Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1970 - 1973 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-27-2017, 11:48 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Regina , Saskatchewan
Bulkhead issues?

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this problem with the bulkhead pushing up? Frame or axle issues? It's a1971 that I'm considering purchasing.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ad_7_1503272924554.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	293435   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3109.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	293436  

myersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:31 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

I have the same problem with mine. Guessing it has something to do with the axel directly below
buddy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:56 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Atlanta , Georgia
I've cut and installed a couple of new walls into our Sovereign whilst renovating it and we have brand new axles on it, and I'd imagine that our fuselage flexes a bit less than most with the spray foam insulation we put in. The problem in your image is something I ran into when I put a trim piece onto the face of a wall (in almost exactly the same place) that was too tight of a fit. I don't know if that one is original or not, but the fuselage flexes quite a bit going down the road and I would think vertical supports that are too tight would eventually damage the upper aluminum panels.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Chad
chadvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:38 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by myersc View Post
Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this problem with the bulkhead pushing up? Frame or axle issues? It's a1971 that I'm considering purchasing.

Thanks.
I don't think the bulkhead changed length, so what is happening is the ceiling is now closer to the floor.

How can that happen? The most likely answer is that the walls of the shell are not being properly supported by the plywood floor and/or the frame out riggers are no longer supporting the floor. Either or both conditions will permit the shell to drop resulting in what you have observed.

Deterioration of floor and out riggers seems to go hand in hand and is unfortunately all too common on older units, especially if they were stored outside or lived in full time. The root cause is moisture damage from leaks or condensation which rots the floor and rusts out the out riggers.

A consultation with someone in your area who has dealt with floor/out rigger replacement might be worth your time if you are still considering purchasing this trailer.

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:11 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Atlanta , Georgia
Solid point Burnside, didn't even think about that, but when we were replacing our subfloors they definitely had some sag going on, especially between the 2 main steel runners and the outriggers, so it would make sense that the things that would suffer the most would be vertical supports sitting right around where those main runners are.
chadvocate is offline   Reply With Quote