Old 11-27-2013, 06:18 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
DeFuniak Springs , Florida
Talking 58 Year Old Rookie... Elec. Specs. and Advice

I am a 2 week old rookie looking to get started. I have ordered a manual, but can't wait to get started. Would anyone mind sending me a copy of the electrical specifications for a 73' 31ft center bath. I have so many ideas but I have to control myself before jumping in. Also, a step by step general list from beginning to end would be appreciated (you might say, the chapters of my adventure). Thanks Dwight

Old 11-27-2013, 07:36 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Obrien , Florida
Hey Dwight, my step by step list consisted of only two steps; 1. Stop all leaks. 2. Fix everything else...

I'm sure somebody will come up with one right after I post this, but a step by step is really going to depend on your trailer, and how much you're wanting to do. Full Monty, frame off resto, or just fix what's broke and go camping. My starting point was fix leaks first because they were the source of the majority of my repair, rotted frame/floor. After that, things just kind of lined themselves up by systems... In removing the floor, I had to remove the water heater, which had to be replaced, which pointed me to the plumbing that had multiple splits in it, so I replaced all the water lines, when I got those replaced and ran some water into the shower, it all ran into the belly pan, so I took the rest of the belly pan off to see what was up, and the shower trap wasn't connected, so when I got that hooked up and ran water into the gray tank, it continuously flowed on out the drain, so I replaced the valves, which allowed the gray tank to start filling, which showed a crack in the gray tank drain neck... At least the electric system hasn't shorted and burned the trailer to the dirt, but I'm sure that's coming.

All of those were part of a floor/frame repair. It's a much more extensive list than that, but you get the idea.

Best to you on your refurb. I've enjoyed the time I've spent on mine, and all the advice and knowledge I've received from forum members.

Quite a few people have done all this before, and they've documented their work very well on this forum. Some of us are quick and dirty, trying to get the thing campable, while others are making masterpieces. Find your favorite, and copy what they're doing, with a personal flair, naturally...

-Red

Old 11-27-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
1974 31' Sovereign
Adair , Oklahoma
Like Red says, a lot has to do with your trailer's condition and what you want to do with it. If you know you are going to do the full Monty, then your path is much simpler. On the other hand, if you want to make it usable with reasonable cost, then you should develop a plan of action. I bought a 31' Sovereign in January and just finished it this month. I'm retired so I could work on it at will. Here are my suggestions from my experience. By the way, Panama Red's thread was invaluable in my experience. Particularly his Vistas 101 part of his thread.

In addition to finding and fixing other leaks, if the gaskets on your vents on the roof for your sewer haven't been replaced in the past 3-4 years, they probably need it. They are a big source of leaks and floor rot.
If you haven't already done so, check your floor out thoroughly. An AS this old will probably have some floor rot and if you don't check it out first, then you can invest a lot of money and time only to find out you have big floor problems. Check threads on here for info concerning rear end separation and rear end droop. They can both be big expensive problems.
Another very important item is to check your axles to make sure they don't need replacing. An AS this old will need new axles if they haven't been replaced in the recent past. Threads on here will help you determine if you need them and where to get them.
Floor rot and axle replacement are the big items you need to know about before you invest too much time and money because they are essential items in a successful rehabilitation of an AS in my opinion.