Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1970 - 1973 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Pay someone with knowledge in the particular vintage to do a complete inspection. Then you'll know and the seller may get "Real". Good luck.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
robmed - you were on the right track trying to find the value of that specific trailer in advance. People who don't do their homework before buying LOSE 99% of the time!

If I am shopping for something, I'll print off ads for as many similar units as possible to figure out what are reasonable asking prices. If I am interested, and the seller is stubborn and doesn't want to throw the first pitch, I go back to my vehicle and get the three ads with the LOWEST prices to show the seller and let the seller know that these are only "asking" prices, and likely don't accurately reflect selling prices.

The expression on their face at that point usually tells you if they are anywhere near realistic or not. If they act insulted I just smile and walk away - happy to have burst their little "greed bubble". If a seller refuses to give you any hint of their asking price, they are being unreasonable and certainly can't fault you for a "lowball" offer!

Education + patience will get you a great trailer!

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:16 PM   #23
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
One of the most powerful tools in negotiating is silence.

It's based on the fact that the majority of people HATE a pause (silence) in a conversation, and they hate it WORSE if that conversation is a negotiation.

Here's an example: buyer says, "Is that your best price?" Smart seller says nothing. Buyer will not last to ten seconds before opening his or her mouth, which takes the pressure away from the seller.

Ten seconds doesn't seem like much, but try counting it to yourself, thinking of that situation.

Now, try that situation again: buyer says "Is that your best price?" Smart seller says nothing. Nor does the smart buyer. Ten seconds tick off, now the buyer gets antsie at the silence, and says... "Well, I guess I could take a thousand off it."

Smart buyer still says nothing. Seller is now experiencing heavy pressure, and he's the only one that has said anything in a while here...

Try it out, you will find it is one of the easiest ways to negotiate that there is: say nothing.

And the funny part is that it's actually very easy to do!
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Try it out, you will find it is one of the easiest ways to negotiate that there is: say nothing.

And the funny part is that it's actually very easy to do!
Perhaps the greatest single piece of advice posted on this forum to date!

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:58 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1981 22' Excella II
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Colbert , Georgia
Useful Tool Often Not Used

After you have done your homework on the item you are about to make an offer and you have a good idea of what the item is really worth....take your time and walk around either (trailer, car, etc.) and just touch with your finger any and all dents, scratches, rust, window gaskets, what ever you deem a blemish....and remember not to say anything.....for sure, the seller sees every move you made and in his mind knows the overpriced item is being lowered with every touch......then tell him you are going to make a one time offer and make it....don't force the seller to give his bottom dollar/lowest price because you have put him in a corner with that question....he might want to take a lower price than he was asked to quote, and if he does, he wasn't truthful with his quote.
And always remember....the final fair market value is when Both the seller and purchaser feels like they got the shaft....but they still made the deal.

Best Regards,
Levon
Levon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Hugely Generous Offer From Chris...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Rob send me a private message with a contact number and I would be willing to inspect the trailer with you. .
Take him up on it!

The red flags are really going up on this one.
'72 Sovereigns are widely available and not highly sought after.
There is no such thing as a '72 in excellent, original condition unless it has been hermetically sealed for 40 years.
An honest seller will know what he thinks it is worth and name a price.
There are plenty of excellent comments in the preceding posts how to deal with this seller.
- Take Chris with you
- Take a comprehensive checklist.
- Have Chris announce all the defects in a loud voice as he discovers them.
- Price the cost of dealing with each defect.
- Then offer what it is worth.
- Be willing to walk away.

Remember, with a '72 Sovereign in "original" condition, you will likely face:
- Frame separation
- Floor rot
- Non-functioning AC
- Non-functioning refer
- Non-functioning Univolt converter
- Non-legal propane tanks
- No gray water holding tank
- Worn out axles
- Worn out tires (more than 5 years old must be replaced)
- Leaky roof vents.
- Non-functional furnace

Cheers and happy hunting.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classifieds, price