Old 06-11-2019, 10:00 PM   #71
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Silverton , Oregon
Leak Test

These things being done, I didn't have any more excuses to delay pulling the trailer out and doing some leak checking with the garden hose.

I was nervous.

I'll break the tension, there were leaks.

List of things that leaked:
1. All the vista view windows
2. the right front corner window
3. the exterior 110vac power outlet,
4. The fresh water tank inlet
5. the hole drilled through the door frame at the factory and left empty.

all the dread I had, and none of these seem that bad,

1. the vista view windows will have to come out, that's a bummer, they don't leak between the panes, the leak between the outer pane and the frame. I used the combo of polyshim between the panes. and 1/16" polyshim between the outer pane and frame, and I never felt like it filled the gap enough. I was right. my current plan is to pull them, and either double that up, or use a tube of butyl window seal, and then trim to appearance.

2. The right front corner window is a bummer, but I think changing the butyl tape I used and moving it will seal that window up better. the frame isn't in as great of shape as you would hope since I had so much trouble getting them apart to fix them. the left side window seemed fine.

3. the exterior outlet, leaked around the housing, we popped it off, and it appears that Airstream originally sealed it with hope and good intentions. I used vulkem after masking it with blue tape, and installed it again with new bucked rivets, and it should no longer be a problem.

4. The Fresh water inlet was something I wanted to replace, as there was no way to make the chromed plastic funnel assembly look better, but I figured I shouldn't go looking for problems. While we were leak testing however, not only did the housing leak around the edges, the funnel captured all the dirty water running down the side of the trailer and sent it into what would have been the water tank.

Ick, I was given permission to find a alternative. A quick search on Amazon found a polished stainless threaded cap with integrated vent, that looks quite nice, but now I needed to patch the hole. I made up a patch to go on the inside of the trailer, and leave the original opening exposed. The original opening was cut out cleanly, and didn't look to out of place, but my wife asked me to stretch my abilities a bit and make a decorative patch, she traced out a shape and I cut it out of some aluminum scrap. I polished it up, and I have it ready to be riveted on, I ran out of time to get it riveted, but here it is with the blue tape still on it.

It makes us smile, I hope others like it as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	freshwater inlet patch.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	343101  

Old 06-11-2019, 10:02 PM   #72
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Silverton , Oregon
I've been reading "The Long Long Trailer", and if they can call their 28' trailer a whale, I think our 31' counts

Tags
sovereign