Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1970 - 1973 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Pocatello , Idaho
Help!? To buy or not to buy?

Hello all! I am a new member and have been perusing and searching this site for the last few days. I am amazed at the tips and tricks that I have found.

My husband and I have always loved Airstreams and last year had the opportunity to purchase a 1967 Overlander and it was in immaculate condition! The seller wanted 4500.00 for it and we had him talked down to 4000.00. It was over Memorial Day weekend and we didn't have the complete funds for the purchase so we were trying to scrounge every last penny including selling our 66 Jets trailer. Unbelievable but when we called to let him know we would be there in a 1/2 hour to pick it up (stupid us did not leave a deposit) he had just sold it for his original asking price about 1 hour before. We were so disappointed I almost cried
We decided that it was just not meant to be and somewhat got over it.

We recently found a 1971 Sovereign I believe International Land Yacht and are going through the buy or not buy. The seller wants 7000.00 for it and he did tell my hubby that he could come down to 6500.00. Both me and my husband don't feel like it is worth that much. The PO before him had Alzheimers and had painted the inside walls and had started to paint on the outside too. He says that everything works and we were able to verify only some of those. It is quite a bit rougher inside then the 67 was so we were quite disappointed. We are not shy of the work by any means so that is not the issue. The issue is.....Is it worth the 6500.00? My husband says he thinks that the seals on all the windows need replacing and the bathroom fan/vent is broken and has a large hole in the cover. DH also thinks that the seals on all the vents will need repacing. There is a slight rear end separation but I don't think it is due to floor rot since the entire floor seems pretty tihgt. A plus from what I have read here. There are also little things such as a few of the light fixture covers inside are all broken up and need replacing, as well as some of the outside covers. The glide (not sure what these are called) doors/covers on the cabinets stick and do not open and close easily. The cabinets are not painted but we would like to take the paint off of the walls. The freidge/freezer is not original and the PO had put some paneling looking stuff on the front that is also needing a re-glue. Also, what looks like trim around the skylights is coming off and will need to be glued back on (with what we are not sure yet).

Again we are not scared of the work and had planned on some. However, compared to the 67 Overlander from last year that would have not needed any work other than just making it ours so to speak, this Sovereign is a lot more work for a lot more $.

I was just wanting some opinions as to what you all think about the asking price. The owner has told us that he has had people come from NV, MT and UT to see this trailer and none have made an offer (Sovereign is located in Lava Hot Springs ID, about 30 minutes from us). Is this a clue to? Should we just let this one go and wait and watch for a different one?

We just don't know! We need all opinions please. Also is there anything else we need to look for?

Thanks in advance! All comments are greatly appreciated!
Karebere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:54 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Pocatello , Idaho
Oh I forgot to add that for the price he is going to throw in the stablizer hitch and stuff for towing.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:08 PM   #3
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karebere View Post
The seller wants 7000.00 for it and he did tell my hubby that he could come down to 6500.00. Both me and my husband don't feel like it is worth that much.
From your description, it sounds like it's going to need quite a bit of work and $$ on top of the purchase price. If it was me, I'd probably back away and wait for something else. I know it's tempting to grab an Airstream, thinking that if you don't, you won't find another one.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:17 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
me too

i'm of the same opinion as Mel. While being prepared to do some work to make things right, starting with a rough condition unit can be overwhelming. Even with an "everything works" unit in good condition, there will be plenty to do. The saving feature or our purchase was that there was nothing that prevented us from enjoying it with some camping even though there were things to do.

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
I'd Pass On This One

Karebere,
It sounds like a high asking price for the amount of work you see that needs to be done. And you can bet that if you were to puchase it and start tearing into it, you would find lots and lots more that needs to be done. And from what I have read here, if there is any rear end separation you may be in for a lot of exspensive work. If the asking price were half of what it is and you want a project then it might be worth it. On the other hand, if you want to go camping right away, I would wait on the next gently used Airstream to come by.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
It's over priced and needs to much work. My advise: don't buy it. Once you get into the work and realize how much you have to invest you'll kick yourself. Keep looking, something in much better shape will show up. Unless you're really looking for a project, it's better to buy an Airstream in the best possible condition, even if you have to pay a bit more. If you're not sure about a purchase, ask before buying, you'll get good advise from knowledgeable people on the forum.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:59 PM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to these Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Sorry about you missing the Overlander, but life is sometimes like that. Some things are just not meant to be. As to the Sovereign, it sounds like it could be more than you would want to take on. Unless you want your hobby to become Airstream restoration rather than camping, I would run from that one.

