Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2015, 09:36 AM   #1

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
1966 Safari dinette table questions

When we bought our '66 Safari there was no table in the dinette. There wasn't, and still isn't, a bracket on the wall where it would attach.

We decided to figure it out later. So we stashed a piece of plywood under the gaucho cushion and got it out every night and set it up in the middle of the dinette with a support under it on one end and rested the other end on the water tank cover. We would put cushions on it and then set up a queen size air bed on top of all the cushions. It was cozy and comfortable but a real pain to take up and down. And when we left it up it we had to squeeze by it to get in and out of the door.

This was a huge reason our Airstream hasn't moved out of its shelter in over five years. We bought a brand new Outback and talked and talked about selling the Airstream but didn't. After walking around a TCT show last summer I decided we couldn't sell it and should keep going on this project.

Sorry for the long story. So I understand that the table attached to the wall with a bracket and you take the table off the bracket, fold the leg back, and then...... Where the heck do you rest the table on the dinette seats? I assume the end near the window rests on the water tank cover (like our piece of plywood used to) but I just don't get it with the long sides of the table. The cushions sit in the "tray" so to speak that has the lip on the front (back of your knees when sitting there) does the table edge just lay on top of those? But then when you cover it with cushions the height would be different. Or do you lift up the wood "trays" that the cushions sit in and put the edge of the table there? How in the heck did the table fill the void in the middle of the dinette??

I've been in two other '66 Safari's but their tables were both new mods.
Can anyone help explain how this works? We are probably building our own table and never having seen an original table we just aren't sure.If you have an original table could you please share its measurements? Thanks so much!!!
AYRSTRM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Maybe these pictures will help:
Vintage Airstream Photo Archives - Vintage Airstream
Old 01-22-2015, 12:08 PM   #3

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
Now I think about it

The more I look into it, the more I think the table wasn't supposed to do what we think it did. Our model is the twin because the dinette is two twin beds that are made by sliding the "trays" the cushions sit in toward the center of the camper. I don't think the table was designed/used to make it anything bigger. So did you just leave the table there when sleeping?
AYRSTRM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
'66 Safari Dinette Table

The dinette table in our '66 Safari (Santa Fe Springs built) is fixed to the front wall with screws and does not have any sort of removable bracket. The table leg does fold, but the table is large enough so there would be no place to store it if it were removed. The water tank cover is very lightly built and would not sustain the weight of the table if it were used as a bed platform.

The two gauchos each form approximately twin size beds. Sleep with your feet toward the front end of the trailer and the table is only in the way if you roll over with a knee bent. I've pretty much learned not to do that when I sleep there.

The table can be expanded to seat four with a leaf that is stored in a slot under the street side gaucho.

A while back, I corresponded with Goshawk00. They have a Jackson Center built '66 Safari that does have a removable table. There may have been differences between the trailers built at the two factories back then.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0024.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	281.7 KB
ID:	230916  
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Buda , Texas
We reconstructed this table and made it shorter than original, we did not want to slide into booth style table

This our table in the "up" sleeping position

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	230918
Old 01-23-2015, 05:05 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
2008 23' International
Currently Looking...
Cedar Falls , Iowa
Send a message via AIM to hahnstead
Our '66 Globetrotter has the same table/gaucho design as does the Safari. The table is designed so that it can be removed from brackets and stored behind the street-side portion of the gaucho. A previous owner, however, had permanently attached the table with a piano hinge and used a bungee to hold it up when not in use (it looks much like the table in DFlores' photo when it is up). We've left it this way and seldom have it in the "up" position since my wife is comfortable sleeping on the street-side gaucho with the table down (she's not very tall!).
Old 05-19-2015, 12:58 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Madison , Wisconsin
Here are photos of my '66 Safari Dinette.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5927.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	251.0 KB
ID:	238803   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5921.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	238804  

Name:	IMG_5915.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	238805   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5916.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	238806  

TDOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:02 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Madison , Wisconsin
And the rest of the series. Last two show how the table leaf is stored.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5926.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	238807   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5930.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	238808  

Name:	IMG_5918.jpg