Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1970 - 1973 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2011, 10:10 AM   #1
The Mouse House

1972 31' Sovereign
Marietta , Georgia
Sorta Newbie Introduction

Hi, we're long time campers but new to Airstreams. In April '11 I took over my dad's '72 Sovereign for a seasonal site in Whittier, NC. We spent this summer dealing with mouse nests (dad had it for 12 years but never used it), water leaks, A/C issues, etc... I'm mechanical and can handle reasonable repairs.

I spent this last Sat. AM cleaning the mouse nests out of the furnace (NT32A). After that and attempting to get the furnace to work I've concluded that it's a POS and needs to be replaced. I've looked at the furnace replacement threads but would appreciate any current input.

I'd love a wiring diagram of the 12V stuff. I'm trying to find a place to wire in a propane detector.

Any suggestions for audio replacements? I don't know what to do w/the 8 track player ;-)

Anyone done anything interesting remodeling the bed area? Even after 31 years, we like to sleep together. The curb side bed will slide out 8 or so inches and my current plan is to make a filler so we can do that.

Thanks, and glad to be on the forum!
Dave
dxlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:24 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2011 16' Sport
Tofino , British Columbia
I've got no experience with remodels but wanted to say welcome
That's so awesome it still has an 8 track! I still miss the sound of the click between sides...reminds me of some of my first family road trips.

Lisa
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:34 AM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Service manuals are available for $65 from Airstream and they begin '72 so you're in luck there. Of course these are handmade trailers so there's some variation between units and we must deal with the differences, the service manual isn't 100% definitive. I have a '75 Airstream service manual for my Argosy, and while Argosy trailers aren't specifically included, there's more than enough useful applicable info to make it worth having IMHO.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:40 AM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Re: Audio upgrades: Since it's really just generic 12V automotive audio equipment, you're in luck! It's nearly the only thing on an Airstream that's not more expensive than "normal" stuff. My Argosy didn't come with anything installed, so I haven't seen the speakers first-hand but I'm guessing they used a standard-sized automotive driver and you can get newer/better replacements from a car audio vendor.

One thing to keep in mind when installing a modern head unit in a '72 trailer is the fact that new head units typically have a full-time current draw for remembering the station settings and such. Unless it's been added later, your '72 won't have a "store/use" switch for the batteries, so left unattended the radio will eventually run down the batteries unless you have it on a battery-minder or put in some sort of disconnect. The propane detector you're looking to install will have a small constant drain on the batteries as well, so a master disconnect for storage might be a good thing to add.

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 10-26-2011, 10:41 AM   #5
The Mouse House

1972 31' Sovereign
Marietta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Service manuals are available for $65 from Airstream and they begin '72 so you're in luck there..
That's great! I realized I pass within a couple of miles of the Airstream facility in Ohio on my trips from GA to Michigan.

Never knew there was a Service Manual - the Owner's Manual is kind of lame..
DL
Old 10-26-2011, 10:44 AM   #6
The Mouse House

1972 31' Sovereign
Marietta , Georgia
Quote:
Re: Audio upgrades: Since it's really just generic 12V automotive audio equipment, you're in luck! It's nearly the only thing on an Airstream that's not more expensive than "normal" stuff. My Argosy didn't come with anything installed, so I haven't seen the speakers first-hand but I'm guessing they used a standard-sized automotive driver and you can get newer/better replacements from a car audio vendor.

One thing to keep in mind when installing a modern head unit in a '72 trailer is the fact that new head units typically have a full-time current draw for remembering the station settings and such. Unless it's been added later, your '72 won't have a "store/use" switch for the batteries, so left unattended the radio will eventually run down the batteries unless you have it on a battery-minder or put in some sort of disconnect. The propane detector you're looking to install will have a small constant drain on the batteries as well, so a master disconnect for storage might be a good thing to add.
I was planning to just take the battery out for the winter (we won't be using the coach until April). Thanks for your other advice. Audio will be a next year thing..
DL
Old 10-26-2011, 11:01 AM   #7
The Mouse House

1972 31' Sovereign
Marietta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxlyj View Post
Hi, we're long time campers but new to Airstreams. In April '11 I took over my dad's '72 Sovereign for a seasonal site in Whittier, NC. We spent this summer dealing with mouse nests (dad had it for 12 years but never used it), water leaks, A/C issues, etc... I'm mechanical and can handle reasonable repairs.
Thank you for the welcome! I suspect I'll be a regular here on both sides (questions/answers).

My coach had awnings over the front/back/driver side windows. I don't know if these were factory or after market. I can deal w/the fabric but the hardware is in pretty rough shape. Anybody?
DL
Old 10-26-2011, 12:00 PM   #8

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Re: awnings: If the hardware says "ZipDee" on it, you can pretty much get anything you need new from ZipDee, they have an excellent reputation for service.

If you have A&E/Carefree of Colorado parts (like mine) then support and service for old stuff is not as easily had.

If no identifying marks are apparent, ZipDee arms for the main awning are slender and will have 2 fairly straight sections (long section at the bottom, short section at the top) with one distinct bend, and a rounded "head" on the arm where the roller for the awning attaches. A&E main arms are wider, and have a curve toward the end with the awning roller rather than a bend.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Welcome! It sounds like you have a rear bath model.

Got any pictures to post?
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:13 PM   #10
The Mouse House

1972 31' Sovereign
Marietta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
Welcome! It sounds like you have a rear bath model.

Got any pictures to post?
Yes, it is a rear bath. Replacing the faucet and trying to divine the logic behind the bath/shower door (plus use of the other essential plumbing) has been the extent of my involvement in that area of the coach so far (also removing mouse nests).

Pictures will come. I think it's pretty original (even the stuff that makes me scratch my head and wonder "Why???" i.e. shower door).
DL
Old 10-26-2011, 10:20 PM   #11
The Mouse House

1972 31' Sovereign
Marietta , Georgia
Quote:
Re: awnings: If the hardware says "ZipDee" on it, you can pretty much get anything you need new from ZipDee, they have an excellent reputation for service.

If you have A&E/Carefree of Colorado parts (like mine) then support and service for old stuff is not as easily had.

If no identifying marks are apparent, ZipDee arms for the main awning are slender and will have 2 fairly straight sections (long section at the bottom, short section at the top) with one distinct bend, and a rounded "head" on the arm where the roller for the awning attaches. A&E main arms are wider, and have a curve toward the end with the awning roller rather than a bend.
The main awning is an A&E unit. It seems flimsy (compared to the A&E on my '02 Starcraft) but works well enough for now. My coach had awnings over the front/rear and driver side windows too. I haven't found any mfg. info on them and don't know if they're factory or were added along the road. For what it's worth, the colors on the window awnings (white/yellow stripes) match the main awning.
DL
Old 10-27-2011, 04:10 AM   #12
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Welcome to the forums! Hope your mouse house becomes the trailer of your dreams!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote