Old 04-15-2012, 05:31 PM   #321
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
One of the things that has bothered me is the slot in the stair outriggers. While necessary in order for the stairs to work, it seems like itís a great place to let small critters and mice into the belly pan area.

We took the old stairs off last weekend, and after close inspection of the stairs and outriggers, we ordered new ones. They arrived late last week. Since it was rainy today, I thought Iíd spend some time and see what I could come up with to stop mice from using the slots as an entrance. Hereís what I came up with.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0415 outrig covers 02.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	447.3 KB
ID:	155858 Click image for larger version

Name:	0415 outrig covers 03.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	334.1 KB
ID:	155859
Made out of galvanized sheet metal. Riveted in 4 places to hold it together.

Name:	0415 outrig covers 01.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	428.0 KB
ID:	155860Click image for larger version

Name:	0415 outrig covers 04.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	413.7 KB
ID:	155861
I made two of them, one for each stair outrigger.

Certainly not watertight, but that wasnít my intention. I just want to keep the mice out of the underbelly, not trap water against the outriggers. My hope is to pop-rivet them to the outriggers, but Iíll have to get the outriggers and stairs installed to make sure any rivets do not interfere with the operation of the stairs.

Chris

Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:21 PM   #322

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno
One of the things that has bothered me is the slot in the stair outriggers. While necessary in order for the stairs to work, it seems like it’s a great place to let small critters and mice into the belly pan area.

We took the old stairs off last weekend, and after close inspection of the stairs and outriggers, we ordered new ones. They arrived late last week. Since it was rainy today, I thought I’d spend some time and see what I could come up with to stop mice from using the slots as an entrance. Here’s what I came up with.

Certainly not watertight, but that wasn’t my intention. I just want to keep the mice out of the underbelly, not trap water against the outriggers. My hope is to pop-rivet them to the outriggers, but I’ll have to get the outriggers and stairs installed to make sure any rivets do not interfere with the operation of the stairs.

Chris
Great idea Chris. Looks good.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:07 AM   #323
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
One of the things that has bothered me is the slot in the stair outriggers. While necessary in order for the stairs to work, it seems like itís a great place to let small critters and mice into the belly pan area.

We took the old stairs off last weekend, and after close inspection of the stairs and outriggers, we ordered new ones. They arrived late last week. Since it was rainy today, I thought Iíd spend some time and see what I could come up with to stop mice from using the slots as an entrance. Hereís what I came up with.

Attachment 155858 Attachment 155859

Attachment 155860Attachment 155861

Certainly not watertight, but that wasnít my intention. I just want to keep the mice out of the underbelly, not trap water against the outriggers. My hope is to pop-rivet them to the outriggers, but Iíll have to get the outriggers and stairs installed to make sure any rivets do not interfere with the operation of the stairs.

Chris
put me down for 2!! It keeps snakes out too, right?
Bauxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:46 AM   #324
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Nice work!
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #325
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Columbus , Ohio
Chris, I was thinking that it may be a challenge to keep crud from building up inside of those boxes. Maybe a screen fuzzy on each side of the track would help keep crud out of your new step glide box.

You may want to get a patent on it, someone over at AS R&D may rip off your idea.

Screen Fuzzy Link: http://www.inlandrv.com/catalog/prod...96538088ea879b
Bauxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #326
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Quote:

Attachment 155858 Attachment 155859

Attachment 155860Attachment 155861

Chris
Chris, could you please provide some additional explanation? I understand your desire to keep out the mice, but I do not understand how your sheet metal operates (and how it fits together with the outriggers. I have a 56 Flying Cloud that may have the same issue regarding rodents, and I would like to understand what you did.

Thanks for your great thread.

Hank
RankAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #327
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
Now you tell me. I just sealed up my belly pan last week and had the same thought, how do I seal up those stair track holes.....
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:31 PM   #328
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddstech View Post
Now you tell me. I just sealed up my belly pan last week and had the same thought, how do I seal up those stair track holes.....
Sorry... but you should only have to drill out a couple hundred rivets to get access to the hidden sides of the stair outriggers. Easy-peasy!
Old 04-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #329
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjlairf View Post
Chris, could you please provide some additional explanation? I understand your desire to keep out the mice, but I do not understand how your sheet metal operates (and how it fits together with the outriggers. I have a 56 Flying Cloud that may have the same issue regarding rodents, and I would like to understand what you did.

Thanks for your great thread.

Hank
Hey Hank,

Thanks for the comment! To help answer your question, hereíre a few more pictures of what I'm doing.

Name:	0416 outrig covers 05.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	274.3 KB
ID:	155963 Click image for larger version

Name:	0416 outrig covers 07.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	300.5 KB
ID:	155964
Hereís the steps set in between the outriggers on our porch table. The outside of the outriggers will be inside the side wrap once the belly wrap and side wraps are all installed. The slot where the sliding blot moves back and froth is a perfect access space for mice, as they only need about a ľĒ gap to squeeze through. Once they get into the side wrap area around the outriggers, they can get into the center belly pan area too and raise all sorts of havoc.

