Old 08-02-2014, 08:19 PM   #721
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
That middle vent is like a 5th wheel. I still have my original TV antenna and you can't open the vent with the antenna down. I never use that vent.

Perry

perryg114 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:35 AM   #722
3 Rivet Member

Attachment 218074
Bought a blue scare light lens from VTS after seeing another Airstream with one installed. Also bought a LED bulb for the scare light. Still provides plenty of light without being a bright white glare. Plus, blue lights are cool... :

Chris[/QUOTE]

Ha! I'll show Andy - he'll get a kick out of inspiring on of your many many awesome updates!!
:-)

samyjam14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:00 AM   #723
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Hi Chris,

Heck, I figured you downloaded a big IGIS file of the map of Minnesota to you CNC mill and generated the MN state emblem! It probably has lake Mil Lacs on it. No wait, sure, you used your CNC water jet instead so you wouldn't have any burrs to remove. I'm just kidding. But Kay did say in a much earlier post that good cabinet making comes from good equipment.

I am impressed with your rigging under the bandsaw to get this thin aluminum emblem made. There are some pretty sharp radii on it for a bandsaw!

I'm going to explore a "travel latch" for my street side awing. I like your idea of capturing the cover to a hook on the skins. The only trouble is me pulling like crazy on the strap and trying to figure out why the awning won't come down! Or me forgetting to latch it and having it billow out in a strong crosswind again! Humans are always messing up.

David
We saw a water jet cutting all sorts of materials at the Winnebago Factory tour we took earlier this year (part of the Spring Rally). Kay saw the look in my eyes and said no... Not that I would have room or power for that monster of a machine. Falls into the same category as the caboose I wanted to buy 4 years ago.

The travel latch is a standard item from Zip Dee. Far from my idea.
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:04 AM   #724
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyjam14 View Post
Ha! I'll show Andy - he'll get a kick out of inspiring on of your many many awesome updates!!
:-)
It was just too cool to pass up!
Old 08-04-2014, 11:35 AM   #725
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
David,
We had our patio awning billow out like that on I70 this spring on our way to VTA in a high wind (that we shouldn't have been traveling in! Live and learn.) Even though the awning was properly latched, it happened, probably because we weren't tensioned high enough and the wind was "just right". We corrected that problem while we were at VTA, but still installed a second latch when we got home for peace of mind. It's scary!

Kay
Old 08-05-2014, 06:42 AM   #726
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Well, your new latch certainly looks positive and I should think it would secure the awning in any kind of wind. I plan to get one for my street side awning which has no latches, just spring tension to hold it in and under the cover.

But most importantly, I'm not towing in high winds anymore. I think when gusts get over 35 mph I'm going to pull off the road. My ProPride hitch keeps the trailer from swaying. But I see semi drivers and motor homes really struggling to combat the "lean" from high cross winds, especially when passing me!

By the way, I think a caboose would be way cool.

Off topic, back to Little Girl renovation! What's the next project?

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:11 AM   #727
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Next projects: Paint the roof white and install the window awning which is supposed to be delivered this afternoon.

Chris
Old 08-05-2014, 10:45 AM   #728
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
I'm interested in following your progress. I'm contemplating painting my 86 roof white like the new Airstreams. I think it would keep it cooler in there. And I need to install Zip Dee awning on my 66. I wonder if I can do that myself. Hope so.

David
Old 08-05-2014, 11:41 AM   #729
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We'll post progress pictures for you. Probably work on both projects this weekend.

Chris
Old 08-07-2014, 08:13 PM   #730
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Sunny day, so I took some time out of my work day and applied the roof coating. We selected the Dicor Metal RV Roof Coating (available at Camping World), and tried it out on a scrap piece of aluminum before we applied it to the trailer. We painted the scrape piece of aluminum and left it sitting outside for a couple of months to see if it would run or streak. It didn't run at all, so we felt safe putting it on the trailer.

I masked off the center roof panel this morning, and applied the coating with a foam roller, cutting in with a brush were needed. Took about an hour to apply each coat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0807 roof coating 01.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	218549
This is the roof after the first coat.

Name:	0807 roof coating 02.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	218550
Second coat applied, 2 hours after first coat.

While applying the second coat, I could already tell the difference in the heat build-up on the roof. I was able to set my hand down on the white coating without burning the palm of my hand. My application method for the second coat was to do about 2 linear feet, and then go back and put a 3rd coat on immediately. This let me do a much thicker second coat than I did for the first coat. It evened out the color much more then going over it all just one time for the second coat.