Keep looking and your perfect Airstream will appear.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
This is NOT the Airstream for You

Welcome to the Forums. There are many members to offer great advise.
AND have you checked the Forums Classified?

The Overlander is 26ft? And the Soverign 31? A foot does make a difference.

I am with all the others who say NO. This is NOT a good buy.

We know the feeling. We've been there. Many have had the same experiences. You will find your Airstream.
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:13 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
You were committed to spending $4000 on the Overlander. If you are not afraid of the work needed on the Soverign then you might offer $4000 or less. You say the owner has had no offers from other lookers. Your offer may be a wake up to him that he is wanting too much.

"Slight rear separation" sounds like "a little bit pregnant."

Not knowing your ability or desire as it pertains to fixing things, I am hesitant to say No, don't buy this trailer - but I am kinda thinkin' it.

Roger
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:41 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
long or short?

one other thing...
we chose a medium sized unit because we like to travel around. This year, Las Vegas, Zion, Park City, Jackson Hole, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Dinosaur National, Durango, Soccoro and home. A medium sized trailer is good for that... If we were of the mind to spend a week or two in the same spot, we'd have a long unit with a little more space. A 26 is about max for gypsy camping and a good compromise for some park camping. I wouldn't gypsy in a 31.

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:12 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Pocatello , Idaho
Thanks everyone for all the info/help! We did eventually get him to realize that the trailer was not worth what he was asking and finally agreed on a deal we could live with. However, the deal was that everything was working and then we found out that the AC was not. We were again at a point where we had to decided if it was worth getting and trying to put work and $ into fixing the AC or not. Ultimately we decided that unless he was willing to fix the AC we would walk away. Good thing too cuz that 67 Overlander that we looked at a year and a half ago will be ours by Friday! We are both so very excited we are like kids waiting for Christmas and Friday seems so far away! I guess I will be moving to the 67 Overlander forums and changing my profile. I will post some pics as soon as I get them. Thanks again to everyone for your imput into my dilemma! I look forward to years of comradery here on this site and making all kinds of new friends. I have discovered that Airstreamers are just like Harley Riders (We belong to that group too!), and I like that!
Karrie
Old 08-06-2008, 11:33 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Congratulations!!! I have a 31ft Sovereign (1976) that was in perfect condition, except for the frig., and I paid a lot less than your Sovereign guy wanted. See, the Overlander was supposed to be yours all along. It just took some time. We also have a 24ft Argosy (1978) that we love. You can't stop at just one you know.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:38 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karebere View Post
Thanks everyone for all the info/help! We did eventually get him to realize that the trailer was not worth what he was asking and finally agreed on a deal we could live with. However, the deal was that everything was working and then we found out that the AC was not. We were again at a point where we had to decided if it was worth getting and trying to put work and $ into fixing the AC or not. Ultimately we decided that unless he was willing to fix the AC we would walk away. Good thing too cuz that 67 Overlander that we looked at a year and a half ago will be ours by Friday! We are both so very excited we are like kids waiting for Christmas and Friday seems so far away! I guess I will be moving to the 67 Overlander forums and changing my profile. I will post some pics as soon as I get them. Thanks again to everyone for your imput into my dilemma! I look forward to years of comradery here on this site and making all kinds of new friends. I have discovered that Airstreamers are just like Harley Riders (We belong to that group too!), and I like that!
Karrie
Karrie,
What happened that the '67 became available again??? It's funny how things work out, isn't it? Friday is coming up soon, although I know it probably seems a month away to you.
So what's your ride? I ride an '03 Ultra Classic Electraglde.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:48 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Glad you waited, but yes how did you get the '67. We waited till I found a good deal. We used the price guide and was toward the high end but are happy... Thing is we have had two trips and I find little things I have to fix... I'm sure you will with yours as well.... But is it totally useable and thats what I wanted...
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:13 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Pocatello , Idaho
As far as the 67, I happened to see it parked in front of a home about 2 towns away from its original home about a week after it was sold. My best friend is a Rural Route Carrier and that home happens to be on her route. She got me the address and after reverse directory she verified the names of the residents. I kept the phone number for a long time and after our other deal went sour, I got the urge to just call and see if they were interested in selling it. I lucked out cuz they really didn't need it and only bought it for a family reunion. How would it be to have the $ to just fork out for a tt for a family reunion? As for the question about our Harley~ ours is a 2002 Dyna Ultra Glide in a Forrest Green ( I think there is a technical name for the paint color but that is what it is to me) It is my husbands baby but I love to ride with him and in fact the members in our local HOG group were amazed at me doing a 9 or so hour all day ride when I was 7 months preggo with DD. I will tell you that after that ride I was not wanting to get back on for a while!