Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1960 - 1965 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #1
Rivet Master In Training

1965 22' Safari
Mount Airy , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Kevo Send a message via MSN to Kevo Send a message via Yahoo to Kevo
Project Update.....

It's been a while since my last post, thought I would open up once again for comments, suggestions, or questions.

last summer was all about getting everything "fixed" and usable. It went well and I was able to use it at our hunting club, all winter was was very comfortable.

This summer, the focus has been on the exterior. I read everything I could about polishing before I started, and on those hot days, when I could barely see to polish, and the sweat was rolling off, one particular comment kept running through my head. " Polishing is not for everybody" If I had it to do again, I would probably still do it, but I certainly underestimated the commitment involved. I still need to get the new exterior lights back on, the awning replaced and some paint on the bumpers, but this finish should at least last until im am ready for another round of Nuvite. I have also obtained a new Suburban furnace, and will soon cut fashion and rivet a new cover for where the old furnace was.

Next spring I plan to remove the interior, scrub and paint the walls and put down some new flooring, and finish up the last little bit of woodwork, and I will keep the diary going.

Tim has certainly set the bar pretty high, and his Safari has been a big inspiration for me to forge ahead. He really has an amazing camper.

You can the carnage, and progress here....

Happy Streaming !! -
Kevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Hey Kevin, I just got done looking over your pics and wow you are really making good progress. I was really lucky in that my Safari's bath room was in great shape and the only thing I had to do was replace the water pump and fix some leaks in that area. I do have some floor rot in the trunk area do to rear end separation but not enough to require a major repair job. I did move the battery from the trunk and installed 3 Lifelines up under the goucho in front of the axle. I installed a Progressive Dynamics 45 converter and ran heavy duty 4 gauge wires up to the batteries. After 2 years I am repolishing her. About 1/3 done. Much easier the second time but still a daunting job.
Notice the front of my Safari in the pic. Way too many dirt roads over the last 2 years. Thats why I have started to repolish. Best of luck with your project and keep the pics coming.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0103.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	324.5 KB
ID:	139528  

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master In Training

1965 22' Safari
Mount Airy , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Kevo Send a message via MSN to Kevo Send a message via Yahoo to Kevo
It Would Be an Honor..

Tim, I swear if you send me a High Res Pic of your camper, I will blow it up, make a poster out of it, and hang it on my wall.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Looks really nice! I see you had several "helpers". If you want to get more practice in on the polishing, you could come up to Minnesnowta and polish our trailer - it'd be cooler, ya sure, you betcha!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Kevin, sent you an email with a couple of pics.

Everyday is a Saturday
Old 09-06-2011, 04:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Lookin' good

Kevin,

With kids that cute, you had to polish.

The first cut is definitely the hardest. I did a cut a year for a couple of years after the full reno. Just getting motivated again and may actually move on to the cycle next year. Maybe.

Good job saving that one.

John
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Kevin, I just had to send you a couple more pics. I installed a total of 8 under cabinet lights plus switches. Got em from VTS. They are LED and really cool. They were easy to wire in and did not cost very much.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0133.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	319.9 KB
ID:	139531   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0136.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	320.9 KB
ID:	139532  

Name:	DSCN0139.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	317.7 KB
ID:	139533  

Everyday is a Saturday
Old 09-06-2011, 05:39 PM   #8
Rivet Master In Training

1965 22' Safari
Mount Airy , Georgia
Thanks guys, as anyone who does this knows, it is certainly nothing short than a labor of love. I never set out for a "show piece", only to have a cool camper that would serve my family well for camping and creating memories. I hope to soon be at the point where I am using it way more than I am working on it :-). Nothing would ticke me more than to have my kids want to use this to take their kids camping...
Old 09-06-2011, 09:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Hey, you're waaaay ahead of us! Ours isn't even close to usable yet! There's definitely something to be said for passing one on through the family. Our kids are adults and 2 have bought campers. Maybe some day they'll have AS too (but not ours for a long long time!). I do hope one of them will keep it when we're gone, though.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master In Training

1965 22' Safari
Mount Airy , Georgia
Kay,

How is your trailer coming along ??