Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2008, 03:16 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Horton Bay , Michigan
The Adventure Begins 1970 31'

Well, I gutted my trailer ( 1970 31' Sovereign ) to find that there was floor and frame rot in the rear end, suprise suprise! I started to remove panels and banana wrap to remove the rotten flooring. Debating whether to do the full monte frame off or get by with just replacing the last peice of flooring.

Seems like I will have to remove all the belly wrap (I want to POR15 the frame and drop the fresh water tank) and remove half of the bottom interoir skins just to replace the rotten floor... hmmm might just do the full monte, keep finding signs of mice.......

Also started prepping the old bathroom fixtures for a coat of Interlux Brightside Polyurathane Paint. So far no surpises there. Good Rainy Day project.

Going to try welding a crack I found on the black tank. It is right where the threads stop on the tank. I have a friend who can do it, at least he says so .

My end goal is the following:
1. Make structuraly sound
2. Update Converter, Water Pump, Hot Water Heater
3. Replumb with Pex
4. Recoat bathroom
5. Build 2 sets of bunks, like PizzaChop's trailer
6. Linoleom Floor
7. New Kitchen / reuse cooktop
8. U-Shaped Dinette / Convert to bed.
9. Shiney Kewl Outside
10. New Hitch and Axles
11. New Awning
12. If there is any money left a new airconditioner

Here is a link with pics of how I found her.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...all-40377.html

Here are some pics, I'll log the process here on this thread.

Thanks,
Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FrontTearOut.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	63367   Click image for larger version

Name:	RearTearOut.JPG
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	63368  

Name:	BlackTank.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	63369   Click image for larger version

Name:	Frame.JPG
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	63370  

UpNorthAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:30 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Welcome to the 1970 club! You have gotten a lot accomplished since your member introduction. Looks like you are well on your way. I just finished the floor in mine so if you have any questions I might be able to answer them while it is fresh on my mind. Then when you pass me up I can ask the questions.
vhord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:31 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Pittsford , Michigan
Good luck Joe, I got a 1972 a few months back and look forward to learning from your efforts.
thanks, Bill
Airdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:08 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Horton Bay , Michigan
The Mouse Subdivision

Wow! Started taking off some off the interior skins in the lower rear and found what looks like a mouse housing subdivision! I am for sure going to take all the inside skins off and replace all the insulation. Good news is I have a bunch of the double bubble foil insulation left over from building my house. I used it for insulating my in floor heat system. Hopefully it we be enough to do the trailer.

I also got the old univolt disconnected and the wires marked. I have to say, Airstream did not "chince" on the wiring of these things. The new converter should go in the same place so the electrical won't need much alteration.

Taking down the belly pan is one dirty and dangerous job. Lots of sharp objects under there plus the mice condo units .

I just go two more jack stands from a friend, so I'm going to jack the trailer up and put it on jack stands to get more room underneath for working. Then I will continue with the interior skin and belly pan removal.

Laters,
Joe

BTW got a lead on a 1973 that a tree fell on that was in great shape..... already thinking about the next project
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mice1.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	63447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mice2.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	63448  

Name:	Wiring.jpg