Old 12-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #43
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Your Airstream Signage looks GREAT! From the photo's it looks like you: *taped it all off with painters blue tape *exacto knifed around the letters *took out the negative space cleaned the remaining silver with something? painted with what? regards
What I did was covered it with clear Contact paper, cut out only what I wanted to be blue, cleaned what was going to be painted with prepaint solution, painted three coats of blue, let dry for a week, carefully removed the tape, touched up the misses with a tiny, tiny paintbrush, and I was done. Easy Peasy....

ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Thanks for sharing your process on the Airstream signs. I have two that need done if you are interested. I can send them to you.

Some of my window cranks were stuck. I soaked the nut and screw in penetrating oil for a day, and then gently applyed torque back and forth. They did finally break loose except for one of them. I had to heat it a bit and it too finally broke loose from its rusty grip.

I hear these old crank mechanisms are hard to replace. Like your windows, don't break them.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1309 Window Closer.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	201477  

dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
The black tank is out. Below is a photo. It isn't very big, I think good for about 56 quarts. Mine is cracked.

I will replace this old tank with a "generic" tank available from several souirces. Inca Plastics in California has made Airstream tanks for years.

I plan on re-plumbing to a side discharge port hanging below the belly pan similar to newer Airstreams like my 86. And I also plan on adding a gray water tank of similar size.

I will replace my toilet with a modern one. I will strive for a vintage look.

Keep us posted on your progress...

David
David

Thanks for the photo of the TW black tank for a 66. I had no idea that it extended to the other side under the shower. Since I have replaced my toilet with a "Curve" porta-potty and thus the black tank becomes the grey tank, I hope to be able to repair it since it seems to be leaking a bit.

Sandy

Great work on your Safari and nice paint work on your signage.

I replaced the toilet with a Curve porta-potty and it fits the console style quite well. It works well for us. You can see details in my thread in the TW section.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #46
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Quote:
Thanks for sharing your process on the Airstream signs. I have two that need done if you are interested. I can send them to you. Some of my window cranks were stuck. I soaked the nut and screw in penetrating oil for a day, and then gently applyed torque back and forth. They did finally break loose except for one of them. I had to heat it a bit and it too finally broke loose from its rusty grip. I hear these old crank mechanisms are hard to replace. Like your windows, don't break them. David
I kind of enjoy doing the nameplates...slow meticulous work but you can see the results of your efforts in a few days. DH worked all day getting more of the floor readied so we will be running wire soon and then insulation. Blowing cold here so no outside work for a few months...goal is to have the shell back on by Christmas when the kids come home.
Sandy
Old 12-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Sandy,

We are in an icy grip like you folks. Air temp to -10 and wind chills to -25. I'm dreaming of going someplace warm in the old Airstream. Florida!

Dan, my black tank is cracked around the toilet mounting flange. It's available if you want a spare to try to repair before you pull yours. Tank and insulator are free, but shipping may be $60 or more. My galvanized tank pan was completely rusted out and bolted to a rotted floor. But I think it would be a job pulling one of these galvanized tank pans down due to the rusty bolts in tight places.

I'm going to try Sandy's masking technique on my Airstream signs and see if I can get them half as good as she did.

Shell on by Christmas, amazing. I'll still be plumbing by that time. I hope Santa brings two holding tanks for me. Keep us all posted on your North Dakota Safari.

David
Old 12-10-2013, 07:13 PM   #48
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Quote:
Sandy, We are in an icy grip like you folks. Air temp to -10 and wind chills to -25. I'm dreaming of going someplace warm in the old Airstream. Florida! Dan, my black tank is cracked around the toilet mounting flange. It's available if you want a spare to try to repair before you pull yours. Tank and insulator are free, but shipping may be $60 or more. My galvanized tank pan was completely rusted out and bolted to a rotted floor. But I think it would be a job pulling one of these galvanized tank pans down due to the rusty bolts in tight places. I'm going to try Sandy's masking technique on my Airstream signs and see if I can get them half as good as she did. Shell on by Christmas, amazing. I'll still be plumbing by that time. I hope Santa brings two holding tanks for me. Keep us all posted on your North Dakota Safari. David
The temps here are low for this time of year but we go with it as waiting to work on things until it warms up could take until May. I think the kids would like to be
using it as soon as it is feasible. DH got the wheel wells done today and he said it was quite the job to get them cleaned out. They look really good now. This weekend we should be getting more of the floor down but a person just never knows what might derail the master plan. The shell back on by Christmas is the master plan. Let's see if we can do it.
Sandy
Old 12-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #49
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
It's beginning to look a lot like floor time

DH spent the day putting lots of bolts on the trailer floor. Here is his handy work of late showing the reconditioned wheel wells, hitch, step, new C channel, and floor.
Sandy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN4336.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	201650   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4337.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	201651  

Name:	DSCN4339.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	228.5 KB
ID:	201652   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4334.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	265.7 KB
ID:	201653  

Old 12-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
That is some real fast and real good work! Looks like he has been there before. My compliments to you both!

