Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1970 - 1973 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2017, 08:11 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Charleston , South Carolina
1973 31 Foot Airstream Sovereign

This is my first attempt at posting on this forum, in fact it's the first time I've ever posted on any forum.

I recently bought a 1973 31 Foot Airstream Sovereign for $75.00. I think I want to move it to some property I recently bought on a coastal South Carolina island and turn it into a tiki bar, on a small hummock on the property overlooking the marsh. It is in rough shape with a couple of dents that I'm sure can be beat out, a couple of small bullet holes I hope can be repaired, and three broken windows and no interior. I priced the 3 windows and they are over 20 times what I paid for the trailer. I may try to put my own upscale interior in it, polish it up and tow it around, but I will probably stick with the plan to make it a tiki bar. I have not tried to move it yet because it needs new tires. The wheels are rusted so I've been dousing the lug nuts with WD-40.

If anyone has any advice on tiki hut -vs- restoration, please let me know.
pat356jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:04 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Fallon , Nevada
Big Job Ahead

1. WD-40 is a lousy lubricant and even worse as penetrating oil. Acetone mixed 50-50 with automatic transmission fluid is the old standby.
https://www.engineeringforchange.org...netrating-oil/ recommends cooking oil instead of ATF; cheaper and works a little better. Ed's Red is popular with firearms shooters: http://forum.accurateshooter.com/thr...lvent.3837877/ and it also shows results of a semi-scientific Drexel University engineering school test. Oil of Wintergreen is highly spoken of but I've never tried it.
WD-40 stands for the 40th Water Displacing formula tried. It's a Water Displacing chemical that was never intended as a lubricant.
2. Better get a good air compressor and a rattle wrench for removing the rusted in nuts and bolts.
3. Buy a selection of nut breakers to remove the nuts the rattle wrench doesn't.
4. Buy the proper personal protective gear: full-coverage eye protection, heavy gloves, face shield, dust mask, etc.
5. Get to know the hard points that allow you to jack up an Airstream without tweaking it an ruining it.
Probably a bunch more that I can't think of straight off the top of my head.
Scorge-ION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat356jones View Post
If anyone has any advice on tiki hut -vs- restoration, please let me know.
If you're balking at the price of the windows, I'd advise you not to attempt a restoration. *Everything* will be over 20 times what you paid for the trailer. $75 is a great deal, but the price of the trailer is just the downpayment. A restoration is a long and expensive road.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:51 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
Restore it, give it a tiki theme if that's your thing. Then at least it's usable and will have resale value.

On the other hand if it's really bad it might not be in your reno budget and you could tow to your location and use it as your open air tiki bar and don't worry about any thing really working.
Monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 12:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorge-ION View Post
1. WD-40 is a lousy lubricant and even worse as penetrating oil. Acetone mixed 50-50 with automatic transmission fluid is the old standby.
https://www.engineeringforchange.org...netrating-oil/ recommends cooking oil instead of ATF; cheaper and works a little better. Ed's Red is popular with firearms shooters: http://forum.accurateshooter.com/thr...lvent.3837877/ and it also shows results of a semi-scientific Drexel University engineering school test. Oil of Wintergreen is highly spoken of but I've never tried it.
WD-40 stands for the 40th Water Displacing formula tried. It's a Water Displacing chemical that was never intended as a lubricant.
2. Better get a good air compressor and a rattle wrench for removing the rusted in nuts and bolts.
3. Buy a selection of nut breakers to remove the nuts the rattle wrench doesn't.
4. Buy the proper personal protective gear: full-coverage eye protection, heavy gloves, face shield, dust mask, etc.
5. Get to know the hard points that allow you to jack up an Airstream without tweaking it an ruining it.
Probably a bunch more that I can't think of straight off the top of my head.
Kroil penetrating oil works better than any other pen. oil but can not be pur. localy only mail order. much better than pb blaster.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 12:58 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Saint Joseph , Michigan
"This is my first attempt at posting on this forum, in fact it's the first time I've ever posted on any forum. "

Good job.. now it would make a lot of us happy if you would "first time" post a few picture, love to see your project to be tiki bar..
TruckerFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 04:33 PM   #7
Tampatomgirl

1990 34' Excella
Zephyrhills , Florida
Tiki bar vs restoration

Either way, you're going to invest some money. Do you want to turn it over for a profit or run a tiki bar? Either endeavor will cost you thousands.

Good luck on whatever you decide!
Tampatomgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampatomgirl View Post
Either way, you're going to invest some money. Do you want to turn it over for a profit or run a tiki bar? Either endeavor will cost you thousands.

Good luck on whatever you decide!
As much as I like to see old Airstreams on the road, at some point they all must say goodbye to asphalt... So going full-on tiki in a Carolina marsh could be accomplished for a song, as it doesn't have to go anywhere. Doesn't even have to be fully water-tight. I'm thinking yank out all of the windows, and replace them with 1X6s made into panels, throw some adirondack chairs around, and a bunch of palm thatch, then start pouring drinks!
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 03:00 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyHomemakr View Post
As much as I like to see old Airstreams on the road, at some point they all must say goodbye to asphalt... So going full-on tiki in a Carolina marsh could be accomplished for a song, as it doesn't have to go anywhere. Doesn't even have to be fully water-tight. I'm thinking yank out all of the windows, and replace them with 1X6s made into panels, throw some adirondack chairs around, and a bunch of palm thatch, then start pouring drinks!
Lets drink to that!
Monza is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign