared off the top of the trailer. I spoke to a friend in the Aspen area and he said that Ajax, Highlands, Buttermilk, and Snowmass are all running man made snow bases right now! That is insane. Pretty bad snow levels for most of the Rockies from what I have seen. Won't fend very well for the folks in Vegas/AZ, or Socal either. :-/

Thanks for the info guys. I will call them and see what they can tell me. I will have to take the specs and order through a local company though. Can't imagine what the freight charges would be for getting an axle all the way up here.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:39 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1958 18' "Footer"
North Pole , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52 View Post
Seth , If you have a 1967 Safari trailer it only has (1) axle! If you are not sure of the specs on your trailers axle you should definitely check in with either Colin or Andy as to the axle you will need for your trailer. There should be an id tag on your current axle to give you that info but with 3 to 4 feet of snow I doubt you can get under the trailer to locate the tag. But before you call either of them make sure to have your trailer VIN number available... that will give them some useful info if you cannot get to the axle id tag. Ed
Thanks again Ed,

Have you replaced the axle on yours? Sounds like we have the same trailer. Would they be the same axle, or did thy differ between trailer floor plan configurations?

Thanks,

Seth
Old 02-23-2018, 01:30 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
West Fork , Arkansas
Seth,
My order for our single axle 22' Safari was regretfully through Andy at Inland RV but I hear, fortunately, that he has retired. Colin Hyde has an excellent reputation but seems to stay too busy to even return calls. Anther source is Silver Trailer Supply in Washington State and the "boss", Dmitri Sorokovski, seems not only knowledgeable but dedicated to customer service. Check out: http://airstreamsupply.com/New-Airst...e-axles-106275

My Dexter axle was 5,000 lb, HF = 75.25 & OB= 57.88 32DT with 12" brakes & 15" wheels with 6 lug bolts @ 5.5". It had the 32 degree arms and an added 1" of lift bracket which gave an added 3" of clearance that is great. The 1" added bracket height allowed me to run propane between axle and belly pan instead of looping under. Of course I added Centramatic wheel balancers.

I chose not to install shocks since several experts assured me they are just decorative but other Air Forum members strongly disagree. All are entitled to their own opinion.

I installed the axle with no outside help using a Harbor Freight floor jack with spread arms to support in 2 places and adding a lever to hold the angle right under the trailer.

Jim
JRF0st3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:20 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
I can help you with a couple of measurements:

1. The distance between mounting flanges on a 1967 Airstream should be 57-7/8 inches

2. The mounting bolts are 5/8 inch diameter. Sorry, I can't find the measurement for the spacing of the mounting bolts.

Maybe someone will chime in with the rest.

I placed my order at a local Dexter dealer and picked the axles up at the dealer a week later.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:43 PM   #8
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Axle replacement

Just call Colin, Andy at Inland, or Luke at Luke’s Maintenance & Repair. Any of them definitely know how to order the proper axle for you. Luke replaced mine, complete with welding on shock mounts that didn’t come with the axle.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
Thanks again Ed,

Have you replaced the axle on yours? Sounds like we have the same trailer. Would they be the same axle, or did thy differ between trailer floor plan configurations?

Thanks,

Seth
Seth, I have not replaced mine yet. I will be having the shocks on my axle as that is what the original has on it. You may want to check in state to see if Dexter has an outlet in Alaska. Try horse or sport trailer dealers to see if they can get one without it having to be shipped from the lower 48 (someone may have access to axles made in state). I would almost bet you can get one there with a little detective work on your end. My trailer has the International trim package and is all Aqua and Mahogany on the inside. The lower trim package Landyacht had Pale Yellow interior and less exterior trim and tail lights, but these trailers were able to be custom built by Airstream if the order called for something different. As normal if you put out more money you could add almost anything! Hope this help, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:43 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1958 18' "Footer"
North Pole , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRF0st3r View Post
Seth,
My order for our single axle 22' Safari was regretfully through Andy at Inland RV but I hear, fortunately, that he has retired. Colin Hyde has an excellent reputation but seems to stay too busy to even return calls. Anther source is Silver Trailer Supply in Washington State and the "boss", Dmitri Sorokovski, seems not only knowledgeable but dedicated to customer service. Check out: http://airstreamsupply.com/New-Airst...e-axles-106275

My Dexter axle was 5,000 lb, HF = 75.25 & OB= 57.88 32DT with 12" brakes & 15" wheels with 6 lug bolts @ 5.5". It had the 32 degree arms and an added 1" of lift bracket which gave an added 3" of clearance that is great. The 1" added bracket height allowed me to run propane between axle and belly pan instead of looping under. Of course I added Centramatic wheel balancers.

I chose not to install shocks since several experts assured me they are just decorative but other Air Forum members strongly disagree. All are entitled to their own opinion.

I installed the axle with no outside help using a Harbor Freight floor jack with spread arms to support in 2 places and adding a lever to hold the angle right under the trailer.

Jim
Thanks Jim!