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:49 AM   #51
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
That is some real fast and real good work! Looks like he has been there before. My compliments to you both!

Dan
Thanks Dan,
He does do good work (thanks!) and he is rather meticulous about what he does. He is really concerned that he does a great job because this one is for his baby girl. She's a daddy's girl and so he wants her to like what he puts together. Today should be more setting of bolts and this weekend we will be pulling wire and insulating the floor. Not long before Christmas and everyone will be home. Got to have the shell on by then.
Sandy
Old 12-13-2013, 05:49 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Hi Sandy,

Your pictures show a great looking painted frame. I am getting ready to apply POR 15 to my cleaned up frame, but the floor and shell are still assembled. So I will be laying on my back trying to paint POR 15. Can you as DH how he would apply POR 15 laying under the Airstream? And ask him how many hours it took for the POR 15 to skin over for the second coat. And I assume you applied the silver POR 15 for the second coat.

I have zero experience with POR 15 and I'm trying to learn how others do it.

You folks are making great progress rebuilding this old Safari. It will be very nice for your "baby girl".

David
Old 12-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #53
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Quote:
Hi Sandy, Your pictures show a great looking painted frame. I am getting ready to apply POR 15 to my cleaned up frame, but the floor and shell are still assembled. So I will be laying on my back trying to paint POR 15. Can you as DH how he would apply POR 15 laying under the Airstream? And ask him how many hours it took for the POR 15 to skin over for the second coat. And I assume you applied the silver POR 15 for the second coat. I have zero experience with POR 15 and I'm trying to learn how others do it. You folks are making great progress rebuilding this old Safari. It will be very nice for your "baby girl". David
David,
Every time we have put POR 15 on a frame, it has been with a brush. We have both done it so we know it is slow going but it really makes for a nice finished product. Some people spray it on but we don't have the equipment, space, and think with the brush we could get all of the nooks and crannies. Just protect your eyes and skin because once that stuff gets on you, it is ON YOU! Now we have only applied it from underneath when we had to and the watch word there is hold your brush to the side as much as possible so you don't drip all over and waste an expensive product. Plus you want to protect whatever you are painting over the top of because you will get drips no matter what. They just seem to come up when you look back to where you were and could have sworn there were no drips at the time.

The only part we painted a silver coat on were the parts exposed to sunlight. The rest of the frame will never be seen so we are going with the normal two coats of black POR 15. We usually waited a couple of days to recoat the frame depending upon the temperature out. If it is indoors and cold out, it takes longer. Outside and warmer takes less time. I would read the directions on the can as some good guidance on the exact process they recommend. Not sure if this answers your questions but hopefully it helps.
Sandy
Old 12-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Thank you for your input. I saw you photos and the silver A frame and step looked great. I saw the picture of DH brushing on black POR 15. So I was wondering if you seconded coated with silver POR 15. But the silver must have been the top coat.

Anyway, I hope I can get mine looking as good as yours does.

David
Old 12-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #55
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Do these cranks come apart? Without wrecking them? And how?

Sandy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1112128803.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	457.1 KB
ID:	201786  
Old 12-19-2013, 08:10 PM   #56
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
No one knows...

i am getting the hint that no one knows about taking the crank mechanisms apart or they didn't see my question. I hope someone replies because we would like to be able to clean them up on the inside as well as we have done on the outside. They look like they are in good shape so it would be nice to not have to buy new ones.

Got a delivery today of a black tank for the Safari. Waiting on the gray ones and may see those tomorrow. Getting the shell back on by Christmas might have been overreaching but perhaps when our son in law gets here, things will move a lot faster.

Also decided to try make a long runner rug for the camper. Took three weekends to cut and sew together. Gotta find a faster approach to custom rugs.

Sandy

Sandy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	374.2 KB
ID:	202051  

Tags