Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1970 - 1973 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2005, 02:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Hello fellow '73ers

I have one of these rigs and wanted to see if we could get this forum goin a little bit more. I am looking at replacing the Univolt system with an intellipower converter very soon. Last year sucked as the previous owner had rigged up a battery charger to charge the battery that ran the 12v system...not very good. Where is the Univolt box in our rigs. Also, do we all have rear bath or were some rear bedroom?
kl8ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 02:35 PM   #2

1975 25' Tradewind
Huntington Beach , California
Welcome KL8ton!

I am a newbie here as well. There is a plethora of information in these forums. You just need to look. If you run a search on "Univolt" for example you will find that there are many threads on that alone.

I think I've read that your trailer came in a rear twin config as well as the rear bath but don't quote me. I'm sure there are many other 73' owners out there that can answer that.

-T
Torii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 03:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Talking

Welcome! I am not certain where your box is, (sorry) Mine was in the bath closet, under the false floor, yours should be close to your Fuse terminal and AC Breaker box. Recently Changed out the Univolt in our Argosy 24'
Here is a good place to look at some vintage rigs

http://www.vintageairstream.com/arch...ign/index.html

http://www.vintageairstream.com/archives/index.html

'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 04:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
KL8TON

Your univolt was hidden underneath the bath tub side wall.

Look in the rear curbside closet.

Look at the bottom of the panel that separates the closet wall from the bathroom.

At the bottom of that panel, next to the side wall, you should find a small section of plywood held in place with some screws.

Remove that panel.

That's where the original univolt on a 73-31 was located, along with all the wires.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 05:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kl8ton
I have one of these rigs and wanted to see if we could get this forum goin a little bit more. I am looking at replacing the Univolt system with an intellipower converter very soon. Last year sucked as the previous owner had rigged up a battery charger to charge the battery that ran the 12v system...not very good. Where is the Univolt box in our rigs. Also, do we all have rear bath or were some rear bedroom?
When you are ready to get your new InteliPower check out www.bestconverter.com
The site is owned by a fellow forums member. He will give you a discount if you mention that you are a forums member. He also includes the Charge Wizard with your order.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 09:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
I Guess I Qualify

Having nearly completed my '72 Overlander, I have now started on my '73 Sovereign center bath. I'm doing a little work on it right now but hope to have it ready sometime this summer.

As usual, taking longer than I'd like.

I have an Intellipower with charge wizard that I'm ready to hook up here in the next few days, so we'll see how that goes. (I'm really just putting off finishing the bathroom.) I installed the new refrig today.

My power supply (and battery box) is up forward, just aft of the door under the oven (which has been removed). So far as I can tell, the 12v electrical system is okay, as I got some lights to work when I hooked up the battery.
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:43 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
down south , South Carolina
Andy,

I have a 73 Soverign and am looking for the converter. Where you have described is a fuse panel with about 8 fuses on the bath seperator wall. Where is the plywood? How can I tell if I have a converter and if it is working.

Thanks
Earl
Dieselgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:32 PM   #8
TSHEP

1978 25' Tradewind
1973 29' Ambassador
Woodlawn , Tennessee
73er's Univolt

To all 73ers
I havd a 73, 29ft, Ambassdor that had a Univolt under the stove and it was just above the battery box. I removed the Univolt and install an Intelipower 9200 and new fuse box. I installed a 50amp fuse one each postive and negitave cable from battery to IPC and a 30 amp fuse between each postive lead to the fuse box. Maybe this was overkill, but it worked.
I hope I upload the pics of the old Univolt and the Intelipower 9200.
TShep
Middle Tennessee
TShepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Greetings fellow 73er

I don't know where the univolt is on a S.O.Y. ( some other year ) . But mine was tucked in next to the bathroom closet.
Anyway my reason for posting was to mention that there is a good chance that you won't find it. Why would the previous owner leave a broken or obsolete charger in the trailer. I had an Iota charger put in my trailer. The dealer said that Iota gave better customer service than a S.O.C. ( some other charger) Dave
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:11 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Morristown , Tennessee
I'm happy to be in the club with my '73 31' Excella. My Univolt is up front under the range in this rear bedroom, side bath trailer. I am wanting to replace the Univolt but not to brave about getting into the rewiring. I would really appreciate some pictures of this project.

I'm thinking of waiting so that I can incorporate some solar panels to recharge when boondocking and keep the batteries healthy.

Anyway, I love the seventies vintage trailers.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:52 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Lexington , South Carolina
HI, as Andy stated the uni-volt is in the back curb side closet on the right bottom with the fuse box in the 73 31' Sovereign. Nice job Andy. You are right.

Two Blades
chief5725 is offline   Reply With Quote