Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1970 - 1973 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2021, 04:58 PM   #121
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Poland , Maine
Hi Bauxter, do you happen have a leftover photo of how you lifted your shell? I've been looking all around and would love to know what I need for a shell liftoff...thanks! Gantry is the word but I can't picture it....
BTW, it looks like yours in this 2011 photo is just floating magically....
Shapmaui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 05:49 PM   #122
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Shap,
Also google "Airstream shell off gantry" brings up several you tubes and images.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 05:25 AM   #123
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Sunset Beach , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapmaui View Post
Hi Bauxter, do you happen have a leftover photo of how you lifted your shell? I've been looking all around and would love to know what I need for a shell liftoff...thanks! Gantry is the word but I can't picture it....
BTW, it looks like yours in this 2011 photo is just floating magically....

I doubled up 2x6's horizontally just below the lower stacked window level, and bolted to each vertical rib, then added cross bracing, then lifted the shell off the frame, one end at a time using a 6 ton bottle jack. I was working solo, and this seemed like the easiest way for me to get it done. Once the shell was off, I rested it on 4 custom saw horses and a couple 4x6's
I like the gantry idea, but I don't think I could have been successful with that approach.
The shell sat for quite a while before being reattached, and I lost plenty of sleep during storms, worrying about the shell getting damaged.
I will look through some old photos, and if I find a pic, I will post it.

Mike
Bauxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 06:16 AM   #124
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Poland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauxter View Post
I doubled up 2x6's horizontally just below the lower stacked window level, and bolted to each vertical rib, then added cross bracing, then lifted the shell off the frame, one end at a time using a 6 ton bottle jack. I was working solo, and this seemed like the easiest way for me to get it done. Once the shell was off, I rested it on 4 custom saw horses and a couple 4x6's
I like the gantry idea, but I don't think I could have been successful with that approach.
The shell sat for quite a while before being reattached, and I lost plenty of sleep during storms, worrying about the shell getting damaged.

Mike
Thank you for that explanation. I think I can picture it, possibly, but you know how those description games go. I am imagining a 3 legged camel on a boat, and you probably are imagining a toaster with three legs near the great pyramids.... the 2x6's go on the outside, and you bolt them to the vertical ribs, through the outside skin/shell I am imagining? Maybe lets start there.....and ALSO your restoration was done with your AS generally outdoors? My challenge now is finding appropriate space indoors for my 31' Sovereign, where an outside location is much easier for me to find. But a year outside through an east coast winter seems like it may be a bad idea...
Old 07-22-2021, 06:37 AM   #125
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Poland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Shap,
Also google "Airstream shell off gantry" brings up several you tubes and images.
Oh! excellent. Now, now, now- I see how a gantry works. And how jacking from inside works..excellent, and thanks again.
Old 07-22-2021, 06:40 AM   #126
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Poland , Maine
Quote:

Mike
A few minutes later from my last post......Now that I followed Hittenstiehl post to search Gantry on Google, I found gantry videos, AND internal jacking videos....not external supports, like I imagined...I'll now reread your post, and spend some proper time thinking. Thanks again!
Old 07-23-2021, 06:57 AM   #127
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapmaui View Post
A few minutes later from my last post......Now that I followed Hittenstiehl post to search Gantry on Google, I found gantry videos, AND internal jacking videos....not external supports, like I imagined...I'll now reread your post, and spend some proper time thinking. Thanks again!

The reason my shell was off the frame for so long, was because I pulled the frame out from underneath it, to use as a template to build the new frame. It took quite a while to get the new frame fabricated.
I couldn't find any more of the internal framing pics, and the pics below were just the start of the full internal frame. The wood frame was the thing that actually rested on the 4x6's and ground supports.

There are several different threads on Airforums, with variations on this theme.
The gantry, though, is a pretty cool solution.

mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6106-smaller.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	659.1 KB
ID:	400216   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6107-smaller.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	415.3 KB
ID:	400217  

Old 07-24-2021, 06:38 AM   #128
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Poland , Maine
Quote:
The reason my shell was off the frame for so long, was because I pulled the frame out from underneath it, to use as a template to build the new frame. It took quite a while to get the new frame fabricated.
I couldn't find any more of the internal framing pics, and the pics below were just the start of the full internal frame. The wood frame was the thing that actually rested on the 4x6's and ground supports.

There are several different threads on Airforums, with variations on this theme.
The gantry, though, is a pretty cool solution.

mike
Oh yeah, I see now how you may have lifted. Braced supports along the bottom of each side of the trailer. There seem to be many variations of the internal support from very basic (as I've read the frame only weighs about 400 lbs) to very over-stabilized.

I'm now in the phase of researching this work, and deciding if I want to take it all on...aahhhh, ggguuulp...

Any chance....How long would you estimate it took you (in consecutive hours, or weeks, or months) your reno?

Also, did you end up selling the renovated one? Did you get your $ back?

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2021, 11:27 AM   #129
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
getting my money out of the trailer

I sold it for more than what $ I had in it, but I shopped a lot at RV surplus shops and got a lot of good deals.
I had 500 to 1000 hours in it, but I was working solo, and am slow...and had a few redo's.
The one I am working on now is a frame-on frame repair, not a replacement. Its gutted and have been stockpiling parts, as I see deals online.
Old 12-24-2023, 05:38 AM   #130
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Replacing 1974 tail lights with LED assembly--Question?

I am hijacking my own thread here to inquire if anyone has experience with the new LED integrated light assemblies. (assemblies that have a backup light in the center of the lens, and stop/turn lights on the outer ring of the lens.)
I purchased 4 of these lights, from some far off land, and my concern is that the wiring appears to be approx 20 or 22 gauge wire, and possibly could be copper coated aluminum, versus solid copper strands.
Given the moving and shaking a trailer has, do these wires pose a problem down the road (pardon the pun). The supply wire is 14ga copper. A 14ga to 20ga connection seems problematic.
Thoughts?
*Note>> yes, I am taking the chrome rings off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tail lights.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	411.8 KB
ID:	439751  
Old 12-25-2023, 05:02 AM   #131
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
I prefer to solder and shrink tube those type connections as it prevents prevents corrosion.

Difference in wire gauge shouldn't matter.
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 12:54 PM   #132
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Cable TV connection

I am running my electrical for my '74 rebuild, and am wondering if an outside cable hookup is needed anymore. Do RV parks still offer cable?
I have an external TV antenna, as well as a hotspot for internet.

mike
Old 01-22-2024, 07:41 AM   #133
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We have run into cable hookups in campgrounds occasionally. We have used it a few times also as we do have the hookup on our trailer. I wouldn't say it's the norm. Over the past 12 or so years, we've used it about 5 or 6 times. It's nice when it happens. We don't use our TV much. We've probably used the antennae about the same amount.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1973, 31', remodel, skin replacement, sovereign