Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2008, 12:47 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
down south , South Carolina
Rock Guard

How many folks have installed a Rock Guard? Is it worth the money invested? I have an awning on my fornt center window. Hate to loose it. Are there alternative to a smoked rock guard?

Thanks
Dieselgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:02 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
In years past A/S had a clear rock shield. It was replaced by the smoke colored one several years ago. Our 71 A/S came with at clear unit and after it made it made it through one hail storm and a few rocks it became so pitted we had to change it. We went with the smoke colored one and never regreted it. I believe you will have the same feeling. They are not terribly difficult to put on if your trailer has had one on before. If not it would be better to have an A/S dealer install it for you.
Good luck in your decision.
AIR # 28748
dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:16 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Rock Guard?

Greetings Dieselgrin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselgrin View Post
How many folks have installed a Rock Guard? Is it worth the money invested? I have an awning on my fornt center window. Hate to loose it. Are there alternative to a smoked rock guard?

Thanks
From your post, I take that you have one of the more recent coaches with "wing" type side windows. It is well worth protecting these wing windows -- regardless of year they are quite expensive to replace. In the case of Argosy coaches, the clear, deep-wrap wing windows are no longer available on the replacement market -- the tinted version used in Airstreams are the only replacements available. In the case of the 1969 Airstream, it is my understanding that those wing windows are no longer available except via salvage. Replacing a single wing window can easily cost more than the rockguard.

The rock guard will provide the same shading as the awning when it is opened when camped. If you happen to have one of the coaches with the deep-wrap wing windows, the center portion can have the dark tinted acrylic with clear acrylic to presrve the see-through design of the Vintage Airstream coaches.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote