Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2010, 05:15 PM   #121
x

XXXX , XXXX
Hey MC looking forward to seeing your progress. Lucky dog you get to spend the weekend working on your a/s. I had more setbacks. My friend arrived with the frame parts all 1 " to short. His co-worker can't measure, and my welder friend took off for the weekend. So no work will be done. I wish I was as far ahead as you. Miles to go and a short time to get there. WC.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:18 PM   #122
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I have a metal stretcher I'll sell to you for 5 mil CAD... Kinda like a board stretcher (something I wish I had a few times over the years after cutting one too short). Goes along with a bridge I can sell ya..

Sorry to hear about your setbacks. Kinda sucks...

I discoverd a setback this afternoon, but it's pretty minor compared to yours. One of our vista view windows leak. We had over 2 1/2" of rain this week, and the bottom of the window channel had about 1/4" of water in it. So, not bad, but still, it shouldn't leak at all. I'll reseal it better this weekend.

MC & MK
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:08 PM   #123
x

XXXX , XXXX
Metal stretcher excellent idea. I have another problem. I been using my reversible driil in reverse for half an hour now and the hole still won't fill in. Any other $5 mil tools for that.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:22 PM   #124
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I think you need to unsharpen your bit a tad more....

Kay says its scary to find someone with the same warped sense of humor.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:20 AM   #125
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Hey Minno,

I notice that your inner wheel wells go below the floor. On my 67 the metal outer wells went under the floor and the inners attached to the floor.
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:32 AM   #126
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
What you see in the pictures are the outer wheel wells(as in the ones closesd to the wheels on the underside outside of the trailer) - they are black plastic on ours and attached as they were originally - under the floor. We haven't put the inners on yet - they are supposed to attach to the inner skins and on top of the floor. We'll get them on once we get the inner skins on both sides.
However hubby and I are having a debate: are the inner wheel wells on the inside or outside of the trailer as you see it? I consider the inside wheel wells the ones you see INSIDE the trailer once it's put back together. Chris says those are the outers
(Which came first - the chicken or the egg).
Who is right? I promise no shots will be fired ...

Kay
Old 09-04-2010, 09:34 AM   #127
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
And since I do most of the posting, I get to call them what I want!

Chris

until she corrects me that is...
Old 09-04-2010, 09:45 AM   #128
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
I surely do not know which is correct but the plastic ones that you see inside the trailer once it is put back together I have and would call the inners.
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:01 PM   #129
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Gorgeous day - mid 60's, sunny, perfect camping day... Or in our case, perfect day to work in Little Girl. Made good progress, and got the icky part done (insulating).

Started off by installing the vent cover over the galley area vent pipe. Which I forgot to get pictures of. It needs to be cleaned up anyway, so I’ll try and remember to take some after I clean it. I had thought getting the rubber gasket over the vent pipe was going to be hard, but it slipped on really easy. A bit of vulkum, add the screen, and 8 screws later it was done.

We tried to install the starboard (curb side) upper curved wall section by ourselves. After a couple of failed attempts, we put that on hold until we could get some help. So we worked on insulating.

Then our son-in-law’s brother Steve came over, and I grabbed Mike (son-in-law) and Steve, and the 3 of us got the upper wall in place while Kay was making a store run. Clecos are great! So is having 2 tall young men around! Like the lower panels, most of the rivet holes lined up, but I did end up drilling new ones here and there.

Here’s where we’re at right now. Curb side walls are in, and street side is insulated. We’ll install those walls tomorrow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0904 inner skins 01.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	110040Click image for larger version

Name:	0904 inner skins 02.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	110041Click image for larger version

Name:	0904 inner skins 03.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	110042

While working on the insulating, I also re-installed the vista view shade holders. I was surprised at how few rivets were initially used to hold them in place, and how little insulation was behind the plastic. I used 4 pop rivets across the middle, and 4 Olympic rivets across the top and bottom. Since they had all cracked where the original rivets were, I dimply drilled new holes for the new rivets. I also beefed up the insulation all around them.

Name:	0904 vista view shade 01.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	110043Click image for larger version

Name:	0904 vista view shade 02.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	110044Click image for larger version

Name:	0904 vista view shade 03.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	110045

Chris
Old 09-04-2010, 06:09 PM   #130
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHoot View Post
I surely do not know which is correct but the plastic ones that you see inside the trailer once it is put back together I have and would call the inners.
I look at them like a car fender. The inner fender is the one closest to the wheel, and it's inside the outer fender. That's why I call the black ones we've installed already the inner wheel wells. Diversity is great though! You should hear Kay and I discuss port & starboard vs. curb side & street side.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:12 PM   #131
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Busy couple of days. Yesterday Kay and I installed the lower and middle skins on the port (street) side. Time consuming since we needed to cut new holes for the new outlet boxes, new wiring, and new electrical and water fittings we mounted on the outside. For the most part, my measurements were accurate, but somehow I got off on the water tank fill. That hole is a tad larger then intended, and a tad ugly right now. But I’ll clean it up later, and it’ll be inside a cabinet anyway…

Name:	0906 inner skins 01.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	110146 Click image for larger version

Name:	0906 inner skins 02.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	110147Click image for larger version

Name:	0906 inner skins 03.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	110148
The first picture is how far we got yesterday. The next two show the upper curved wall skin on. Mike (son-in-law) helped us install that this afternoon. All but two holes lined up on that entire panel, which was great!

Name:	0906 inner skins 07.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	110149
This picture shows where the converter will be installed. Directly aft of the fridge on the port (street) side. Still looks like a mess, but it's an organized mess now. Looks a lot better than before the inner skin was installed. The yellow wire is the extra 12/2 I ran to run the a/c (I disconnected it to install the skins).

Name:	0906 wheel wells 01.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	110153
Another thing I did today was install screws to hold the inner wheel wells to the plywood floor from underneath. When I took her apart last year, I noticed that the wheel wells had sagged in the middle, leaving a gap between the plywood and the plastic. The metal strips had rusted through in a few places as well. With the holes and the gaps, water from the tires was able to get directly to the underside of the plywood – not good. These screws, and eventually vulkum to seal the seam and rivets, should go a long way to keep that from happening again.

Name:	0906 umbilical 01.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	110151Click image for larger version

Name:	0906 umbilical 02.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	110152
Finally, I removed the old umbilical connector (cracked, and corroded beyond repair), and installed a new umbilical cord. The watertight connector I bought was about ¼” too small for the original opening, so I made a patch and drilled a new hole the correct size. I opted to go with a permanent umbilical instead of a removable one because we’re going to build a battery box on the a-frame, which will be directly in front of the old connector, making it hard or impossible to use. The future battery box will cover where the umbilical enters the trailer.

Oh – I also resealed the inside of the leaking vista view. Actually did that first thing this morning. We’re supposed to get storms tonight, so I’ll check it in the morning.

We have now accomplished what we set as our goal for this summer: get the inner skins back on.

The front lower skin is waiting until the umbilical wiring is done, and the front headliner needs to be fabricated yet. The center ceiling skin is going to wait awhile for wiring, etc. too. Otherwise, everything we get done after now is gravy! Which is good, since we won’t be able to work on her for the next couple of weekends due to family obligations. This being Minnesota, it’s hard to tell how long this fall we will have to continue working.

Chris & Kay
Old 09-06-2010, 05:55 PM   #132
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Congrats on meeting your goals for the summer. I've been following your thread from the start and you have done nice work at a good pace. Looks like you will probably get Little Girl out camping in next year.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:45 PM   #133
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbosa View Post
Congrats on meeting your goals for the summer. I've been following your thread from the start and you have done nice work at a good pace. Looks like you will probably get Little Girl out camping in next year.
Thanks Norm & Mary! But me thinks you be a tad overly optimistic about us camping in her next year.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:01 PM   #134
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Columbia Falls , Montana
I am so amazingly impressed with all your work. (Secretly I always hope for an update on the Little Girl Refurb when I check for new posts!)

Can't wait to hear about her hitting the road. Thanks for sharing all the details with us!
MTsafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:08 PM   #135
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Wow! You just made our night!!! and day, and night, and...
Old 09-07-2010, 04:49 PM   #136
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Quick update - the leaking vista view that I resealed yesterday did not leak last night, even with 3/4" of rain over several hours.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:25 PM   #137
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Hi, can you give a little more info on the "Watertight Connector" you mention and photographed in post 131 (last 2 photos)? Is it an RV item or a Home Depot / Lowes type of an item?
Thanks,
MarkR

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:57 PM   #138
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
Hi, can you give a little more info on the "Watertight Connector" you mention and photographed in post 131 (last 2 photos)? Is it an RV item or a Home Depot / Lowes type of an item?
Thanks,
MarkR
Hi Mark,

It's a Home Depot item. It's a watertight service entrance connector. The 1 1/2" size is just right for the umbilical cord and two future wires I’ll run through it for the battery box (+12v and ground/neutral). The opening through the rubber gasket is oblong, so I’ll add the two additional wires next to the umbilical cord. It’s separated from the aluminum skin by a gasket I made out of a scrap inner tube. And overly vulkumed as you can see in the pics (I still need to clean that up a tad).

Chris
Old 09-08-2010, 07:05 PM   #139
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota

Name:	0908 inner skins 04.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	110320
Quick evening project – I insulated and installed the inner skin under the front window. Ordered the fuse block for the umbilical cord yesterday. Hopefully that will arrive soon, although other stuff will keep me from working on her for the next two weekends.

For you sailors – our Navy son, Dan, made Chief!
We’re going to his pinning ceremony out in Groton next week. He's a nuke MMC(SS)

Chris
Old 09-08-2010, 07:31 PM   #140
x

XXXX , XXXX
Hey MC just a few posts to catch up on
Wheel wells go with kay"s names Happy wife Happy life lol
The Vista Views you pop riveted the middle of the shades Thru the shell or where?
looks good to see the inner skins going in
Did you move the convertor to street side and what cabinet will it be in and why move it?
The permanent umbilical cord. I was reading a thread on theft deterrents and a removable cord will prevent thief from having lights and brakes. Since most thefts occur at night they would be less likely to tow away w/o lights. Food for thought.
You resealed vista view window from inside is this a temporary repair. I thought it would be best to reseal from outside.
I also look forward to new posts from lil girl and glad to see your progress. Maybe someday I can see her in person.

Tags
1972 sovereign