Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2014, 01:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
1968 24' Tradewind
Alexander , Arkansas
1966 Safari 22' questions from newbie

Just purchased 66 Safari 22. I would say 95% original, original manuals included. Maybe a little more work than I have time for right now. But if I start with some basic refurb would like some opinions from current owners.

Univolt. original does not work. Replace with newer LIKE unit and keep existing fuse panel or replace with newer style fuse panel/converter combo?

Original appliances. All in great shape exterior wise, and visual mechanically clean. Just target each 1 at a time clean replace thermocouples ect until work properly?

AC. Looks good mechanically, shroud is shot. parts, compressor ect available for repair or just replace with newer non r12 unit?

Plumbing. All original. Can see a few shade tree repairs. original pump ect. Do most people just run all new PEX lines and call it good?

Interior. All original. Musty, foam deterioration. Just carry to upholster shop and duplicate?

Floor. Looks like Carpet may have been added shortly after new or may be original. Gotta go either way. No soft spots in living area or bath area but some repair needed underneath toilet battery area.

Exterior. Good shape all original windows latches ect. Small dent on bottom right front corner bottom pan though so you can barely notice. Needs cleaning, polish and TLC.

All cabinets, counters, 3 piece table, tubs, latches, still work. One set of curtains still there the rest were swapped for blinds. Tracks are still there.

Would appreciate all comments good and bad and any direction from you guys with experience.

Not sure why all pics did not upload....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	322.8 KB
ID:	210713  
Endl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:54 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Kennewick , Washington
As a fellow newbie, I won't be much help, but I did have an inspection done by some experts on Friday. I'll make a few comments based on their input and my own forum research, so take 'em for what their worth!

Replace univolt with newer smarter system. Lots of threads on this, pretty much a consensus.

Replace plumbing with PEX, as the joints hold up better bouncing down the road.

They are also pretty big on axle replacement. They contain rubber that will be degraded after 48 years.

How are your window seals? Mine are shot. Just ordered replacements and clips from Vintage Trailer Supply (VTS).

David
KennewickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:56 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
1967 22' Safari
1969 18' Caravel
Palo Alto , California
The most important thing I have to say is that you do not need to stay original. There I said it. There are a few folks out there that feel "original" is the only way to go but we have been to several rallies now and found it amazing that people have old trailers but have customized the inside to their needs.

When we bought our Safari, which was supposed to have a "solid" floor, we soon learned that the floor was rotted in several places. So, we gutted it, fixed the floor and started over. I would say that the most important fixes were a new axle-ordered from Andy at Inland RV-he knows his stuff and is very helpful-new tires of course. It was also important to add a grey water tank since some places won't let you in without one.

As far as your other questions go-we replaced everything. Once we gutted the inside it didn't make sense to put the old stuff back in. For example-it didn't make sense to put the old heater in because it was so big and heavy-so we bought a new more efficient one-and so it went with almost everything.

Denise
markdenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
The first thing to consider is whether you want to go camping, or spend time on a project trailer. If your objective is to make the trailer campable ASAP, then your approach is going to be way different than the shell-off-total-refurb route.

Click on the tab above that takes you to the Portal. Scroll down, and on the right there is a link to the "inspection checklist." Download the checklist and use it to thoroughly inspect your trailer. This will at least help you identify the stuff that needs to be fixed before the first camping trip (if that is your priority).

If you want a project, then just start tearing the thing apart. If you want to go camping, then fix all the stuff that is amiss on the inspection checklist, seal up all the leaks you can find (replace rubber gaskets around windows, doors, hatches, etc.), replace the axle, if it is original, and address the issues that will make it safe to use (tires, brakes, lights).

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endl View Post
Just purchased 66 Safari 22. I would say 95% original, original manuals included. Maybe a little more work than I have time for right now. But if I start with some basic refurb would like some opinions from current owners.

Univolt. original does not work. Replace with newer LIKE unit and keep existing fuse panel or replace with newer style fuse panel/converter combo?

Original appliances. All in great shape exterior wise, and visual mechanically clean. Just target each 1 at a time clean replace thermocouples ect until work properly?

AC. Looks good mechanically, shroud is shot. parts, compressor ect available for repair or just replace with newer non r12 unit?

Plumbing. All original. Can see a few shade tree repairs. original pump ect. Do most people just run all new PEX lines and call it good?

Interior. All original. Musty, foam deterioration. Just carry to upholster shop and duplicate?

Floor. Looks like Carpet may have been added shortly after new or may be original. Gotta go either way. No soft spots in living area or bath area but some repair needed underneath toilet battery area.

Exterior. Good shape all original windows latches ect. Small dent on bottom right front corner bottom pan though so you can barely notice. Needs cleaning, polish and TLC.

All cabinets, counters, 3 piece table, tubs, latches, still work. One set of curtains still there the rest were swapped for blinds. Tracks are still there.

Would appreciate all comments good and bad and any direction from you guys with experience.

Not sure why all pics did not upload....
The very FIRST major project is to make sure the trailer is water proof.

Check all the exterior gaskets, access doors, windows and entrance door.

Check for missing rivets as well.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:37 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Madison , Wisconsin
I am currently getting my '66 Safari ready for the summer. First thing I did was buy a new axle from Andy!

Removed old curtains and original upholstery. The curtains are being made now and the upholster has ordered new foam and will use the old covers as patterns.

Also removed the asbestos floor which weighed 100 lbs. ( Wore a Tyvek suit and respirator.) The new vinyl flooring will weigh 60 lbs.

Just a few little things to fix on the interior and much cleaning, will get me into the woods this summer. The exterior will be late fall. This is my second Airstream and I bought a much better specimen this time around!
TDOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:58 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
1968 24' Tradewind
Alexander , Arkansas
Thanks for the responses. Lots of good comments. I removed the tiles then read the manual that said ASBESTOS!!!!! Without the mask and tyvek suit. At least they popped up without coming apart too bad. On to the inverter.
Endl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endl View Post
Thanks for the responses. Lots of good comments. I removed the tiles then read the manual that said ASBESTOS!!!!! Without the mask and tyvek suit. At least they popped up without coming apart too bad. On to the inverter.
Your Airstream was originally equipped with a "converter".

A converter changes city power to DC battery voltage.

A inverter changes DC battery voltage to city AC voltage.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:41 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Madison , Wisconsin
Any chance you could post pictures of the manuals from your Safari?

Thanks!
Old 09-02-2014, 09:57 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Kennewick , Washington
What specifically? It's big!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
KennewickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:40 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Madison , Wisconsin
Individual pamphlets on appliances, stove, fridge, water heater, and furnace, would be great. I do have the original owner's manual.

Thanks, Karen
Old 10-07-2014, 02:32 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
1967 22' Safari
1969 18' Caravel
Palo Alto , California
Take a look at our 1967 Safari renovation. It's not done yet but getting close.

theweetinker.blogspot.com
markdenise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1966, 1966 safari