Name:	0416 outrig covers 08.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	237.8 KB
ID:	155965
The covers I made will go on the outside of the outriggers (where outside is the other side from where the steps are located). These covers completely cover the slot, and will prevent any mice (or snakes) from getting through the slot and into the belly. Iíll either rivet the covers to the outriggers, or use flat head machine screws and lock nuts to hold them in place. I did end up with a couple of gaps that Iíll need to vulkum. But I will not vulkum the entire cover in place as I want it to drain any water that gets into them. Been thinking more about how to deal with the water too Ė stay tuned.

Name:	0416 outrig covers 09.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	155966Click image for larger version

Name:	0416 outrig covers 10.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	155967
As you can kinda see in these pictures, the steps will have very little clearance between them and the outrigger once installed. So, with the steps in place, I donít think Iíll have enough clearance for pop rivets, unless I countersink them on the step side. I doubt thereís room for fuzzy stuff to help keep debris out either, but Iíll need to experiment a bit and see what I can work out. I know flat head machine screws will work since I can countersink the heads, so I may just go with them and not even try rivets. First things first though Ė I need to cut the old outriggers out and weld the new ones in place.

Chris
Old 04-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #330
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauxter View Post
put me down for 2!! It keeps snakes out too, right?
I would so, yes. In keeping with standard pricing for extra-special Airstream specific items, I think $100 for the pair of them would be about right... Gotta cover my research and development costs after all!
Old 04-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #331
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
I would so, yes. In keeping with standard pricing for extra-special Airstream specific items, I think $100 for the pair of them would be about right... Gotta cover my research and development costs after all!
Well $100 for the first 5, which are all you are making. After that you will of course have to do a special production run to recreate the originals, and charge $200 each.

(Just trying to help you pay for your trailer)

On a serious note, very very nice walkthrough and description. It's like a how-to article, "Critters, Entry Steps, and You". Well done.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:07 PM   #332
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
That is very nice work Chris.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:44 AM   #333
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Chris, thanks for the additional photos and explanation. I now understand what you are doing, and I have saved your posts and pictures for future reference.

Hank
RankAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #334
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjlairf View Post
Chris, thanks for the additional photos and explanation. I now understand what you are doing, and I have saved your posts and pictures for future reference.

Hank

We have several threads bookmarked that we refer back to quite often too.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #335
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Last weekend, or maybe it was two weekends ago, I finished the fridge frame. Mounted 3/4" plywood on it and drilled holes in the bottom frame to mount to the floor.

Name:	0421 fridge frame.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	266.7 KB
ID:	156413
Here it is with the fridge on top of it. Just sitting here for now - not bolted in place yet. Gets the fridge out of our way for now too.

Today, we started working on the bed frame since it was rainy pretty much all day.

Name:	0421 bed frame 01.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	156414 Click image for larger version

Name:	0421 bed frame 02.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	156415

Name:	0421 bed frame 03.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	219.5 KB
ID:	156416
The frame is 1 x 2 basswood, covered with red alder plywood on the outside. The middle partition is covered in luan plywood. The frame is 17 1/2" deep, so a fair amount of storage. The cut out you can see right by the white bucket is for two 4" furnance ducts. One duct will turn 90 degrees and exhaust heat into the hallway, and the other one will continue back to heat the bathroom.

Chris
Old 04-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #336

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
How about a suggestion? Make a 32" wide notch into the center divider...this way you can lift the bed, lay in a card table and lower the bed...

Just a thought based on our 29'er when I made a new bed frame for it.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #337
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
How about a suggestion? Make a 32" wide notch into the center divider...this way you can lift the bed, lay in a card table and lower the bed...

Just a thought based on our 29'er when I made a new bed frame for it.
But, that doesn't give a heck of a lot of head room for playing cards, does it?
Old 04-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #338
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
And, yes, I AM married to a real brat. But he makes beautiful things and puts up with me saying "you know I've been thinking and maybe we should (insert whatever) while we're at it". Usually ends up taking more time and costing more money!

Kay
Old 04-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #339
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Forgot the thank you, Hi Ho for the suggestion on the card table storage! Would have never thought of that on our own, and it is a great idea.

Kay
Old 04-22-2012, 06:28 PM   #340
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Finished the bed today. Well, mostly anyway. After struggling a bit over how to support the foot of the bed where it goes over the wheel well, I decided to add a 5/8" plywood support to the inside of the foot wall. It follows the same cutout over the future ducts and wheel well, but it adds a ton of support to that corner. I then put together a 5Ē wide plywood strip that will mount to the 1 x 2 we screwed to the wall. Itís supported with an ĒLĒ girder made out of a 1 x 2 and 1 x 3 piece of basswood. The hinge is attached to this 5Ē strip next to the wall. The pictures below show the hinge strip and the rest of the plywood top in place. Neither is screwed into place yet as I want full access to under the bed for the rest of the plumbing we still need to do. But now we have a place to store our mattress, which is currently sitting on the bed in our sonís trailer (and is in the way for us to use their trailer this summer).
We still have to run electrical in the wall at the head of the bed for reading lights and cover it with red alder plywood too. Need gas struts for the bed also. We'll have to be careful where we put the lights so that the bed can be opened for access to the storage without taking the lights off the wall!

Chris
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0422 bed 01.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	156515   Click image for larger version

Name:	0422 bed 02.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	156516