That will definitely give me something to go on. I don't believe that we have a Dexter dealership up here, but one of the trailer shops in town has to have a way of cross referencing them.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:46 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1958 18' "Footer"
North Pole , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52 View Post
Seth, I have not replaced mine yet. I will be having the shocks on my axle as that is what the original has on it. You may want to check in state to see if Dexter has an outlet in Alaska. Try horse or sport trailer dealers to see if they can get one without it having to be shipped from the lower 48 (someone may have access to axles made in state). I would almost bet you can get one there with a little detective work on your end. My trailer has the International trim package and is all Aqua and Mahogany on the inside. The lower trim package Landyacht had Pale Yellow interior and less exterior trim and tail lights, but these trailers were able to be custom built by Airstream if the order called for something different. As normal if you put out more money you could add almost anything! Hope this help, Ed
Thanks Ed. Sounds like we had basically the same trailer. I remember removing all the lovely Aquamarine bathroom fixtures when we gutted her. Only thing left are the end caps as I did not want to get rid of them before we have another option installed and functioning.

Sadly I am having a hard time finding a dexter dealer here in state.

I am just stoked that the better half gave me the go ahead to continue on with this project. I borrowed a buddies loader yesterday to clear out some of the snow around it.

Thanks again,

Seth
Old 02-26-2018, 10:54 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1958 18' "Footer"
North Pole , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRF0st3r View Post
Seth,

Jim
Do the shocks on these come as a kit where you can weld on the brackets, or are they already on there? I may want shocks as our roads are notoriously bad. Do you have a picture of the Dexter tag by chance? It looks like 6robblees carries them.

Thanks,

Seth
Old 02-26-2018, 12:21 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Do the shocks on these come as a kit where you can weld on the brackets, or are they already on there? I may want shocks as our roads are notoriously bad. Do you have a picture of the Dexter tag by chance? It looks like 6robblees carries them.

Thanks,

Seth
My local shop ordered the axles to my specifications from Dexter through Redneck Trailer Supply (real name). The shock mounts on the Dexter axles I ordered were 3/8" farther out from the frame due to a design change between them and my original Henschen axles. I had read about the problem on here before ordering my axles, so I was prepared to have to modify the axles. My shop came up with a simple fix - cut the top half of the bracket off, weld a piece of 3/8" steel to the inside of the bracket sticking up over the cut and weld the top of the bracket to the inside of the new piece of steel. Colin may be able to order the brackets welded in the right place, but my shop and I couldn't figure out how to do that because we didn't know the 3/8" number until the axles came and I could make a measurement. We chose to make the mod to the factory-welded bracket rather than weld a whole bracket on the swing arm, but others have done that.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:49 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
West Fork , Arkansas
Thumbs up

Quote:

Thanks,

Seth
The axle and brakes came directly from Redneck. Inland shipped the shocks separately but forgot the brackets. I followed up and then they sent the brackets but with no instruction or diagram for how to weld them on. I followed up to advise that I would be sending shocks & brackets back just so I preferred they sell them to someone who would use them. To be civil, I won't repeat his reply.

My exchange regarding brackets with Uwe Salwender of Area 63 Productions:
"The Dexter TorFlex axle with brakes has arrived but it has no bracket for shocks. Is it your judgment that shocks do not provide real benefit to cushion bumps with this type of axle?

Yes, Jim, that has been my experience. Many argue this point, but having towed many mikes with both scenarios, I say shocks are decorative, mostly. Dexter engineering agrees 100%..
…. if asked, just tell them Uwe said so….blame it on me."

Of course you should do what you think best regarding shocks. The tag on my axle is below.
Jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	redneck axle sticker.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	217.8 KB
ID:	305096  
Old 02-27-2018, 04:34 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1958 18' "Footer"
North Pole , Alaska
Thanks a ton to everybody. I have 2 separate shops working me up prices for replacements. Are there any axle manufacturers that I should outright avoid?

Thanks again!

Seth
Old 02-27-2018, 07:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
As far as I know, Dexter is the only manufacturer in the USA. David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:14 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Salt Lake City , Utah
Jim (JRF0st3r)
Many Thanks for your data in post #6 above
"My Dexter axle was 5,000 lb, HF = 75.25 & OB= 57.88 32DT with 12" brakes & 15" wheels with 6 lug bolts @ 5.5". It had the 32 degree arms and an added 1" of lift bracket which gave an added 3" of clearance that is great. The 1" added bracket height allowed me to run propane between axle and belly pan instead of looping under."
And the photo of the actual tag from your axle in post #14.
I have the axle off my 1965 Safari in preparation for ordering a new Dexter axle.
As with numerous others on this Forum I have spent a lot of time reading numerous posts and measuring my own axle numerous times to build confidence that when I put in my order i will get the correct axle. Your axle measurements are spot on exactly the same as for my 1965 Safari. That is a major confidence builder for me, prior to plunking down a big chunk of cash on a non-returnable part.

QUESTION : Does your axle have a CAMBER or is it a straight beam?

Thanks, Bronson
BWH-Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:21 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
West Fork , Arkansas
Bronson,
I'm glad you found the data on the new axle for our 1967 Airstream useful. If it isn't straight, that would be news to me. Attached photo of how I maneuvered it into place with no assistance. The board U-bolted to the middle was to provide a way to keep the mounting plates horizontal as it was lifted into place.

I had to drill one new hole for a 5/8" bolt but there was one that was in the right place. Inland had sent 1/2" bolts but after checking with Dexter, I used 5/8".
Jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2015-10-22 13.00.46.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	887.9 KB
ID:	305371  

Tags