Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1970 - 1973 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2014, 10:48 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Lake Minnetonka , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM66caravel View Post
If the c channel in the picture is what you are talking about replacing then repair it with a piece of aluminum in the bottom of the channel because it actually looks really good so to speak! Once you have removed the buck rivets for that section it will be easy to remove and repair as for the valve call top and ask or go to 62overlander and ask frank you can go to his blog site and get his phone number.
Cliff

Yes I said that! Or did I?

Haha nice, after starring at those C channels tonight, and getting a second opinion, I think I can make them work. I may have a friend weld a support on the top side. I made some progress tonight! She gone, and the rusted tank supports were not nearly as bad as I thought, but I will have to make a new enclosure for the tank out of aluminum.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
bakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 03:11 PM   #22

2001 23' Safari
anoka , Minnesota
Hi Bakes

I see you have decided to sell your 71 to Robert in Paradise Texas. He is looking for a transporter to bring the trailer to him. I live in Anoka and have a truck(3/4 ton Dodge Cummins) heading for Texas in the next few days. 100 percent positive feedback on Uship,would you please give him my phone number? 763-767-8464. Regards, Tyler Anderson
2469ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:15 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2469ty View Post
I see you have decided to sell your 71 to Robert in Paradise Texas. He is looking for a transporter to bring the trailer to him. I live in Anoka and have a truck(3/4 ton Dodge Cummins) heading for Texas in the next few days. 100 percent positive feedback on Uship,would you please give him my phone number? 763-767-8464. Regards, Tyler Anderson

I have no idea what your talking about. She's all put back together. I packed her up and moved across the country. I'll post some updates later this evening.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:41 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Wow, you work fast! Must be the approaching winter motivating you! I look forward to your updates when you get a chance.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:42 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
hey eeerrrrybody, its been awhile since i updated the thread. Here is my original hit list. knocked down almost everything right before my moved to GA this past July, now its to the tasks that are a plus.

1. Rear end separation- Completed last june. Much more difficult process than i anticipated. Used 3/4 12 ply marine plywood I don't recall the sealant i used. I thought I took more photo's but I checked my computer and I failed

2. Grey tanks and waste drain- reblumbed with updated valves(did not add grey tank) I concluded that it was not cost effective for the way i'll be using the airstream.
3. New Flooring- bathroom is white linoleum

4. Window seals and Gaskets- all done, the door is redone and still leaks- TBD

5. Paint- Interior is 80% done
6. Countertops- went w a nice laminate on 3/4 ply. pictures to follow

7. Axles (ordered, starting angle 32 Deg.) Axles installed prior to my 1900 mile trip from MN to GA, zero issues and she pulled amazing with a 13 Silverado 1500

8. Install new 45 amp converter- Installed the converter before the trip down, works great
9. Troubleshoot refrigerator- scraped the original and went with a new Domitec

10. Troubleshoot Central Control panel- worked out the wiring in the back of the panel, so far so good, totally irrelevant being in an RV park

Long term goals
1. Spit shine all 31'- started The Shining- exactly as the movie, terrifying.

2. Reface all existing veneer/laminate cabinets- decided to pain over, looks ok, unless its spray painted it doesn't look that great up close

3. Solar panels with Invert.- may scrap this idea for this trailer

4. Pex Plumbing- all new lex plumbing went in prior to reassembly of the rear end, really paid off, organized and efficient

5. Front window rock guards- to be completed

6. Fix existing awning- haven't pieced it together yet

7. New AC- original worked fine in the middle of GA summer- if any issues come around i'll buy a new one

8. Find Original Bumper- new bumper installed prior to the trip

Floor all back in with the bathroom reassembled, and painted.

Kitchen counter

New fridge (still need to fill the gap with insulation showing)

Front all put back together and painted

The Shining commences
I started on the door side, with Nuvite products and wool bonnets. Lesson learned- the heavy oxidation was too much work. It took entirely too long to do the one side. So i ordered Jestco products. I have learned my lesson. Jestco is the way to go, way more time efficient, easier to polish, and all around much better shine. I have only used the grey bar so far and its turn out amazing, i'm very excited for the pink bar then doing a trial run with the Metal Armor vs Nuvite S.

Curb side with Nuvite F9 and wool bonnet

Street side with Jestco

Door after Jestco

The front is going to need some serious TLC. I have horrible pitting. I'll post some more pictures soon

So overall its been quite the learning process, but the next project will be much easier knowing what i know now. I have made the following improvements.

New Axles (Dexter)
New LP gas regulator and lines
Electric/ Gas water heater
Pex Plumbing
Water pump
Dometic Fridge
Sealand Toilet
Water intake
Fusion 30amp inlet
Progressive Dynamics 45 amp converter
Window and door seals and screens
Replaced black tank pan and replumbed with valterra
Seams sealed with Vulkem
Bumper replaced
Rear Floor with 3/4 Marine plywood

Still need to complete
Painting Interior white
Front Dinette
Edge countertop
AC hood
Awning
Blue trim on exterior
Old 01-12-2015, 07:29 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Nice job Bakes. I have found the Jestco buffer faster at "grinding" off the oxidation too. I'm still in the throws of the first pass. I've got about 25 hours in the top third of my Trade Wind.

Your money pit project items completed looks similar to my Trade Wind list. Did you find any rear frame rail bending or buckling. I understand some of the rear end separation on 70s long trailers was due to thinner steel used in the frame rails from the axles back. My Trade Wind has 3/16" thick by 5" by 1 1/2 inch frame rails. Did you happen to get the thickness of the metal in the rear frame rails while you were under there? Just curious.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote