Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1970 - 1973 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2017, 05:42 PM   #1

1972 31' Sovereign
Athens , Georgia
1972 Full remodel

Hi everyone!

My girlfriend(Juliet) and I just bought a 72 off craigslist. We are planning on remodeling it into a full time living airstream. We are both in school, I am studying Emerging Technologies, Juliet is studying nursing. I build props, sets, and prototypes for events, photos, and some commercials/movies, so I have a background of building.

The seller inherited it after his brother-in-law passed. The brother-in-law acquired it and (according to the sellers limited knowledge) put in a new floor, cabinets, electrical, shower, and toilet with some plumbing. I'd love to say he did a fantastic job on it all, but he cut all kinds of corners and we want to check what work we cannot see yet.

Upon our first exterior inspection, we noticed some dents and holes that have been filled with silicon. On the belly there are multiple parts that have been scabbed over and a good bit of rust. I was wondering if I should start first on the belly looking at the frame for places that need to be fixed or if I should start by pulling out the plywood floor that the initial owner recently put in?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4080.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	392.9 KB
ID:	278710   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4082.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	317.1 KB
ID:	278711  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4220.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	567.4 KB
ID:	278712  
Wes-Juliet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Congratulations!
You probably don't want to hear this, but, drop the belly pan. It'll reveal almost everything that really needs doing. It'll be nasty. You'll hate it (and me) but if you are serious about this venture, do it. Order the new axels you need (sorry) now so that when you're done with whatever horror awaits you in the belly pan you'll be ready to put those on.
Welcome to the club!
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Given the year and length, also research rear sag so that you're able to determine if it's a problem with your unit.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:28 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Hudson , New Hampshire
Welcome to the club. I got into the same exact trailer this past summer. I have it gutted to start attacking the frame, floor and rear end separation. A quick way to check if yours has it is to jump on the rear bumper and look at the gap between it and the shell. If you see the gap opening up then you and a rear end separation issue to fix. You should also be able to see how rotten the floor and frame in the rear end by inspecting the rear hatch and bumper compartment. There is a lot of info on the forums on how to fix and prevent it from happening again.
air_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:49 PM   #5
@steadystreamincashios

1968 28' Ambassador
1964 26' Overlander
1976 Argosy 26
Heber Springs , Arkansas
Congrats on the purchase! Exciting times. My wife and I purchased a 72 sovereign earlier last year. Everything was already gutted except the bathroom. So it made our life a little easier. We have been at a stand still since September because of finances and me losing my job. But like others have said, you definitely should pull the belly pan and see what's going on. I'm thankful we did a shell off because where the toilet was we have a major rust issue and separation. Luckily I am a certified welder. Best of luck to you guys! Can't wait to see the finished product!
Zcashio is offline   Reply With Quote