After the second coat dried, the heat difference was even better. And this was after the trailer had been sitting in full sun all day long. The bare aluminum parts of the roof were too hot to touch, but the white coated part, while not cool to the touch, were cool enough you could place your hand on it and not feel like it's getting burned immediately.

Hopefully we'll notice a difference inside on our up-coming trip and we can report back.

We also did some prep work for installing the window awning.

Name:	0807 window awning install prep 01.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	314.7 KB
ID:	218551
All the green tape pieces below the vista views and around the side marker light have marks on them 16 inches down from the center roof panel edge. This will mount the awning rail 4 7/8" above the highest side window.

Funny thing on the three side windows that I never noticed before. They are not installed at exactly at the same height! There's a good 1/4" difference between the highest side window and the lowest one. The second window from the front is the highest one, and the rear side window (not in the picture) is the lowest. The vista view windows are not exactly the same height either.

Name:	0807 window awning install prep 02.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	218552
Close up of the side marker light and the tape with the lines for the awning rail. The top of the awning rail will line up with the top lines on each piece of tape. This will put the awning directly over the marker light, so it needs to move...

Name:	0807 window awning install prep 03.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	218554
This evening, I removed the marker light, and extended the wires down inside the shell. We're going to mount the marker light below the awning after we get the awning installed, as we want to make sure the awning will clear the marker light when we unroll it. I used flat headed closed-end pop rivets rather than Olympic rivets for the patch since it will be directly under the awning when it's rolled up.

The tape is black because I was experimenting with polish. I want to polish under the awning before we install it. Figured it would be easier to polish that area now.

The longer piece of green tape is to remind me where the wires are located behind the shell. The circle is how far down I pushed the loop of wires with a coat hanger. That gives me about 7 inches of vertical height to play with when I install the marker light again.

Chris
Old 08-07-2014, 08:37 PM   #731
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Looks fantastic Chris and Kay! So much great work and craftsmanship!
arktos55343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:34 AM   #732
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Thanks for sharing your material selection and process for painting the roof white. I would never have thought to test the material first! Excellent idea. It is interesting that you could tell a difference in exterior skin temp right away. We were in Estes Park three years ago in the hot sun. The skin temp on our 86 was about 135 degrees. The AC was struggling to keep in interior temp below 85. This day made me think white roofs make a lot of sense.

Let us know if you notice a reduction in "heat load" inside Little Girl now that she has a white "hat".

David
Old 08-08-2014, 04:39 PM   #733
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Woo Hoo!!! Took us 6 years, but we topped 100,000 views today!

Thanks to everyone that follows us. It's still humbling that so many of you do.

Chris & Kay
Old 08-08-2014, 05:16 PM   #734
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Congrats you have inspired many of us and it looks as good in real and you guys are as nice in person as you are on the forums. ;o)

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:31 PM   #735
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
It was just too cool to pass up!

Ours is not yet hooked up, so I think that yours wins on the coolness meter :-)
Old 08-08-2014, 08:32 PM   #736
3 Rivet Member

Quote:

Chris & Kay

Yay!!! :-)
Old 08-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #737
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
curious to know how many gallons it took to coat your roof.
thanks for all the info.

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:40 PM   #738
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
If you have not installed the awning rail, I would suggest making it a little high in the center so water won't pool in the center like mine does. It looks like a tight fit between the vista views. For some reason, the center of my awning is slightly lower than the ends. The makes water seep under the awning cover and keeps the awning soaked. I expect it would do this to some extent anyway but it being low in the center makes it worse. I think the AC unit and people getting on the roof has caused the hoops to bow a little making it a little lower in the center.

Congrats on your 6000 views.

Perry
perryg114 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 02:45 PM   #739
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
It took about 1/2 or so of a gallon to do the roof, Chris said.
Rats, we just installed the awning rail this morning, Perry! We made sure it's level. Hopefully we won't have the problems you have. We'll let you know.....

Kay
Old 08-09-2014, 03:32 PM   #740
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Jackson , Tennessee
Quote:

Chris & Kay
I figured I'd have clicked on your thread 100,000 times myself! Thanks so much for all we've learned here.

Alan and Leigh Anne

TennTex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1972 sovereign